No announcement yet.

Women and Augusta National Golf Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think if u wna have a boys club, or an asians club or wutever thats fine, but if u goto hire ur secretary and ur racist about that. then ur being illegal.

freedom of speech is all nice n gud, but there are other amendmants in the bill of rights.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia

I agree, racists are foul and disgusting, but just like everyone else, they are protected by the freedom of speech. And yes, corporations should be allowed to discriminate however they want to: whether it be age, sex, ethnicity, gender, class, etc. Same with universities. If they want to give more points to african americans, there is nothing wrong with that.
      What if they want to give LESS points to African Americans?

ACK!
      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Then go ahead. ACK. It works both ways.
        "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by DinoDoc
          Corporations != private club
          No.
          Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia

I agree, racists are foul and disgusting, but just like everyone else, they are protected by the freedom of speech. And yes, corporations should be allowed to discriminate however they want to: whether it be age, sex, ethnicity, gender, class, etc. Same with universities. If they want to give more points to african americans, there is nothing wrong with that.
            What's the point of opposing racism if you are going to let people get away with it?
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

It's a private club... they have the right to party and associate with the people they want to. And it seems they don't want women. Their choice...

Just like you don't have to let everybody into your own home...
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
                Sava: PGA == private organization, not "public event."

I want to join the "people against dumb protests" protest group. Sadly, I'm a few hundred miles away.
                The PGA tour is open to the public just like any other sporting event.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Private club = Private rules

They can make whatever rules about membership rules they wish. Do you object to women's fitness clubs?
                  "Beauty is not in the face...Beauty is a light in the heart." - Kahlil Gibran
                  "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves" - Victor Hugo
                  "It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good -- and less trouble." - Mark Twain

Comment

No one apart from a few whackos believes in that anymore.
                    I do, and here's why.

It works better for girls to do their own thing, and for guys to do theirs. I look at Ventures, a group here in Canada just above the Scouts. They have a mixed group, and many of the attendent problems associated with a mixed group. Including pregnancy. What else happens with a group of teenagers in the bush on a camping trip?

Keep them seperate, but Guides should offer what the girls are interested. Believe it or not, but some girls actually like these kinds of activities!
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

They can do whatever the hell they want.

Doesn't mean we have to like it. Certainly doesn't mean they aren't a bunch of stodgy old fogies with more money than sense who only grudgingly allowed minorities into the club very recently, under much the same pressure that they are under now. Doesn't mean that they shouldn't be protested, villified, or castagated.

But it does mean that anyone who says that it is illegal for them to do so is a bloomin' idiot.
                      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Type "Women Only Club" in any search engine. Why aren't those groups protesting any of those?

There is a reason she isn't taking this to court... because she would lose.

Comment

Anyone stupid enough to want to join a Golf Club should be allowed to.
                          Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

I guess I just don't agree, and I'm mystified at those who believe that racism should be tolerated at all.

I guess those blacks should just know their place, eh?
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Pyrodrew
                              Type "Women Only Club" in any search engine. Why aren't those groups protesting any of those?

There is a reason she isn't taking this to court... because she would lose.
                              It depends what kind of club it is. I don't think that clubs should be allowed to exclude anyone on grounds of race or sex unless there is a good reason for doing so. Someone could be excluded from say a Catholics' Club because the point of the club has something to do with Catholicism and letting in non-Catholics would destroy the point of the club. I can't see any reason why golf clubs are somehow only for men.

It seems clear that the right of people to be stupid racist or sexist bigots should come second to the rights of people not to be discriminated against. So far the counter argument has been "it's their club". So what? They aren't allowed to do lots of things, even though it's their club. For example, they can't produce crack in it or engage in fraud. Just because it's a private club doesn't mean they can do what they like.

And again - this isn't really a private club - it operates like a corporation and should be held to the same standards.
                              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirnwaffen
                                Private club = Private rules

They can make whatever rules about membership rules they wish. Do you object to women's fitness clubs?
                                Actually, in principle I do, but in practice they are necessary. The only reason that there are women's fitness clubs is because men behave like pigs in mixed gyms. Women have the right to keep fit without being harassed or leered at by desperate perverts.
                                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                                X