No announcement yet.

I don't understand high-end wristwatches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I have never understood this either. I only buy watches because of the aethetics only. Like Asher, I use the cell phone as the clock.

Flubber,

I was dating this girl who was going nuts over this Louis Vutton purse, I was like, "DONT BUY IT, you can buy 15 purses for the same price!"

She had a really low self esteem about herself and was always so consious about everything, including the brands that she bought.
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
      There is one major advantage to high-end watches ... the crystal the watch face is made out of is unscratchable. I have a $200 Casio G-Shock, low end of that line, and I can't scratch this if i TRY ... every other watch i've ever had scratches almost immediately, as i'm sort of klutzy and have poor depth perception (running into things a lot).
      I wouldn't call $200 high-end, but even so, you can replace a crystal. Admittedly, I've only done so in Turkey, where it was really cheap, so maybe I have a warped sense of how cost-effective that is. But it's hard to imagine that paying 10x what my watch costs in order to get a scratch-proof crystal would be worth it, either.
      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

I have this 200 USD watch my parents bought me for my 20th birthday..
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

I wouldn't call $200 high-end, but even so, you can replace a crystal. Admittedly, I've only done so in Turkey, where it was really cheap, so maybe I have a warped sense of how cost-effective that is. But it's hard to imagine that paying 10x what my watch costs in order to get a scratch-proof crystal would be worth it, either.
          Turkey

Will post Turkish chick pics in a week when this thread drops to page 5 so as to keep Rufus out of trouble.
          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I've never spent more than £20 on a watch. When the batteries go, I throw them away.

Mrs Gimp bought me my latest, a classy (£40!) diver's watch.
            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
              She had a really low self esteem about herself and was always so consious about everything, including the brands that she bought.
              I think that hits the nail right on the head, it's about acceptance. Somehow commercial society has managed to associate acceptance with spending ludicrous amounts of money on crap. It's selling a dream, yet somehow exploiting loopholes in the human psyche...
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

It's consumerism 101 - selling a lifestyle, not a product. You're paying to be that chick from sex and the city, or paris hilton - not to have a nice purse.

Sometimes, though, I prefer branded products because they're the only ones that work for me.
                I've bought these 140 USD shades, for example, because they were the only ones who fit my scull.
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

You could have got a pince-nez
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

My lab timer is my watch and life companion
                    The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Az
                      It's consumerism 101 - selling a lifestyle, not a product. You're paying to be that chick from sex and the city, or paris hilton - not to have a nice purse.

A friend of mine was chatting to a very attracting woman in a New York bar. She happened to notice his inexpensive watch and abruptly walked out.
                      Last edited by Alexander's Horse; October 8, 2005, 09:17.
                      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Re: I don't understand high-end wristwatches

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                        Does anybody actually understand this?
                        Yes, in marketing we use a model called the means-end chain to analyze consequences of product use.

The starting point are the product's attributes. Some of the attributes of a high-end watch could be brand name, the inclusion of precious metals and/or gems, and advanced technology. Attributes can be concrete or abstract.

From these attributes, two types of benefits can be derived: functional and psycho-social. You (and some other posters) have been thinking very functionally about product benefits. Some have already mentioned status or higher self-esteem, which are psycho-social benefits that a high-end watch brings.

If you go higher-up, you end up with (terminal or instrumental) values, which are usually stupid things like "happiness".

Generally, you'll find that luxury products can all be categorized similarly. The outcome for attributes, benefits, and values isn't much different for high-end automobiles, for instance.
                        These aspects are also emphasized in advertising, where you see the product being used in a very luxurious and sophisticated setting.

Comment

u guys are all in denial cauZ jooz jealous of my bling biatch!~`
                          :-p

Comment

High end wristwatches are an accepted form of jewelry. Anybody who enjoys wearing jewelry would enjoy wearing a high end watch, or a lookalike.
                            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Rufus understands it
                              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                                Flubber,

I was dating this girl who was going nuts over this Louis Vutton purse, I was like, "DONT BUY IT, you can buy 15 purses for the same price!"

mrs flubber has fine self esteem but she just goes nuts for these vutton things . So last Christmas I got her one and it made her delighted. I would take a thousand bucks and flush it down the toilet for that level of "kid in the candy store-- omg reaction" and this in many ways felt similar.

I don't understand it but frankly I don't need to. What's the point of making good coin if you can't buy something stupid and frivolous for someone you love??
                                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Working...
                                X