Scientology - Your Opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Secular synagogue?
    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

An Unitarian Univesalist church would be the closet thing to a secular place.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
        This 2002 thread from the archive is essential reading. It details how our own EK fell foul of Scientology.

http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...threadid=50933
        What happened?
        Got the article published or not?
        And if yes, what was the reaction from Scientology?

Looks like these questions aren´t answered within the thread
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

I believe EK decided not to publish.
          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Ron L Hubbard said if you want to make a lot of money, start a religion.

The fact that Hollywood stars are leading members debunks the whole thing by itself.

I think scientology is a giant fraud that preys on the weakminded and vulnerable, basically to enslave them and get their money.
            Last edited by Alexander's Horse; June 26, 2005, 17:53.
            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Just like any religion really...
              Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                Secular synagogue?
                I was refering to teh Reform and lower, where synagogues are turned into social parties.

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS
                  Just like any religion really...
                  There are 2 great streams of Welsh - the militantly religious and the militantly anti religious, which is basically the same thing.

You are a lay preacher for the latter
                  Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

molly: That's fine, but don't you agree that no religion is above the law? If they are violating the law in their treatment of their members, then the ought to be prosecuted as such.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Aye but religions would like to be the law, and in some places are the law.

Comment

• the chance of threesomes is shifting my opinion

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark
                          Yah, know, i went up to my rabbi, and told him that what with POTMs bat mitzvah this year, id been attending more than usual, and should be getting at least a couple of XP's for each time, plus a whole bunch for the Bat Mitzvah,etc and that i thought it was about time to level up, and that i wanted to add character points to wisdom and agility, and ya know, he just went away shakin' his head.

Of course he would! C'mon, you need 8 levels to get two character points. A year of services and a Bat Mitvah, maybe that'd get you two levels if you're just starting out. But you're no noob here, so he knows that's going to be one level, max.

Somewhere I have a book called Nova 4, a compilation of shorts by various sf authors. Alfred Bester related an anecdote about getting ushered in to John Campbell's office at Astounding/Analog, supposedly to review a story submission or something. However, it quickly turns into a proselytizing sermon.

Bester says that Campbell intoned about how our mothers' thoughts of abortion, etc created engrams and we could be saved from their dire effects (for a fee). Meanwhile Bester tried in vain to suppress his laughter, given that Mr. Campbell was a very intimidating figure both physically and intellectually. He was unable, and to conceal it he bent over and placed his hands over his face. Campbell assumed Bester was crying at the devastating realization of emptiness, stopped preaching, and laid an understanding hand on his shoulder.
                          (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                          (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                          (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

• Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                            the chance of threesomes is shifting my opinion

You should check out the struggling actresses that hand out literature on Hollywood Blvd. at their headquarters. They are the poster children for the naive midwestern girls trying to make it big, but get sucked into the wrong crowd.

I'd definitley hit it with them. Especially knowing they are Scientologists.
                            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Striker
                              You should check out the struggling actresses that hand out literature on Hollywood Blvd. at their headquarters. They are the poster children for the naive midwestern girls trying to make it big, but get sucked into the wrong crowd.

I'd definitley hit it with them. Especially knowing they are Scientologists.
                              Exactly.
                              Female orgasms shut off parts of the female brain, like fear and emotion. So everyone wins, including Scientology. They'll reach new levels of enlightenment, except they might be screaming something other than "XENU!"

Comment

• Tom Cruise vs. Oprah

How high of a level did Tom Cruise achieve in Scientology again?

Comment

Working...
                                X