Chief Justice Roberts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chief Justice Roberts...

The latest news and headlines from Yahoo News. Get breaking news stories and in-depth coverage with videos and photos.

By JESSE J. HOLLAND, Associated Press Writer
    38 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - John Glover Roberts Jr., backed by a united Senate Republican majority and about half of a divided Democratic minority, is taking his place as the nation's 17th chief justice, to lead the Supreme Court into the 21st century and through turbulent social issues that will affect generations to come.

Roberts was to be confirmed Thursday by at least 77 senators in the GOP-controlled Senate, or more than three-fourths of the 100-member chamber, as President Bush's selection to replace the late William H. Rehnquist. The 50-year-old U.S. appeals court judge then was to be quickly sworn into his new position at the White House so he could take his seat on Monday in time for the new court session where justices will tackle issues like assisted suicide, campaign finance law and abortion.

The Bush administration wants the Supreme Court to reinstate a national ban on a type of late-term abortion, and the court already has scheduled arguments on whether New Hampshire's parental notification law is unconstitutional because it lacks an exception allowing a minor to have an abortion to protect her health in the event of a medical emergency.

Anti-abortion and abortion rights activists both have their hopes pinned on Roberts, a former government lawyer in the Reagan and first Bush administrations. While Roberts is solidly conservative and his wife, Jane, volunteers for Feminists for Life, both sides were anxious to see how he will vote on abortion cases before the high court.

Roberts told senators during his Senate Judiciary Committee confirmation hearings that past Supreme Court rulings carry weight, including the Roe v. Wade decision that legalized abortion in 1973. He also said he agreed with the 1965 Supreme Court ruling in Griswold v. Connecticut that established the right of privacy on the sale and use of contraceptives.

But he tempered that by saying Supreme Court justices can overturn rulings.

During four days of sometimes testy questioning by Democrats, Roberts refused to answer questions that would hint how he'd rule on cases, a position that Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg called "unquestionably right" at a speech at Wake Forest University on Wednesday.

"If the Constitution says that the little guy should win, then the little guy's going to win in the court before me," Roberts told senators. "But if the Constitution says that the big guy should win, well then the big guy's going to win because my obligation is to the Constitution."

Over and over, he has assured lawmakers his rulings would be guided by his understanding of the facts of cases, the law and the Constitution, not by his personal views. "My faith and my religious beliefs do not play a role," said Roberts, who is Catholic.

Roberts' confirmation brings the number of Catholics on the court to a historic high of four. The Roman Catholic Church strongly opposes abortion.

All of the Senate's Republicans showered praise on Roberts. "If being intelligent, brilliant, a superb lawyer, the greatest legal mind of your generation and well qualified is not enough, what is?" said Sen. Lindsey Graham (news, bio, voting record), R-S.C., a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee that recommended his confirmation on a 13-5 vote.

Democrats, even as they complained about his Reagan-era opinions and the White House's refusal to release his paperwork from the George H.W. Bush administration, acknowledged his brilliance and judicial demeanor.

"It is hard to see Judge Roberts as a judicial activist who would place ideological purity or a particular agenda above or ahead the need for thoughtful legal reasoning," said Sen. Ron Wyden (news, bio, voting record), D-Ore., one of the Democrats supporting Roberts.

Added independent Sen. Jim Jeffords of Vermont, who often allies himself with the Democrats: "It is clear Judge Roberts has the necessary legal experience and character to be the chief justice."

Roberts has the potential of leading the Supreme Court for decades. Not since John Marshall, confirmed in 1801 at 45, has there been a younger chief justice. Oliver Ellsworth was 50 — about six weeks from turning 51; and John Jay, the first chief justice, was 44. He served from 1789-1795.

Roberts also will hold a record of sorts — nominated to succeed two different Supreme Court justices within seven weeks. Bush originally named him to succeed retiring Justice Sandra Day O'Connor in July. Rehnquist's death led to the second nomination on Sept. 6, and Roberts now will be confirmed as chief justice while O'Connor remains on the court until the president selects a new replacement.

Democrats already were warning the White House not to nominate a conservative ideologue to replace O'Connor. Bush was expected to announce the nominee soon.

"While this nomination did not warrant an attempt to block the nominee on the floor of the Senate, the next one might," Sen. Charles Schumer (news, bio, voting record), D-N.Y., said.

Roberts grew up in Long Beach, Ind., working summers in the same steel mill where his father was an electrical engineer and serving as high school class president and captain of the football team.

After graduating with honors from Harvard University — both as an undergraduate and in law school — he clerked for Rehnquist when he was an associate justice on the Supreme Court and later worked as a prominent lawyer and judge in Washington. He argued 39 cases in front of the Supreme Court, and was considered one of the nation's best appellate lawyers before being tapped for the federal appeals court.

___

On the Net:

Senate: http://www.senate.gov

White House: http://www.whitehouse.gov

Supreme Court: http://www.supremecourtus.gov
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Democrats already were warning the White House not to nominate a conservative ideologue to replace O'Connor.
    Don't do it!!!... Or we'll split our vote on the conservative ideologue too. Just watch us.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

It's a shame the GOP controls the government but, given that they do, I don't see much cause for complaint; given what the GOP stands for these days, Roberts doesn't seem that bad: no competency problem, no ethics problem, no blind adherence to dogma -- in fact, you kind of wonder how they let him into the party.

And, remember, it means we DON'T have a thread titled "Chief Justice Scalia..."
      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

I'll enjoy watching DRoseDARs and his filthy anti-christian friends being dragged from their homes and sent to the whipping post to soothe God's furious anger against homosexuals.
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
          I'll enjoy watching DRoseDARs and his filthy anti-christian friends being dragged from their homes and sent to the whipping post to soothe God's furious anger against homosexuals.
          I have a number of guns in my house and I know how to use them...

Edit: I suppose I should put that in the proper context.
          The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

When they kick in your front door, how you gonna come?
            With your hands in the air, or on the trigger of a gun?
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
              When they kick in your front door, how you gonna come?
              With your hands in the air, or on the trigger of a gun?
              Most of the liberal whiners here would just piss their pants.
              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH

Most of the liberal whiners here would just piss their pants.
                kick in my door and see what happens
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH

Most of the liberal whiners people here would just piss their pants.
                  Fixed
                  Last edited by Dinner; September 29, 2005, 13:00.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

<-strike-> sans dashes
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Oerdin... < s > is the strike command (without the spaces)
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

test

Comment

Che... what did you do before that edit? your sig was "stricken" (is that the right word?)
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Leave out the closing tag.

Comment

Really fixed now.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X