Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Britain arrest woman defending her home against pillagers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wonder if you know what Catch 22 is.

If she'd phoned up to report something worthy of responding to then it would have been different. The issue raised here is property damage - so what criminal damage was done, how much damage was done and how much did it cost to repair?
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• The police will only respond if she confronts the youths, yet if the police made an effort to help her she wouldn't have had to in the first place. A reverse catch 22 perhaps.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ned
        Laz, as far as I know, she was trying to get the yobs off her property and to stop their vandalism. She was not shooting at them for "revenge" as you put it.

I still am waiting for any Brit here to tell us what she could have legally done to defend her home and property against invasion.
        She could have phoned the police, pushed them away, turned a garden hose on them. Technically the last two may be considered assaults, but there's no way that the police or CPS would have charged.
        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• Originally posted by Dauphin
          I wonder if you know what Catch 22 is.

If she'd phoned up to report something worthy of responding to then it would have been different. The issue raised here is property damage - so what criminal damage was done, how much damage was done and how much did it cost to repair?
          Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp

Interesting concept, though. Criminal culpability determined by bank balance. Hmmmmm.....
          Or in Dauphin's example cost of the damage.
          He's got the Midas touch.
          But he touched it too much!
          Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp

She could have phoned the police, pushed them away, turned a garden hose on them. Technically the last two may be considered assaults, but there's no way that the police or CPS would have charged.
            So you can push someone and there is no way the police will charge, but if you fire an air pistol into the ground and fail to do any more than elicit further mocking and abuse from the people who are trespassing in order to abuse you it's an assured prosecution for assault? If your country wasn't so pathologically afraid of firearms this case would have rightfully never seen the light of day. A fvcking air pistol!

Comment

One of my fellow Americans was implying that he would do nothing if he was attacked or his home invaded. I was surprised at this attitude.

What has Iowa to do with the price of tea in China?
              Don't worry about it. He really can't tell.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sikander

So you can push someone and there is no way the police will charge, but if you fire an air pistol into the ground and fail to do any more than elicit further mocking and abuse from the people who are trespassing in order to abuse you it's an assured prosecution for assault? If your country wasn't so pathologically afraid of firearms this case would have rightfully never seen the light of day. A fvcking air pistol!
                You got it. Incidentally, just a few days ago I read in the paper of a child having an airgun pellet removed from her brain.

I realise that discharging firearms at kids is considered honest clean fun in some nations, but not ours. This is not the third world.

Comment

You got it. Incidentally, just a few days ago I read in the paper of a child having an airgun pellet removed from her brain.

I realise that discharging firearms at kids is considered honest clean fun in some nations, but not ours. This is not the third world.
                  I realize that in some countries discharging air guns into the ground is considered a criminal act deserving of imprisonment, but not ours. This isn't Britain thankfully.

Comment

• HONEY GIT MY GUN - SOMEONE IS WASHING MY TRUCK
                    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

What's your life worth? How many pieces of graffitti would you need to scrawl before you agree that I'd be entitled to shoot you in the head?
                      Rights to life trump property rights, however when you violate someones property rights, you may invalidate your own rights to life.

Comment

• In Britain, we have this tradition called "Rag Week" where students play minor pranks such as dumping detergent in fountains, or placing traffic cones of works of municipal art.

If this took place where Ned, Sikander and Vesayen live in their trailers, what would the bodycount be?

Comment

• There is a large, 3 story high, 50 foot wide fountain in a strip mall a few miles from me.......

I believe they get soap flakes dumped into it on a daily basis. They put up cameras..... it does not stop anyone. Now they just cover up their liscence plates, drive by and chuck the box of soap flakes in and run.

This has no real relevance but it is funny.

I don't live in a trailer, I live in upper middle class suburbia... we have no significant crime problems.

If you make the conscious decision to try to destroy my property, I have the right to defend it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sikander
                            Ok John Wayne.
                            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

No, Morbius. What this thread proves is that liberals have no response to the question of what this woman could have legally done to defend her person and property from these yobs.
                              What fantasy world are you living in? Four or five people have all told you to call the police.

That's the one thing that lady didn't try to do that night. Before she called them to complain about a missing fish and the police decided they had better things to do (imagine that), however, if there was an actual threat to bodily harm the police would come right over. Of course there wasn't any threat at all and all you have is soap on someone's car.

In the Nediverse though that is a killing offense.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Maybe. But she took action, as the story made clear, because prior calls to the police proved fruitless.
                                Earth to Ned, come in Ned. Her previous call to the police was to report a stolen FISH!!!!! Of course the police decided their time was better spent solving rapes and murders then listening to some looney lady whine about her lost goldfish. That's a frivolous call so the cops didn't give her the time of day.

You're painting a picture of ruthless viking hordes coming at her with swords to pillage and plunder and if that was the case then I'm sure the cops would come quickly.
                                Last edited by Dinner; May 10, 2005, 10:37.
                                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                                X