Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Britain arrest woman defending her home against pillagers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does Britain arrest woman defending her home against pillagers?

While they let the woman go after public outcry, I think the original arrest was outrageous. She was defending her property against pillagers who were standing there after having vandalized her son's car. The police came and arrested her, not the criminals.

What is wrong with Britain?

A special needs teacher who fired an air pistol at youths gathered outside her home was yesterday freed from jail by the appeal court.

"A special needs teacher who fired an air pistol at youths gathered outside her home was yesterday freed from jail by the appeal court.

Linda Walker, 48, from Urmston, Greater Manchester, was given a conditional discharge but refused permission to challenge her conviction.

She was jailed for six months in March this year after she was convicted of affray and possessing a firearm in an incident which occurred last August. Mrs Walker said she fired the gun after youths had terrorised her. She described the gang as "yobs".

Mrs Walker, who has 25 years' experience working with special needs children, had served about five weeks of her sentence in Styal women's prison, Cheshire. A petition demanding she should be freed from prison attracted 10,000 signatures.

In prison, she briefly went on hunger strike after learning that an appeal court judge had refused to allow her to go home on bail pending appeal against conviction. She said she felt let down by the police and criminal justice system.

Mrs Walker, a mother of three children, and her family had telephoned police on 15 occasions after seeing their garden shed burgled, their garden trashed, and damage caused to a car and security light. But they allegedly got no response.

At midnight on August 14 last year, she looked out of her window and saw her son's car in the drive covered in washing up liquid. The empty bottle had been placed on the bonnet. She took a gas-powered Walther CP88 pellet pistol, belonging to her partner, John Cavanagh, from a drawer and went outside to confront three youths. When they goaded her, shouting: "Come on then, are you going to shoot?", she fired up to six rounds at the ground.

Her counsel, Farrhat Arshad, argued that the jail term was wrong in principle. Although she accepted firearms offences were serious and usually punished by imprisonment, she argued that Walker's case was exceptional.

A pre-sentence report had recommended a community rehabilitation order. She had been of previous exemplary character, and "stressful circumstances had come to a head".

Walker had sought at the appeal to use fresh evidence from a milkman, David Matthews, that one of the youths had been seen on her property. However, the judges said the evidence did not relate to what happened on the day she confronted the youths.

A spokesman for Salford city council said Walker was suspended from her teaching post pending the police investigation and court action. "Now legal proceedings are ended, this formal disciplinary action will be completed as quickly as possible."

Lisa Davies, of the Justice for Linda Campaign, said: "It is fantastic that she is out and able to return home. But this matter should never have gone to court in the first place."

Norman Brennan, director of the Victims of Crime Trust, welcomed the decision to free Mrs Walker. What she had done was wrong, "but so was the sentence".

Outside the Royal Courts of Justice in London yesterday, Walker thanked everyone who had backed her campaign."
    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

I came into this thread expecting a story of a woman fending off vikings.

Comment

In case you're only posting this in an attempt to troll the lefties here, I'll just say, you're right to be outraged in this case

Comment

"yobs"?
        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Because the law does not permit people to shoot at other people in retribution for putting washing-up liquid on somebody's car.

I realise this might carry the summary death penalty in some countries, but this is not the 3rd World.
          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Is that all they did? They put soap on the car?
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

yobs = pondlife scum.

A more expansive description would generally be 14-24 old, male, unemployed, hefty on the drinks/drugs, terrorizing neighbourhoods with vandalism etc.

Comment

actually ned she went out hunting, she should have informed the police, who would have then done nothing about it.

still that "are you going to shoot?" goading deserves a Darwin award.

Comment

She appearantly called the police 15 times.
                  I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                  - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

The criminals have the rights these days. Once they're done victimizing innocent people, the justice system takes over.

Glad to see the citizenry come to her aid.
                    Long time member @ Apolyton
                    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Linking Graudian

Mrs Walker, a mother of three children, and her family had telephoned police on 15 occasions after seeing their garden shed burgled, their garden trashed, and damage caused to a car and security light. But they allegedly got no response.
                      Remember polytubbies, vote labour to ensure the functionality of your great justice and police systems

Comment

Too bad she didn't use a shotgun at long range roaded with rock salt
                        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

...or at short range loaded with buckshot.
                          Long time member @ Apolyton
                          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Whoha
                            actually ned she went out hunting, she should have informed the police, who would have then done nothing about it.

still that "are you going to shoot?" goading deserves a Darwin award.
                            After she put one right between his eyes.
                            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
                              Too bad she didn't use a shotgun at long range roaded with rock salt
                              Better to mix rock salt and lye.
                              When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Working...
                              X