Catholic Church no longer swears by truth of the Bible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trev
    It is correct to say that Jesus taught in parables, and therefore they are to be interpreted rather than taken as fact. However Genesis chapters 1 and 2 are written as fact and not as a story or parable and therefore should be taught as fact, likewise the book of Revelation is written as future prophecy and should likewise be treated as events that will happen in the future , although allowance needs to be made for John's difficulty in describing things that had no names in his time.
    As the Catholic refuses to teach these sections of the bible as fact, they lose credibility and membership to churches who teach the whole bible is true. As the Anglican (ie Church of England) is even more wishywashy on the bible they suffer even more from loss of membership, as do much of the Lutheran, Uniting (ie Methodist, Congregational etc)
    Churches which believe the bible is true will keep their relevance, others will lose it.

Genesis is a creation myth, just like any other creation myth, anyone who thinks otherwise (like yourself) need a lesson in logic.

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

Catholic High School Girls In Trouble !!!

(Kentucky Fried Movie ? I forget...)

Ooops, yes:

A bunch of skits spoofing TV shows, commercials, movies, previews etc etc. There's also a long dead on target spoof of "Enter the Dragon" called "A Fistful of Yen". The film is very 70s--some of the references won't make any sense to anyone born after 1977. Also much of the humor is exceptionally crude and there's a huge overabundance of gratuitious female nudity and fairly graphic sex. This film wouldn't be made today and would easily have gotten an NC-17 rating if it had. Still, the film is often hilarious--I laughed myself silly at some of the crudest humor possible. So, it's worth seeing, but if you're easily offended do NOT see it! Also where else can you see Bill Bixby, George Lazenby, Donald Sutherland and Henry Gibson in a film with the coming attractions of "Catholic High School Girls in Trouble"?

I must confess in the U.K. convent girls always had a bad reputation too, and if their school's name could be rhymed or punned with a word relating to sexual immorality, it usually was- 'St. Mawes' Whores', 'St. Joe's Pros', et cetera.
      I was thinking of exactly that movie when I wrote that.

He's got the Midas touch.
      But he touched it too much!
      Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Harley
        I hate to tell you this guys - we're the "easy" ones. How many of you have turned down even a half-way good looking girl.

BTW - in my devout Catholic days, I stayed a virgin into my early twenties. It gave guys like Sikander more opportunities.
        So they were desperate? That probably explains it. Anyway at a time in my life when landing a girl in bed seemed about as difficult as landing an F-14 on a carrier by instruments I suddenly discovered women who took the controls at the slightest hint of hesitation on my part and almost always got us home to bed safely. Ah, fond memories.

Comment

guilt makes the sex better
          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
            guilt makes the sex better
            Indeed. Though I've never been able (or perhaps willing) to embark on a long relationship with a really devout woman, the short relationships have been extremely passionate.

Comment

Genesis is a creation myth, just like any other creation myth, anyone who thinks otherwise (like yourself) need a lesson in logic.
              Why? There are many similarities between many of the differing accounts of the flood. Surely the fact that there exist similiarities, suggests that they reference a historical event.

While it is true that to go to the bible for a scientific account of creation is not helpful, that is a far cry from saying that there is no truth in what Genesis says.
              Last edited by Ben Kenobi; October 11, 2005, 18:33.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

This is another nail in the coffin for the slowly dying catholic church. The churches which are growing are those who teach that the Bible is true from cover to cover. For the catholic church to teach that parts of the bible are in error will see them continue to lose relevance and membership.
                Very true that they are growing, and there is much we can learn from the evangelicals in both understanding and appreciation of scripture. Too often, it is easy to let the priest do all the heavy lifting for us.

However, I would question whether the Catholic church truly teaches that scripture is in error, which is not the impression I glean from the statement at all. Rather, it seems to me a caution that in order to interpret Genesis, requires more then to assume that each word is literally true.

For example, if one interprets a creation day to be the same as any other, then how can one reconcile the account in Genesis with the evidence that the universe is far older? It seems to me more sensible to interpret a creation day as a long period of time.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

I'd never realized items like how "God" changes case and person in the beginning of Genesis. At least that's how I explain it, my wife could do a much better job than my limited understanding, I am utterly terrible when it comes to languages.
                  Are you talking about when some translations have Lord and LORD, which acknowledges the differences in the Hebrew? LORD being YHWH?

I don't know very much about Hebrew, and less about the translation into English, so anything your wife can tell me would also be helpful.

Comment

Ben is on well taking the path of a more intellectual approach to religious matters. This is very good
                    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Unfortunately, very few Jews that I know of believe that some of the stories are just that, allegories. Must either believe they are completely fake, and written by a human, or events that actually transpired as it is written.

Comment

Working...
                      X