Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would a 40 hour a week, 40k a year job make you happy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PLATO
    $40k? Who can raise a family on that these days?
    someone who has fiscal managment.
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO
      $40k? Who can raise a family on that these days?
      most of the population of my city makes less money than that.

Comment

In most areas of the US, you can raise a family on $40k/year.

But, no, I wouldn't sign up for that deal through retirement.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

But, no, I wouldn't sign on to the full deal until retirement.
          yep, it's a decent amount of money. You just can't expect to buy each of your kids playstations and xbox's and the motorized scooter bikes etc.

Comment

My sis and her husband raise 6 kids on just a little bit less than that. They need to be disciplined about money management. They don't ever have much cash, but I wouldn't consider them poor. They built their own house, which is a really nice spread.

It helps that they live in a rural area, of course.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

If you work hard in school like my sister, people will offer you 100k a year right out of college. I'm not as smart as her though. But I still think I could do a lot better than 40k.

I don't want a stressful job, though.
              "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar
                If you work hard in school like my sister, people will offer you 100k a year right out of college.
                I have never seen anybody who got offers of 100K right out of college - unless your degree is MBA from a famous business school.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Economics at Yale. Financial consultant for Mercer Oliver Wyman.
                  "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Comment

But, no, I wouldn't sign up for that deal through retirement.
                    I suppose their kid's never needed braces, or played on sports teams, or were boy scouts (or girl scouts as the case may be). It takes a buttload of money to raise kid's these days. If you get them a decent house in a decent school district then $40K ain't gonna make it.
                    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

My sis and her husband raise 6 kids on just a little bit less than that. They need to be disciplined about money management. They don't ever have much cash, but I wouldn't consider them poor. They built their own house, which is a really nice spread.

It helps that they live in a rural area, of course.
                      A true rarity. They are a credit to themselves.
                      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

It takes a whole lot to raise kids. Sending 4 to college can be up to half a million dollars.

Comment

Me?

For sure.

I can use the other hours in the week to do what I want.
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Forget getting married to Denise and having kids then.

Comment

I suppose their kid's never needed braces, or played on sports teams, or were boy scouts (or girl scouts as the case may be). It takes a buttload of money to raise kid's these days. If you get them a decent house in a decent school district then $40K ain't gonna make it.
                              Some things are needed more than others. Braces aren't a need in any reality with which I'm familiar, for instance. They go to parochial school, but they'll have to go to public high school (I suggested that a home equity loan would be justifiable to pay for parochial high school, but they probably won't choose that, in part because the kids would have to travel 1 hour each way). The kids play on sports teams, but they don't do Boy Scouts.

Comment

40K US a year?

Indexed for inflation?

That could go rather far, particularly in a rural area.

And I am a country boy by heart.

Edit:

Ah, no. What I want to do includes taking care of kids, and being a family man.
                                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                                X