Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would a 40 hour a week, 40k a year job make you happy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pekka
    No way. 40k for boring stuff, no chance to advance? No way.

For boring and no chance to advance, raise it to 200k a year and we'll discuss about it.
    200K on the terms outlined would still not be enough for me to consider the position outlined.

My view is that the guarantee of employment is worthless since I am employable anyway.

So then it comes down to how much money would be sufficient for me to accept no raises, less vacation and a boring job.

One question . .. Can I quit in a few years if I accept this gig?
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Guaranteed employment is also worthless to me in these terms. To be able to change your environment is valuable, you can shop around plus do something new, keeps you going and interested.

I guess the rules woudl be you can't quit, since it would make no sense.

and 200k might be too little as well, depends what the boring task is. Is it just boring, or is it actually stupid. If it's stupid, I'd rather earn less. Then again, I'd rather earn less and be .. not bored.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

• Hmmm, less vacation, better benefits, more money. I might do it for a while, but I don't think I'd be happy.

Are you working with good people, and is there internet access?

I'd definitely do it for $200K.
        Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
        Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
        One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

• Originally posted by Lord Avalon
          Hmmm, less vacation, better benefits, more money. I might do it for a while, but I don't think I'd be happy.

Are you working with good people, and is there internet access?

I'd definitely do it for $200K.
          One more question--- Do I get fired if I just surf poly or play SMAX at work all day
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Yes - indexed to regional cost of living and inflation
            meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

• Why would I sign up for a job doing more hours for way less money and about a third of my current holidays!!? Nobody in a developed country should 'aspire' to that sort of job unless they're losers...
              Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

• 1. No job will "make me happy."

2. No, because I already have a 40-hr/week job that pays more.

3. Even my job, which is low-stress desk-jockey work, has moments that are interesting. It's better than "boring as hell."

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• For $200,000, I would probably take the job for a while. A steady $200,000 per annum is very good pay, and would allow me to save up for more speculative and enjoyable endeavors.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Hrm, at $200k it's a lot more appealing. Suck it up for a while and retire early...

-Arrian
                    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                    X