Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would a 40 hour a week, 40k a year job make you happy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You aren't leaving out any, but Thanksgiving and Christmas are 2 day holidays for most.
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

We get (UK)

New Year
      Good Friday
      Easter Monday
      May Day
      Spring Bank Holiday
      August Bank Holiday
      Christmas
      Boxing Day
      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
      We've got both kinds

Comment

Clearly banks have an inordinate amount of power in the UK
        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

Comment

And civil servants get the queens birthday and other stuff as well.
          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

You got a paid holiday because of some crappy film?!

How about easter?

Nope... Easter is just for the Christians... and it's always on a Sunday (though that doesn't stop getting a Monday off when Christmas falls on a Sunday ).

but Thanksgiving and Christmas are 2 day holidays for most.

And for others the 2nd day isn't a paid holiday but a day when just about everyone takes off .
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
              And civil servants get the queens birthday and other stuff as well.
              Ah, we government workers only get an extra day off if an ex-President kicks the bucket. If the current one did so, I'm sure just about everyone would have a day off.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Interesting incentive for assasination

Comment

1. New year
                  2. Easter
                  3. Labours day
                  4. Some religous one ( 6th thursday after easter )
                  5. Pinkster ( 7th sunday/monday after easter)
                  6. 21 July national holidday
                  7. 15 august motherday ( officialy it's another religious one)
                  8. 1 November
                  9. 11 November ( WW1)
                  10. christmas

The more south you go in Europe, the more holidays btw
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                  Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Imran:

Oh c'mon dude, don't tell me I needed to add a smiley.

Nope... Easter is just for the Christians... and it's always on a Sunday (though that doesn't stop getting a Monday off when Christmas falls on a Sunday ).

Here if a holiday is on a saturday/sunday, you automatically get it next monday, or in some cases at a later date ( restaurants, hotels, police etc..). Same goes if it happens during your vacation or if your sick.
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

Nope. Easter is not a Federal holiday here in the US.
                      "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                      "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Well, to be honest, we only get the easter holiday if it's on a sunday...

Comment

Oh c'mon dude, don't tell me I needed to add a smiley.

I didn't know which one you were talking about. We have loads of crappy films that reference holidays .

Here if a holiday is on a saturday/sunday, you automatically get it next monday

If the holiday is on Saturday, we get the Friday off.

Comment

If the holiday is on Saturday, we get the Friday off.

Ah, that could be the same here, long time since I had a 9 to 5 job.

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                              1. New year
                              2. Easter
                              3. Labours day
                              4. Some religous one ( 6th thursday after easter )
                              5. Pinkster ( 7th sunday/monday after easter)
                              6. 21 July national holidday
                              7. 15 august motherday ( officialy it's another religious one)
                              8. 1 November
                              9. 11 November ( WW1)
                              10. christmas

The more south you go in Europe, the more holidays btw

I assume your Labour Day is the commie May Day?

Sixth Thursday after Easter is (Christian) Pentecoste. Pinkster? Never heard of it, have no idea why it would be tied to Easter.

15 Aug is the somewhat more obscure Feast of the Assumption when Mary is supposed to have died (but didn't quite die, instead was "assumed" into heaven).

"I'm not dead!"
                              (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                              (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                              (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

I assume your Labour Day is the commie May Day?

Yep, though in my previous job, all the managers got the day off while us grunts had to work.

Comment

Working...
                                X