Robert Byrd is a horrible human being, version III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Byrd is a horrible human being, version III

A few people on this forum, for reasons I can't fathom, like to defend this man every time people point out that he is clearly a racist. I think this is the third time I've started a thread on the matter, and generally most people agree with me. However, there are still people who defend him. This will be a long post, and it will prove that

Although Byrd is by no means stupid, he is an awful man not fit for the US Senate. And considering the horrible people we have there, that is saying something. He might be an intelligent man, but he is blinded by biases and bigotries that most people abandoned decades ago. However, he is calculating; rarely does he make errors in judgement that inhibit his reelection.

We will begin with his first political involvement, the Ku Klux Klan. He joined the clan about sixty-three years ago, and became a local officer, a Kleagle, meaning a recruiter. He quit a few years later, not because he had become a decent human being, but because he lost interest:

After about a year, I became disinterested (sic), quit paying my dues, and dropped my membership in the organization. During the nine years that have followed, I have never been interested in the Klan.

(1952)

As I will seek to prove later in this post, he does not view his Klan membership as an awful mistake. He simply considers it an obstacle to his reelection hopes.

After he quit, he had not changed at all. Here are his words of wisdom on integrating the military.

I will never fight under that banner with a Negro by my side. Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds.

- Letter to Senator Theodore Bilbo, (D-MS) 1944

In another letter, we see that he still believed the Klan was vital to the survival of this country. I think this quote definitively proves that he did not leave the Klan because he realized he was mistaken.

I am a former kleagle of the Ku Klux Klan in Raleigh County and the adjoining counties of the state .... The Klan is needed today as never before and I am anxious to see its rebirth here in West Virginia .... It is necessary that the order be promoted immediately and in every state of the Union. Will you please inform me as to the possibilities of rebuilding the Klan in the Realm of W. Va .... I hope that you will find it convenient to answer my letter in regards to future possibilities.

- Letter, 1946

Obviously, he lied when he said "In the nine years that followed, I have never been interested in the Klan." He certainly seems very interested in the survival of the Klan. He's just not very interested in torpedoing his political career.

1961: He is one of many Senators who vehemently opposes the appointment of Thurgood Marshall to the Supreme court. Of these Senators, he happens to be the only one who also attempted to block Clarence Thomas. A coincidence, perhaps, but Byrd's senate career seems to be full of this sort of coincidence.

In 1964, he spent 14 hours filibustering the Civil Rights Act. Not quite up to Strom's standard of 24 hours in 1957, but not bad at all.

Now let's move four years later, to 1968, the year when most decent people became outraged when Martin Luther King Jr. was shot. What does Mr. Byrd have to say about King?

Martin Luther King fled the scene. He took to his heels and disappeared, leaving it to others to cope with the destructive forces he had helped to unleash. And I hope that well-meaning negro leaders and individuals in the negro community in Washington will now take a new look at this man who gets other people into trouble and then takes off like a scared rabbit.

God forbid that a man release the "destructive forces" of human dignity.

Now the traditional argument that people who defend Byrd make is that he became a better man sometime in the 1970s and 1980s. He opposed Affirmative Action, which was introduced in that era, from the start, which is another dubious coincidence in my mind. I almost hesitate to mention it, because certain people on this forum will say "but that's not evidence enough" and completely ignore the more damning points.

Let's go closer to present day.

1993:

In 1993, Byrd joined with Strom Thurmond and Jesse Helms to defend Congressional protection of the confederate flag as part of the insignia of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, opposing Carol Moseley Braun.

(Washington Times)

What wonderful company the man keeps.

In the 90s, a new civil rights movement of sorts begins. This time the minority is homosexuals, but Byrd's positions are similarly anti-progress.

# Voted YES on prohibiting same-sex marriage. (Sep 1996)
    # Voted NO on prohibiting job discrimination by sexual orientation. (Sep 1996)

West Virginia Senator Robert Byrd (Democratic Sr Senator) On […]

You can fire someone because he's a ***. Clearly he is no longer a bigot. And don't try to act like that vote wouldn't have made a difference, and everyone was bigoted back then and blah blah blah. The measure was defeated by one vote.

Also from that link, notice that the ACLU gives him a 20% rating, denoting an "anti-Civil Rights voting record."

Lastly, we come to Byrd's famous remark in 2001. I'll quote it in context so there will be no complaining.

(on race relations)
    "They are much, much better than they've ever been in my lifetime. I think we talk about race too much. I think those problems are largely behind us. I just think we talk so much about it that we help to create somewhat of an illusion. I think we try to have good will. My old mom told me, 'Robert, you can't go to heaven if you hate anybody.' We practice that. There are white ******s. I've seen a lot of white ******s in my time; I'm going to use that word."

Interview with Tony Snow (on live National TV)

When Drake Tungsten brought up this remark in another thread, Boris Godunov defended it by saying:

You mean when he was talking about white people? Wow, you're such a hack!

He also complained that the remark has been taken out of context.

I posed three questions to him.

1. Is "******" being used intentionally as a negative word?
    2. What exactly is the "context" that mitigates his usage of the word?
    3. (Specifically to Boris) You defended him on the grounds that he was talking about white people. So insulting white people by saying they're like ******s is OK, because you aren't insulting the ******s directly? And this remark is so obviously OK that it is laughable that Drake even criticized it?

I am willing to argue against Boris and anyone else willing to defend this man for as long as it takes.
    Last edited by Jaguar; May 18, 2005, 19:19.
    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

I will never fight under that banner with a Negro by my side. Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds.

Stupid old man should be put out of his misery.

Comment

if this is true, what a jerk. but that shows how people in west virginia and the south are: still racist, still willing to elect people of questionable pasts and character and vision.
      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Hey Jag, you forgot to mention that the man is a Democrat.

Perhaps this is why he has been given the benefit of the doubt.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

@ Jag

Comment

i know that hes a dumbocrat.
            "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

The goal of this thread is not a partisan one; I criticized him for associating with two Republicans in the OP. The goal is simply to provide incontrovertible evidence that Byrd is not fit for public office.
              "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Comment

Nice work Jag. Byrd is as much of a racist as Thurmond and Helms and its about damn time some people admitted that.
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

If people keep voting for him, he's obviously "fit for public office". Now, the trick would be to persuade people not to vote for such a scumbag. I don't know the guy, but based on the OP alone, that seems like an accurate characterization.

Comment

One addendum: I forgot about his "advice" to kids going into politics.

As recently as 1997, he told an interviewer he'd encourage young people to become involved in politics, but with this warning: "Be sure you avoid the Ku Klux Klan. Don't get that albatross around your neck. Once you've made that mistake, you inhibit your operations in the political arena."

From Wikipedia.

It seems like he views his Klan membership as an error in judgement, not because he believes that bigotry is wrong, but because it impeded his political progress.

Comment

Wow a whole thread just to argue with me.

First, I'll dispense with a strawman that Jaguar seems not to be able to comprehend:

I do not defend Robert Byrd's racism in the past nor in everything he does, nor do I claim he is without any racist beliefs today. What I have done is pointed out two things: Byrd's KKK membership from 60 years ago isn't very relevant since he has both repudiated it and we all must acknowledge that people are allowed to change their views. Byrd was a product of his era and home region, and his views were slow in changing, no doubt about it.

This leads us to the 2001 "white ******" comment (one for which Byrd has apologized several times). The context is such that it is clear what Byrd is trying to say--completely ineptly--is that he meant the word "******" not to be racial, but behavioral. It was a stupid thing to say, but his intent was to claim it wasn't about race. I've heard this line of defense before, actually. It's pretty dumb, but Byrd certainly has a habit of sticking his foot in his mouth.

Now let's dispense with some of the other things in the post:

In 1993, Byrd joined with Strom Thurmond and Jesse Helms to defend Congressional protection of the confederate flag as part of the insignia of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, opposing Carol Moseley Braun.

(Washington Times)

What wonderful company the man keeps.
                      Excuse me, but I thought that those who defend the Confederate Flag say it's not a symbol of racism at all, correct?

I don't like the display of the flag on public buildings because A) it's a traitorous emblem and B) it is a bitter reminder of slavery to blacks, so it's damned insensitive. But I can easily see the position of those who don't believe it's a racist symbol. So defending the confederate flag doesn't make one a de facto racist. Especially if one is from a region where the populace tends to get pretty up-in-arms about the flag issue, and defending it scores political points.

And as for the company, Republicans didn't have a problem keeping company with Thurmond and Helms for decades...

You can fire someone because he's a ***. Clearly he is no longer a bigot. And don't try to act like that vote wouldn't have made a difference, and everyone was bigoted back then and blah blah blah. The measure was defeated by one vote.
                      Not a vote I agree with, but keep in mind the company he was with on said vote. Would you say every single person who voted against that law is a "horrible human being," and if so, why aren't you so strident and shrill in your attacks on them as you are on Byrd?

Hey, look--here's an omission you made from that same site:

Voted YES on adding sexual orientation to definition of hate crimes. (Jun 2002)
                      The fact is, gay rights weren't nearly as advanced in 1996 as they are today. The acceptance of gays in our culture was still very problematic. All but 10 senators voted in favor of DOMA. It's a relatively recent phenomenon that has seen large-scale tolerance towards gays (much of it spurred by the 1998 Sheppard murder).

So I see in Byrd a changing position on the issue, as he's changed on race as well. Why don't you allow people to change their views?

Regardless, the issue of his stances on gay rights have never come up before and are irrelevant to what I say, since I have never defended Byrd as being a wonderful human being. The fact is, he's a U.S. Senator, ergo a politician, and therefore there are already going to be stark limits on how great a person he is.

Also from that link, notice that the ACLU gives him a 20% rating, denoting an "anti-Civil Rights voting record."
                      And how much of that is weighted towards the earlier parts of his career? The man has been a Senator since 1958. That's a long record he has, and since a huge amount of civil rights issues came at a time where he was an acknowledged racist asshat, it's not so surprising.

The bottom line here is this: I am willing to believe that Byrd has changed in his racist stance and that he's not remotely the racist he was. I've no doubt there lives plenty of ignorance in him, but that's to be expected of an 83-year-old from a region that isn't exactly known as a haven of tolerance.

But trying to use him to paint the Democratic party is absurd, as absurd as it would be to use Helms as iconic of the Republicans when he was still in the Senate in 1998 or whatever.

I won't and can't defend the awful things he's done, but for pete's sake, at least when attacking him, use awful things that are relevant. Harping on the KKK issue and the "white ******" comment is just plain weak.
                      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar
                        One addendum: I forgot about his "advice" to kids going into politics.

As recently as 1997, he told an interviewer he'd encourage young people to become involved in politics, but with this warning: "Be sure you avoid the Ku Klux Klan. Don't get that albatross around your neck. Once you've made that mistake, you inhibit your operations in the political arena."

From Wikipedia.

It seems like he views his Klan membership as an error in judgement, not because he believes that bigotry is wrong, but because it impeded his political progress.
                        Why would you think that one comment is all he has to say on it? According to FOX news:

Byrd joined the Ku Klux Klan as a young man and has repeatedly apologized for it. Now 87 and the Senate's longest-serving member at 47 years, he prides himself on his knowledge of history and makes historical references frequently during debates.
                        Some claim he's never apologized, but I've seen several major media sources saying the opposite. So one comment wherein he notes the political costs negates any previous apologies?
                        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

The Confederate flag is a racist symbol.
                          "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                            The Confederate flag is a racist symbol.
                            I agree, but I can see why some people don't see it that way.
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Pleas see: http://members.aol.com/jfepperson/causes.html.
                              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Working...
                              X