Robert Byrd is a horrible human being, version III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Gannett News Service; 5/3/2002; RAJU CHEBIUM

Search for more information on HighBeam Research for robert byrd israel.

00-00-0000
    WASHINGTON -- U.S. Sen. Robert Byrd, D-W.Va., cast one of two votes against a resolution expressing solidarity with Israel, which the Senate passed 94-2 Thursday.

Byrd expressed strong support for Israel, but said a one-sided resolution wouldn't help U.S. efforts to bring peace between the Israelis and Palestinians after weeks of bloodshed. "

Note this was just after the exceptionally bloody attack on civilians at a Passover Seder.

Senator Byrd is either the most courageous man in the Senate, or he's a first class jerk, with still a touch of the klansman inside.

I don't think he's the most courageous man in the Senate.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Kuci, Jag - how many times have you said something is "gay" to mean it's "stupid?" How often do your friends use it?

Does that make you and them homophobic bigots, yes or no?
      Never. So no, it does not make me a homophobic bigot.

I've only rarely heard any acquaintances of mine use "gay" as stupid. I think you underestimate the tolerance levels of East-Coast teenagers.

But even the few times I have heard the word "gay" used as an insult, I don't take it as a sign of homophobia. However, if the same person also, say, has a group of friends who beat up a gay kid I know, then I would not give him the benefit of the doubt.
      "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

One is used in a humorous context, the other is not. There's no analogy.
        Quoted for truth.
        "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Comment

Kuci, Jag - how many times have you said something is "gay" to mean it's "stupid?" How often do your friends use it?
          This thread is soooo gay.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

"******" is totally acceptable as "a lack of character", amongst my compadres.

If Mr. Byrd meant "white black people" he'd have been offensive, but he meant "white people with a lack of character".

It's your own language. Don't try to deny it. Byrd is actually trying to make a good point, and people trash him because he uses a word. Talk about sidestepping the real discussion.

EDIT: And MtG has another point. People in WV don't care. What matters is Senator Byrd is probably the most profitable thing their state has ever produced.
            Last edited by mrmitchell; May 19, 2005, 17:48.
            meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
              if this is true, what a jerk. but that shows how people in west virginia and the south are: still racist, still willing to elect people of questionable pasts and character and vision.
              People in WV don't give a rat's ass about anything other than ol' Bobs ability to push Federal pork into that dirt poor state of theirs. If it wasn't for that particular talent of ol' Bobs (ever note the great Federally funded highway system in WV , not to mention a bunch of other Federally funded projects just a tad disproportionate to the geopraphic size and population of WV), the whole state would become one huge sinkhole with a GDP rivalling that of say... Haiti or Burkina Faso.
              When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell
                "******" is totally acceptable as "a lack of character", amongst my compadres.

If Mr. Byrd meant "white black people" he'd have been offensive, but he meant "white people with a lack of character".

It's your own language. Don't try to deny it. Byrd is actually trying to make a good point, and people trash him because he uses a word. Talk about sidestepping the real discussion.

EDIT: And MtG has another point. People in WV don't care. What matters is Senator Byrd is probably the most profitable thing their state has ever produced.
                Oh, so because he means "people with a lack of character" when he says "******", it's not a racist statement?

That has to be the most ****ing ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

Comment

Byrd is such a ******

Comment

Jaguar that's damn right. You can't just look at the specific letter of what someone says. Intent is the only real thing that matters.

Skywaler that's your opinion. I have no beef with Byrd personally.
                    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

You said that in Byrd's eyes, ******s are people with a lack of character. So "******" is used as an insult. In other words, ******s are bad.

I believe you're supposed to be trying to prove that he is not a racist.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar
                        You said that in Byrd's eyes, ******s are people with a lack of character. So "******" is used as an insult. In other words, ******s are bad.

I believe you're supposed to be trying to prove that he is not a racist.
                        Man, are you thick!

For God's sake, someone gives you the answer, and you still don't get t. Do we have to drill it in your skull???
                        If you don't like reality, change it! me
                        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I care not for your convoluted rationalizations. If you use the word "******" as an insult, you are demeaning Black people. There is no other way around it.

And lay off the personal attacks. I have the maturity to limit mine to public figures who aren't on this site.

Comment

Byrd is a Tyrd
                            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Clever.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

People in WV don't give a rat's ass about anything other than ol' Bobs ability to push Federal pork into that dirt poor state of theirs. If it wasn't for that particular talent of ol' Bobs (ever note the great Federally funded highway system in WV , not to mention a bunch of other Federally funded projects just a tad disproportionate to the geopraphic size and population of WV), the whole state would become one huge sinkhole with a GDP rivalling that of say... Haiti or Burkina Faso.

Yes -- and thank God for Hitler I guess too because without him, who knows how Germany might have economically developed.

yes, it's a shameless godwin
                                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                                X