Busted! ...and tenant rights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busted! ...and tenant rights

Long story short, my old landlord sold the house I was renting a room in, so I had to move. I moved to this new place that seemed quite perfect...it's a "basement apartment". There's 2 rooms (mine and another one that a student named Ben is moving into), a kitchen, and a bathroom.

There was no formal agreement, just the verbal "I'll pay $500/mo for a room and access to the "apartment" kitchen and bathroom." They said things like no parties, etc. which I'm fine with.

Now that I'm moving in, they're scaring me. I suspected them meddling around in my room (I'm rather anal on where I put things, and they weren't in the right place). I wasn't here 5 hours and they were already snooping and invading my privacy, I'd suspected.

As soon as I came in, I was "pounced" on by the friendly old lady (the lady/husband own the house) who told me I was "not to use" the mini-fridge I bought since I have access to the fridge in the kitchen. It was for energy reasons, she reckoned. Okay, somewhat reasonable since utilities are included in my rent. Even though the other Fridge is really old, and the door isn't sealing properly, so it no doubt costs a small fortune to run compared to my modern mini-fridge. But whatever, I unplugged my Fridge and am using the big one.

Then she told me I'm "not to leave the lights on" when I'm not in a room. The problem was I was moving stuff back and forth constantly, so I left the lights on along the way...but whatever, again I conceded.

I was really tired after 7 hours of moving things and the owners were getting on my nerve. So I just left everything was it was in my room, turned off the lights, and left for my boyfriend's place in Waterloo...except I did one extra thing:

I set up a pseudo-security system in my room. I aimed my webcam at the entrance and configured it to turn on and record any motion it detects. It films for the period it detects motion + 30s, then compresses the file into DivX format, takes a screencapture and emails me with the subject "Intruder!" with the screencapture.

When I got home, I checked it out, and my suspicions were correct. The husband came a-snoopin' again, and this time I got him on video doing it:

I plan to tell him point-blank I expect privacy in the room I'm renting from them, and they should first ask me for permission to enter, rather than just entering. That seems reasonable to me.

But legally, do I have any grounds, given the lack of a written agreement? These people regularly host students and they all get the same "verbal agreement" of sorts, so if needed I could always find "witnesses" to confirm the terms of the agreement I guess...
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

In almost any state, they need to give you 24 hours notice. The lack of a formal lease is irrelevant. Just tell them kindly that you would like 24 hours notice for any entrance to your dwelling (except for emergencies). Act confident. Beleive me, they will know what that is.

Absent a lease, they (or you) can leave with 30 days notice.

Comment

nope, but if you got a written agreement, then you do have protection against unauthorised entry.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Already conflicting information, great.

Comrade...why is this funny?
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Just set a large bear trap behind the door, and remove the bulbs/whatever you have from the lights
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Man, that sucks. Hope this is temporary. Put some gay-themed posters on the wall. They will think twice before invading your private space. More seriously, at my place, they have to ask for my permission before coming in. Its the law, irc. In Quebec, at least.
            Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

What the hell was he looking for? Drugs?
              "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
              ^ The Poly equivalent of:
              "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

In almost any state, they need to give you 24 hours notice.

He doesn't live in the states, though. Canada lacks many of the freedoms we take for granted, so I wouldn't be so sure things work the same there in this situation.
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

My christian stuff is a ward against intruders.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Do they have control of the electricity box? I only ask because they might see the numbers ticking up faster than normal and figure you have left something switched on in your room. Its not an legit excuse of course, just the first thing that popped into my head
                    Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

My christian stuff is a ward against intruders.
                      Do you own holy relics?
                      Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Re: Busted! ...and tenant rights

Originally posted by Asher
                        I set up a pseudo-security system in my room. I aimed my webcam at the entrance and configured it to turn on and record any motion it detects. It films for the period it detects motion + 30s, then compresses the file into DivX format, takes a screencapture and emails me with the subject "Intruder!" with the screencapture.
                        Wow.. that is so cool. I bet if you showed the old guy that video it would blow his mind let alone embarrass him.

I think the old couple are just paranoid and checking you out.
                        Trying to get clues on what type of person you are. Not that I agree to their actions but in this day and age its understandable. You can't trust anybody. I think if you do what you say, confront and ask for some privacy they might just back off.

My landlord has to ask my permission to enter my apartment.

Comment

Do you own holy relics?
                          Nope, but you lose the desire to snoop when you find stuff like that.

Comment

Yeah first thing is ask of course why he came in your room.
                            He might have had a good excuse, like a emergency phone for you, if he didn't know you were there.
                            I was actually in your situation for 3 years (same kind of lease arrangment I mean).

My gut feeling is they probably dont even declare it, so they could be in trouble for that legally, but of course it is always better to arrange matters without having to use the law...

Comment

Nope, but you lose the desire to snoop when you find stuff like that.
                              I see. One look at your cross collection and they know that your a good boy.

Comment

Working...
                              X