No announcement yet.

Chief Justice Roberts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too bad the Conservatives haven't figured out that the only way for them to win is to be Red Tories, not crazy bastards like you.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

If there was a halfway decent opposition, that wouldn't be the case. I seem to recall the PC winning an election or two, before they exploded in a fireball of ineptitude.
      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Too bad the Conservatives haven't figured out that the only way for them to win is to be Red Tories, not crazy bastards like you.
        For a radical lefty to call me crazy, I must be just about in the middle
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

No Ben, I'm in the middle. I'd gladly vote for the old PC party if they were still around today. You are a crazy bastard.
          "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
          "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
          "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Nope.

As Kontiki says, he's in the middle

So is NYE (sort of)

You are a crazy bastard. You're possibly even more radical compared to Canadian society than I am.

Plus, you're wrong and I'm right.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

How in the world did this turn into a discussion about Canada?

Anyway, Kennedy and O'Conner are moderate conservatives (everything is NOT judged on the basis of abortion, Ben... try looking at states rights and commerce clause issues). Calling them even close to liberals is funny. Scalia, Thomas and Rehnquist were the conservative bloc. Ginsburg, Breyer, and Stevens are the liberals and Souter is somewhere between liberal and moderate liberal.

And yes, Ben is a nutjob.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Apparently, a description of the papers held from the committee was released:
                "The Whitehouse released the secret Roberts documents hidden for the confirmation hearings...the documents consisted of pages covered in swastikas, pentagrams, goat heads and even an Ichthus swallowing a Darwin fish!"

Comment

But what does that have to do with Canada?
                  The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

So who will be the next nominee? The word on the street is that Bush will try to keep the fundies happy by going with an ideologue. Any opinions on that? Also it's supposed to be a woman who will take the last open seat.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
                      But what does that have to do with Canada?
                      The US Supereme Court is a federal institution, and its rulings therefore apply to all US states, including Canada. Duh.
                      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Silly me, I keep forgetting.
                        The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

I have a couple of questions/observations about the US Supreme Court and Chief Justice Roberts.

What powers does a Chief Justice have over his counterparts? Isn't a majority all that is needed for a ruling?

And shouldn't the chief justice be drawn from the existing ranks of justices? It would seem that this would be better, given that it would mean the Chief Justice would have prior experience on the bench.

And I must say that it was smart of Bush to nominate someone so young... you'll be stuck with Roberts for a long time, methinks...

Comment

Chief justice doesn't mean ****.

Mostly just titular/ceremonial. Some administrative duties. Is supposed to preside over any impeachment hearings of the President.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

On the second part, Dracon, it's customary to bring in a CJ from outside. Out of 17 Chiefs in SCOTUS history, only three have been elevated from associate justice. Two others had been associate justices previously, but weren't on the court when nominated for CJ.
                              Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

you know... Fez describes himself as "center-right"
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X