No announcement yet.

Spoiled Rotten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and it would be kind of a bastard move to expect them to come when they can't afford it (like Ben's case).
    Japher, they would pay for me, just like your folks would for you.

The situations are nearly identical.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

If they offer the take the money.

If they want you to be Hawaii and are going to pay for it then by all means.
      Monkey!!!

Comment

I disagree with DanS and Japher. This is like the parable of the workers in the Vineyard.

Are you jealous because I am generous?

Why should the sister complain about how much her other sister is given, when neither is paying for the trip?
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

The proverb you quoted applies to the parents more than their daughter.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

If they want you to be Hawaii and are going to pay for it then by all means.
            I've always been uneasy around wealth Japher. I'd be much happier in paying for the trip myself, than I would be accepting their generosity to go with them to Hawaii.

They haven't asked me outright, though my mom has let me know that this is what they are planning. I don't know what I will say when they formally invite me to go, I don't want to insult them, or make them feel bad for asking me.

Comment

The proverb you quoted applies to the parents, not their daughter.
              It applies to both Japher's family and my own.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                The proverb you quoted applies to the parents more than their daughter.
                The point of the parable is that the workers shouldn't have complained to the vineyard owner since they were already being treated more than fairly.

Not that the owner should have exercised more discretion...
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

My sister's behavior is one thing, but my parents actions were the cause. Are you ging to blame the reaction?

I see the reaction as a matter of character, something which her nature as well as the years of pampering has created. It's like my parents raised a pitbull for fighting and then expect it to play well with children. They should of seen this coming and done everything the could to have prevented it.
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

Your sister is an adult. She's responsible for what she does. She's at fault here.

Your parents obviously should have seen this coming, but they have done nothing to deserve having their generosity thrown back in their faces.
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

My parents are also adults, and should excpet the fact that they raised to prudes and if they want to have a pleasant vacation with them they better start acting a lot more fair.

The more I think of it the more I am glad I am not going. Trying to keep the two of them happy while they are in the same room is going to be like juggling hand grenades
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

Maybe not out of line but a lot selfish. When i went to hawaii my trip was paid for by my work. I was down there to work. I could have afforded to send two people from tx to there but since i have 1 husband and 3 kids i only sent for 1 and the husband won out.
                        I agree that it is slightly selfish, but I don't think the luxury of the first class seat was what she was fighting for, but rather equal treatment.

Anyway, in your situation, you fall back on the pecking order of oldest to youngest. You send the oldest child.

However, you better be sure to say to your other kids that in the future, if the opportunity presents itself, they will get chosen rather than the oldest.

It's all way too organized a way of going about things, but it saves a lot of heartache in the long-run. People are funny. You can treat them poorly and they might remain happy, so long as you treat everybody equally poorly. On the flipside, you might shower them with gifts (as in Japher's case) and they might become unhappy because you treat everybody unequally well.

As adults, this extends to your siblings as well. If you want to be able to play power family politics, then you've got to treat every sibling family equally well. This is tough to do, as naturally you prefer some families to others, but it's very preferable to the alternatives.
                        Last edited by DanS; February 3, 2005, 17:08.
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I think Japher stated in this thread earlier, that the sister in question does have the most ppl in her family. Rather then exclude any one of that family and the lack of seats in first class im sure the parents didnt want to split of the families if its a matter of two seats then by all means put the sisters in the first class and the children and husbands in coach
                          When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                          "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                          Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

Complaining about this is so far away from my idea of normal that I'm really having trouble envisioning it.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Not a bad solution.

Comment

Complaining about this is so far away from my idea of normal that I'm really having trouble envisioning it.
                                How many siblings do you have?

Comment

Working...
                                X