Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guynemer
    I'd vote against PIM.
    me too. I find it rediculous that you get points for having goons on your team.
    Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Removed PIM, set to head to head.

Code:
      League ID#: 	4355
      League Name: 	Apolyton
      Password: 	samurai
      Season Type: 	Full
      Draft Type: 	Offline Draft
      Max Teams: 	20
      Scoring Type: 	Head-to-Head
      Max Moves: 	No maximum
      Max Trades: 	No maximum
      Trade Reject Time: 	2
      Trade End Date: 	March 9, 2006
      Waiver Time: 	2 days
      Can't Cut List Provider: 	Yahoo! Sports
      Trade Review: 	League Votes
      Post Draft Players: 	Follow Waiver Rules
      Weekly Deadline: 	Daily - Tomorrow
      Start Scoring on: 	Week 1
      Roster Positions: 	C, C, LW, LW, RW, RW, D, D, D, D, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN, IR
      Stat Categories: 	G, A, +/-, PPP, SH%, FW, W, L, GAA, SV%, SHO
      Link to join: http://hockey.fantasysports.yahoo.com/hockey/4355
      Password: samurai
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Wouldn't a straight Fantasy Point League make the most sense?
        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
          In a fantasy point league (available only to Custom Leagues), points are awarded based on how well your players perform in each of several statistical categories. All real-life statistics have associated point values, and each player's points are summed to produce your daily total.

So, if in your league, a goal is worth two points, an assist one and a penalty minute one, a player with two goals, three assists and 10 penalty minutes would score 17 [(2*2) + (3*1) + (10*1)] fantasy points.

Fantasy points, which are only awarded to starting players on your team, are tallied throughout the season. Each team with the highest total at the end of the year wins its league championship.

Fantasy point scoring is only available in Custom Leagues, and the commissioner must specify both the categories used and the point modifier values. If the commissioner does not specify a point modifier for a given category, no fantasy points will accrue in that category.
          What's everyone think?
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

i don't know how those work

Comment

oh, sounds like rotisserie still. i'd do it, but i like the ability to make a comeback in H2H, which is lacking in others.

Comment

I'm still trying to figure this out.

How do I draft players on my team?

Comment

Another thought:

The problem with fantasy hockey is that the stats are weighted very, very heavily towards goalies. For instance, we would only have two active goalies on roster, but about half of all the stats would be goalie stats. For this reason, the first few rounds of the draft would likely be all goalies, as the value of even a mediocre goalie would be far higher than the best skater.

So either we need more skater stats, or fewer goalie stats.
                  "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                  "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Another thought:

The problem with fantasy hockey is that the stats are weighted very, very heavily towards goalies. For instance, we would only have two active goalies on roster, but about half of all the stats would be goalie stats. For this reason, the first few rounds of the draft would likely be all goalies, as the value of even a mediocre goalie would be far higher than the best skater.

Agreed - I don't think I've ever seen someone with Brodeur finish out of the top three of a fantasy points-based pool.

How about Powerplay assists and goals?

H2H is more entertaining, but also alot more work. Considering the lacklustre participation we got from some people last time, I'm not sure H2H is a good idea.
                    Last edited by Hot Mustard; August 19, 2005, 12:22.

Comment

Yeah, I wasn't happy last time. I missed the autodraft, and lost out on picking Martin Brodeur.

Don't know if I'll be able to play, since you want folks to stick through the entire season, but if you need someone to fill a spot, let me know.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Another thought:

It seems the commissioner can select the point modifiers for each stat, though. So, IIUC, you could simply skew the goalie stats down (or offensive stats up) to balance it out.

Or am I totally off base here?
                        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned

Comment

It seems the commissioner can select the point modifiers for each stat, though. So, IIUC, you could simply skew the goalie stats down (or offensive stats up) to balance it out.

Or am I totally off base here?
                          You are exactly right.

However, it ends up being more art than science. A friend of mine has been doing this for years in his pool and each year we collectively discuss and tinker with the formula a little - looking for the holy grail of balance.

Mind you, that league includes pretty much every stat there is so it is much harder. Last time we gave too many points for Faceoff Wins and the relative value of solid centers skyrocketed.

Comment

But I don't think you have to use every stat. From the Yahoo explanation:

Fantasy point scoring is only available in Custom Leagues, and the commissioner must specify both the categories used and the point modifier values. If the commissioner does not specify a point modifier for a given category, no fantasy points will accrue in that category.

Comment

Should we switch to fantasy scoring?

Comment

But I don't think you have to use every stat. From the Yahoo explanation:
                                Sorry, I wasn't clear - by "that league", I meant that friend's league, not all points-based ones.

Comment

Working...
                                X