Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VaTech really needs to start scoring 7s rather than 3s.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• It doesn't matter. BC isn't going to score again. Frankly, I'll be surprised if they get it inside the VT 40.
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• And the nice defensive TD to put the exclaimation.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer
          Frankly, I'll be surprised if they get it inside the VT 40.
          Should have stuck to my guns--I had originally typed "beyond their own 40."

Comment

• That was a poor game played by BC. Still no respect to VaTech from me, except that their quarterback played well.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• I'm shocked at the utter lack of respect the defense of VTech gets from you Dan. It's always, oh the other team played a poor game. HELLO! When all the other teams play 'poor games', perhaps the defense is the reason for it!
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Yeh, yeh, I know. But these aren't championship wins to me. BC has a pretty good team that didn't play well, but Maryland? C'mon!

Texas taking down OSU in Columbus was championship ball. USC taking down ND in South Bend was championship ball.

We'll see how the Miami game goes.

Comment

• I agree with you both.

VT has an unholy appearing defense; however, they have not had a signature, statement game yet. BC, as I said before, was overrated.

However, in my opinion, Miami is highly overrated as well. VT will likely play kick-the-can with their nuts, and the pollsters will go ape****. But Miami isn't that good this year...

Comment

• Well, I consider the defense and special teams to be just as good as the team last year, but the offense is greatly improved, even though Bryan Randell was no slouch.

Comment

• Ouch!

BYU kick returner lost fingertip against Notre Dame
                      Associated Press

PROVO, Utah -- Brigham Young kick returner Breyon Jones lost a fingertip during a game last week at Notre Dame.

Coach Bronco Mendenhall said Wednesday that Jones may have gotten the finger crunched between two helmets in the Fighting Irish's 49-23 win Saturday.

"I don't know which finger, but about three-quarters of the nail and up is gone. They closed that and sewed it together after the game," Mendenhall said.

Jones is the Cougars' top kickoff returner with 13 for 303 yards -- an average of 23.3 per kick. Jones didn't practice Tuesday, but Mendenhall said he expected Jones to be ready to play Saturday against Air Force.

"I just asked him if he could catch it and he said he could, so he'll be back there," Mendenhall said.

Comment

• 1. Texas (4) 49
                        2. USC (1) 45
                        3. Virginia Tech 41
                        4. Alabama 30
                        5. Georgia 28
                        6. Notre Dame 22
                        6. UCLA 22
                        8. Miami 16
                        9. Penn State 9
                        10. LSU 9

ARV: Florida State 3, Ohio State 1.

Comment

• I've never seen anything like this, but I agree wholeheartedly with this decision and the sentiment that Weis is the best coach in the country. When you see something this good, you do whatever possible to go whole hog.

Apparently, some were spreading FUD about Weis going to the NFL in order to kill the recruiting momentum. We aren't having any of that! He's ours till he drops dead from being overweight!

Head Coach Charlie Weis Signs Contract Extension

Weis inks a new deal to continue as coach through the 2015 season

Oct. 29, 2005

NOTRE DAME, Ind. - University of Notre Dame head football coach Charlie Weis has signed a new, 10-year contract to continue as coach of the Fighting Irish program through the 2015 campaign.

Weis, who is in his first season at the Irish helm in 2005, signed an original six-year contract (that took him through the 2010 season) when he was hired on Dec. 12, 2004, as Notre Dame's 28th head football coach. This new agreement - that takes effect with the 2006 season -- adds an additional five years to that commitment. In his first season with the Irish in 2005, Weis has led the Irish to a current 5-2 record that has earned his team rankings this week of ninth in the Associated Press media poll, 10th by USA Today (the coaches' poll) and Harris Interactive, and 15th in the Bowl Championship Series standings. The Irish already have defeated three ranked opponents (AP poll) on the road - posting wins over 23rd-ranked Pittsburgh, third-rated Michigan and 22nd-ranked Purdue. To this point in the season, this '05 Notre Dame team represents the highest-scoring Irish team in modern history at 37.9 points per game. Quarterback Brady Quinn (in only seven games) already has broken the Irish single-season record for touchdown passes with 20, including a single-game record six against BYU. Quinn has played a key role in the Irish currently averaging 340 passing yards per game, far above the all-time Notre Dame season average of 252.7 from 1970.

Meanwhile, wide receiver Jeff Samardzija ranks second in the country with his 11 TD receptions, including at least one in a Notre Dame-record seven straight games to start 2005. Wide receiver Maurice Stovall set a Notre Dame single-game record of his own versus BYU with four TD receptions.

"In a very short period of time, Charlie has clearly and impressively demonstrated the ability to take the Notre Dame program where we all want it to go," said Notre Dame athletics director Kevin White.

"Whether you talk about on-field results, off-the-field understanding of the Notre Dame athletics and academic culture, recruiting, public relations, or any other area, Charlie already has indicated that he possesses the abilities to position our program to compete at the elite level of college football.

"We're excited that Charlie wanted to extend his commitment to Notre Dame, combined with the University's interest in furthering its relationship with him. All of us are enthusiastic about what the future holds for Notre Dame football with Charlie Weis as our head coach. We're confident that we've got the best coach in America ensconced at his alma mater for the remainder of his career." Said Weis, "Since the first day I arrived at Notre Dame as head football coach, one of my primary goals was to be able to see this job through to the time my son, Charlie, would graduate from the University of Notre Dame and to stay in this position until I retire. By restructuring this contract, adding an additional five years, this allows me to accomplish that goal. Maura, Charlie, Hannah and I are very happy to become a permanent fixture in the Notre Dame community."
                          Last edited by DanS; October 29, 2005, 15:04.

Comment

• Don't know if this is such a smart move by Notre Dame. Wasn't Willingham 8-0 at this point in his first season? I think Weis is a much better coach than Willingham, but you never know...
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Willingham's nothing like Weis.

Let's put it this way. ND is fun to watch for the first time in my lifetime, including during Holtz's tenure. I can't wait until ND plays Tennessee. I doubt you'll hear any Irish fans gainsay this deal.
                              Last edited by DanS; October 29, 2005, 15:35.

Comment

• OU 31 - NU 24

Oklahoma joins Nebraska in the ranks of the mediocre.
                                KH FOR OWNER!
                                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X