No announcement yet.

Catholic Church no longer swears by truth of the Bible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You mean the part about the talking snakes wasn't true?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by trev
      This is another nail in the coffin for the slowly dying catholic church. The churches which are growing are those who teach that the Bible is true from cover to cover. For the catholic church to teach that parts of the bible are in error will see them continue to lose relevance and membership.
      nonsense
      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Sikander

Catholics are only superior to Protestants in one respect: creating extremely twisted and easy young women for former horndogs like myself to have a lot of fun with in college.

Catholic High School Girls In Trouble !!!

(Kentucky Fried Movie ? I forget...)

Ooops, yes:

A bunch of skits spoofing TV shows, commercials, movies, previews etc etc. There's also a long dead on target spoof of "Enter the Dragon" called "A Fistful of Yen". The film is very 70s--some of the references won't make any sense to anyone born after 1977. Also much of the humor is exceptionally crude and there's a huge overabundance of gratuitious female nudity and fairly graphic sex. This film wouldn't be made today and would easily have gotten an NC-17 rating if it had. Still, the film is often hilarious--I laughed myself silly at some of the crudest humor possible. So, it's worth seeing, but if you're easily offended do NOT see it! Also where else can you see Bill Bixby, George Lazenby, Donald Sutherland and Henry Gibson in a film with the coming attractions of "Catholic High School Girls in Trouble"?

I must confess in the U.K. convent girls always had a bad reputation too, and if their school's name could be rhymed or punned with a word relating to sexual immorality, it usually was- 'St. Mawes' Whores', 'St. Joe's Pros', et cetera.

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (Reuters) -- A man described by authorities as a known sexual predator was chased through the streets of South Philadelphia by an angry crowd of Catholic high school girls, who kicked and punched him after he was tackled by neighbors, police said Friday.

Rudy Susanto, 25, who had exposed himself to teen-age girls on as many as seven occasions outside St. Maria Goretti School, struck again on Thursday just as students were being dismissed, police said.

But this time, a group of girls in school uniforms angrily confronted Susanto with help from some neighbors, police said.

When Susanto tried to run, more than 20 girls chased him down the block. Two men from the neighborhood caught him and the girls took their revenge.

Meanwhile out on the fringe:

The churches which are growing are those who teach that the Bible is true from cover to cover.
        Bonkers.
        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Wow, Kentucky Fried Movie! I haven't seen that since 1984 or so. I remember it being some funny **** though.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

<p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Bad reputation, wtf does that mean? You want it. They give it. I found protestant and jewish girls to be just as easy. Except now we don't call them easy, just user friendly.
              "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
              —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

I hate to tell you this guys - we're the "easy" ones. How many of you have turned down even a half-way good looking girl.

BTW - in my devout Catholic days, I stayed a virgin into my early twenties. It gave guys like Sikander more opportunities.
                The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Harley
                  How many of you have turned down even a half-way good looking girl.
                  Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by trev
                    For the catholic church to teach that parts of the bible are in error
                    The Catholic church doesn't teach that - please read the Bishops statement carefully.

If you can't even read a Bishop's statement properly, what chance have you got of understanding the Bible?
                    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                      If you can't even read a Bishop's statement properly, what chance have you got of understanding the Bible?
                      Hint:

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                      Another myth is "protestants" have a different belief about the authority of the bible - again its only the fundamentalist fringe that claim the Bible is without error. There just happens to be a lot of those people [...] who have never been intellectually very strong, in fact they are anti-intellectual in matters of faith.
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Anyone who actually thinks that all of the stories in the Bible are literal, is deluded. This is even coming from a semi-religious Jew. Saying that God made an allegory to teach us a lesson about life, does not mean that he doesn't exist.

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                          I'm curious -- what did you atheist morons thought the whole Protestant Reformation was all about, if not this? I thought it was common knowledge that Luther required fundamental authority to the bible, not the church structure.
                          Protestantism was a protest against the Church structure and about the authority of the bible over that of the pope, yes. However, protestantism doesn't inherently believe in a literal view of the scriptures. This literalism is actually fairly isolated among the protestants (though it was more common in early protestantism)
                          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Nuclear
                            Anyone who actually thinks that all of the stories in the Bible are literal, is deluded. This is even coming from a semi-religious Jew. Saying that God made an allegory to teach us a lesson about life, does not mean that he doesn't exist.
                            And from the Christian perspective, Jesus gave most of his teachings in parables, which are stories which tell a moral lesson, to be interpreted not to be taken literally. It would be an absurdity to read the parables literally.

Comment

It is correct to say that Jesus taught in parables, and therefore they are to be interpreted rather than taken as fact. However Genesis chapters 1 and 2 are written as fact and not as a story or parable and therefore should be taught as fact, likewise the book of Revelation is written as future prophecy and should likewise be treated as events that will happen in the future , although allowance needs to be made for John's difficulty in describing things that had no names in his time.
                              As the Catholic refuses to teach these sections of the bible as fact, they lose credibility and membership to churches who teach the whole bible is true. As the Anglican (ie Church of England) is even more wishywashy on the bible they suffer even more from loss of membership, as do much of the Lutheran, Uniting (ie Methodist, Congregational etc)
                              Churches which believe the bible is true will keep their relevance, others will lose it.

Comment

Fundamentalist christian denominations seem to have a hard time in Europe,
                                where (during modern times) they never had any significant influence and probably never will have (compared to more moderate protestant churches and catholicism)
                                so maybe it has something to do with education:

In regions where you have poor education (and/or fundamentalist christian churches who are able to influence education) you will have a growing number of christian fundamentalists, whereas in areas with high levels of education not influenced by fundamentalists their numbers will be low.
                                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Working...
                                X