Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince" out tomorrow!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
    Also, if you hold stock in Dumbledore's general impression on Voldemort's horcrux, the final one has to be something of Ravenclaw's or Gryffindor's. The diary was one, the ring, Hufflepuff's cup, the locket, and Nagini. Although Nagini seemed to be more speculative. The special award to the school wouldn't fit as something from Ravenclaw or Gryffindor (IIRC, Dippet gave him the special award and he was a Slytherin, so that doesn't work neither).
    I was rereading GoF and came across an interesting tidbit in the Sorting Hat speech - the Sorting Hat itself is an artifact of Gryffindor's.

EDIT: I see you thought of it already

Comment

• Ah, thanks for the fact finding, Kuci!! I thought of the idea, but I thought I made it up or something when I couldn't find it at the end of CoS (though I did find the quote I posted)!!

Damn I wished post counts counted in the OT... I think this is like my 108th post in this thread .
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• A thousand years ago or more
        When I was newly sewn,
        There lived four wizards of renown,
        Whose names are still well known:
        Bold Gryffindor, from wild moor,
        Fair Ravenclaw, from glen,
        Sweet Hufflepuff, from valley broad,
        Shrewd Slytherin, from fen,
        They shared a wish, a hope, a dream,
        They hatched a daring plan
        To educate young sorcerers
        Thus Hogwarts School began.
        Now each of these four founders
        Formed their own house, for each
        Did value different virtues
        In the ones they had to teach.
        By Gryffindor, the bravest were
        Prized far beyond the rest;
        For Ravenclaw, the cleverest
        Would always be the best;
        For Hufflepuff, hard workers were
        Most worthy of admission;
        And power-hungry Slytherin
        Loved those of great ambition.
        While still alive they did divide
        Their favorites from the throng,
        Yet how to pick the worthy ones
        When they were dead and gone?

'Twas Gryffindor who found the way,
        He whipped me off his head

The founders put some brains in me
        So I could choose instead!
        Now slip me snug about your ears,
        I've never yet been wrong,
        I'll have a look inside your mind
        And tell where you belong!

Comment

• Very interesting... of course that also suffers to the same problems as the sword. When could Voldemort get close enough to put a horcrux in either?
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• The sword is stuck in the hat and only a "true Gryffindor" (whatever that means, it clearly does not apply to Volde) can retrieve it. However, it's not impossible for Volde to have had access to the Sorting Hat... he just has to get inside the headmaster's office.

Comment

• The question is how easy was it to get inside the Headmaster's Office? Harry gets in all the time because Dumbledore has a fondness for him. Did Dippet feel the same way towards Tom? I dunno..

Comment

• omfg close this ****ty thread already!
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• The question is how easy was it to get inside the Headmaster's Office? Harry gets in all the time because Dumbledore has a fondness for him. Did Dippet feel the same way towards Tom? I dunno..
                  I think another important fact is that Riddle wanted, very badly, to teach at the school... why? I don't think it was because it felt like home. I think he was looking for something. Probably the same thing he was looking for when he opened the CoS, which was probably an accident.
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                    The question is how easy was it to get inside the Headmaster's Office? Harry gets in all the time because Dumbledore has a fondness for him. Did Dippet feel the same way towards Tom? I dunno..
                    I imagine that the headmaster isn't in the office all the time. Further, I imagine that Tom could find out the password to the headmaster's office pretty easily (he could ask Slughorn, for instance). He may know it anyway from being Head Boy. The only question is whether the portraits would notice.

Comment

• This is the second longest thread in the OT, surpassed only by the London bombings thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                        I imagine that the headmaster isn't in the office all the time. Further, I imagine that Tom could find out the password to the headmaster's office pretty easily (he could ask Slughorn, for instance). He may know it anyway from being Head Boy. The only question is whether the portraits would notice.
                        I'd imagine the portraits would inform Dumbledore about an intruder. As for getting it from Slughorn, I don't think Hogwarts professors are in the habit of giving passwords to the headmaster's office to students and do Head Boys have access at any time? I think they only have access at the request of the headmaster.

And remember the password changes every few months. I don't think it'd be easy to get it.

Comment

• I'd imagine the portraits would inform Dumbledore about an intruder.

He would have done this when Dippet was headmaster.

As for getting it from Slughorn, I don't think Hogwarts professors are in the habit of giving passwords to the headmaster's office to students and do Head Boys have access at any time?

I don't think Hogwarts professors are in the habit of explaining horcruxes to students either.

Comment

• He would have done this when Dippet was headmaster.

Pah... same difference.

I don't think Hogwarts professors are in the habit of explaining horcruxes to students either.

If a top student asked, perhaps they would have engaged them in some conversation about it. You could tell Slughorn realized midway through the conversation that it was a mistake to discuss it.

That being said, even then there is no chance that Slughorn is telling students the headmaster's password without being allowed to by the headmaster himself.

Comment

• Why not?

Comment

• Cause he's not evil, as the last book established.

Why in the Hell would a Professor give out the headmaster's password?

Comment

Working...
                                X