No announcement yet.

Scientology - Your Opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep. From what I have heard about scientology, since my previous landlord left them, one of the things they like to do is to control the diet of those who participate. Particularly, stripping them of protein, to make them more suggestible.

I think they have broken the law, which is why they ought to be prosecuted for doing so.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Hmm, I remember reading that in previous historical periods that you could pay to become a bishop or cardinal in the Catholic church, so is this anything really new to religion?
      How is that the same as forcing members to contribute? If someone didn't want to be a bishop or cardinal, they didn't have to become one.

And secondly, they don't do this anymore because of some of the abuses that result from letting people pay to be put into a position of authority.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Control their diet?!?

I never heard of an organized religion with dietary restrictions before!
        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

How is that the same as forcing members to contribute? If someone didn't want to be a bishop or cardinal, they didn't have to become one.

And secondly, they don't do this anymore because of some of the abuses that result from letting people pay to be put into a position of authority.
          If someone doesn't want to move on to the next level of the religion, they don't have to.
          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

The religion has levels?!
            Monkey!!!

Comment

Control their diet?!?

I never heard of an organized religion with dietary restrictions before!
              Well, they eat this porridge with some dietary supplements to ensure that they get what they need and no more.

Comment

In other news...

Did Tom Cruise try to recruit Scarlett Johansson to Scientology?

The “Lost in Translation” star was expected to co-star with Cruise in “Mission: Impossible III” but was dropped because of “scheduling conflicts.” But it seems that there may have been other conflicts as well. Cruise invited Johansson to a Scientology center where he showed her literature about joining his controversial church, according to a report. “After two hours of proselytizing,” according to RadarMagazine.com, “Cruise opened a door to reveal a second room full of upper-level Scientologists who had been waiting to dine with the pair, at which point the cool-headed ingénue politely excused herself.”

The Scoop called Johansson’s mother/manager for comment and she declined, referring us to Johansson’s publicist, who didn’t return calls or emails. Cruise’s rep didn’t respond to requests for comment, but Rick Ross of CultNews.com told the Scoop: “Is this Tom Cruise’s version of a first date? It’s becoming increasingly difficult to make distinctions between his personal, professional and religious life. Tom Cruise and Scientology seem intent on recruiting a hot young star. Apparently, Scarlett Johansson flunked her test, but Katie Holmes passed.”
                Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                  The religion has levels?!
                  Yah, know, i went up to my rabbi, and told him that what with POTMs bat mitzvah this year, id been attending more than usual, and should be getting at least a couple of XP's for each time, plus a whole bunch for the Bat Mitzvah,etc and that i thought it was about time to level up, and that i wanted to add character points to wisdom and agility, and ya know, he just went away shakin' his head.
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

this thread begs for this:
                    Attached Files
                    Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

WTF Laurentius?

Tom Cruise is an utter midget freak isn't he?
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                        WTF Laurentius?

Tom Cruise is an utter midget freak isn't he?

You're jealous 'cos he gets more dates than you.

And as F. Scott Fitzgerald pointed out, diamonds don't come as big as the Ritz

(molly bloom, five foot six of bile and whirling lassitude)
                        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

My God, you're even shorter than me
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                            My God, you're even shorter than me

And my mother was even shorter than me- four foot eleven.

My brother, however, is six foot one of heavy metal and prog rock fan.
                            Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Its from their book PH
                              Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Some of the arguments here seem to be disingenuous.

Dietary Restrictions: The point of kosher or halal is or was the avoidance of cruelty to animals, and rudimentary concepts of hygienic living. Plenty of Jews live kosher their whole lives with no health problems AFAIK. Feeding people mush while they're at seminars to lower their mental acuity seems different somehow. It's not technically a dietary restriction, as it's not permanent; they just deliberately sabotage the metabolism of potential suc-er, believers.

Going further into the religion: When you become a Catholic, Muslim, Jew, Hindu, Buddhist, Confucian, or just about anything else, you join and that's it. Outside of the clergy, there's just one level. If you want to "go further," all there is to it is studying scripture, or meditating, or something along those lines. While, for example, priests are paid for performing weddings, the fees are usually more modest than a hundred grand, which is what it costs to get up to some OT level in the CoS. Nor are people constantly pressured to obtain a service that costs money in normal churches. Normal churches, except for the Mormons who have mandatory tithing, rely on voluntary contributions. Let's keep some perspective here. Scientology is indistinguishable from any given snake-oil scam except insofar as it is tax-exempt.
                                1011 1100
                                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                                X