Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Britain arrest woman defending her home against pillagers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Alexander's Horse

This one reason I'm glad the USA exists - those who think like Ned go and live there.

Hey -- have some sympathy for Americans like me, who are nothing like Ned.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
      Because the law does not permit people to shoot at other people in retribution for putting washing-up liquid on somebody's car.

I realise this might carry the summary death penalty in some countries, but this is not the 3rd World.
      Come on, she shot at the ground with an air pistol in an unsuccessful effort to chase off some teens who were trespassing on her property and vandalizing her property. At least she took some initiative, which is a lot more than can be said for the police. At least in the U.S. when the police are going to blow you off they'll usually admit it up front and won't make a federal case of any reasonable measures you take to protect yourself. You let punks tease the productive and useful behind the protection of the law, and when the productive and useful lose it you throw them in jail for weeks in because of your countries histrionic gun laws.
      He's got the Midas touch.
      But he touched it too much!
      Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

• Originally posted by Alexander's Horse

Yes its a bizarre place, the police on the beat don't have to wear fire arms.
        And they're apparantly too scared to face up to a few teenage punks because of that, though when they get their courage up can, in numbers, bring in the occasional middle aged special education teacher and mother.
        He's got the Midas touch.
        But he touched it too much!
        Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

• So if its ok for this woman to go round shooting at punks, its ok for me to go round shooting up the ground round grannies when they give me hastle. Yeah, I dont think so.
          Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

• Originally posted by Sikander

Come on, she shot at the ground with an air pistol in an unsuccessful effort to chase off some teens who were trespassing on her property and vandalizing her property.
            She shot at the ground in their direction, and I'm sure you don't need a lecture on Newton to explain what a ricochet is. It clearly qualifies as an assault.

At least she took some initiative, which is a lot more than can be said for the police. At least in the U.S. when the police are going to blow you off they'll usually admit it up front and won't make a federal case of any reasonable measures you take to protect yourself. You let punks tease the productive and useful behind the protection of the law, and when the productive and useful lose it you throw them in jail for weeks in because of your countries histrionic gun laws.
            Well, you see, we have this dreadfully antiquated concept in British criminal law which means it's applied equally to all. Not just the "productive and useful". It's a national flaw we try to suffer.

Interesting concept, though. Criminal culpability determined by bank balance. Hmmmmm.....
            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• Originally posted by Dauphin
              She should have attacked the yobs with a supersoaker and squeegie.
              Post of the month!
              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• Originally posted by Snotty
                Theres been much public debate about the rights of homeowners to maim/kill people who actually break into your home, but she wasnt in her home.
                And, she didn't actually maim/kill anyone.

Still, invading someone's home and vandalizing one's car is an act of violence. There should be a right of self defense. If the person who has this right needs a weapon to even the odds, so be it. The invaders are the people who are in the wrong, not people living in their homes.
                http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• Originally posted by MrFun

Hey -- have some sympathy for Americans like me, who are nothing like Ned.
                  I take it you would not defend yourself if attacked?
                  http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• Laz, as far as I know, she was trying to get the yobs off her property and to stop their vandalism. She was not shooting at them for "revenge" as you put it.

I still am waiting for any Brit here to tell us what she could have legally done to defend her home and property against invasion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sikander

And they're apparantly too scared to face up to a few teenage punks because of that, though when they get their courage up can, in numbers, bring in the occasional middle aged special education teacher and mother.
                      Actually they have more balls than your cops because they don't need to carry guns to do their job.
                      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ned
                        I take it you would not defend yourself if attacked?
                        Where did you get all that straw from, anyway? It's not like you are in Iowa.
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Where did you get all that straw from, anyway? It's not like you are in Iowa.
                          One of my fellow Americans was implying that he would do nothing if he was attacked or his home invaded. I was surprised at this attitude.

What has Iowa to do with the price of tea in China?

Comment

I still am waiting for any Brit here to tell us what she could have legally done to defend her home and property against invasion.
                            Er call the Police
                            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

• And not go out and shoot the nearest group of teenagers.

Comment

What has Iowa to do with the price of tea in China?
                                Er, you are the strawman

(do try and keep up Ned)

Comment

Working...
                                X