MEPs Kick Gene Research Into Touch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by *End Is Forever*
    It is highly ironic that two of the most obvious failed British politicians - Neil Kinnock and Chris Patten - now sit in extremely highly-powered, unelected office earning more than either would have done had they made it to the top in Britain.
    Chris Patten can wipe my arse.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Does the European Parliament record votes? Any way of knowing who voted for it?
      Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

Originally posted by paiktis22
        plus ias eif correctly wrote this could be used to try and cure some nasty deseases, we may be dumb but we aint that dumb
        Like repairing your brain and spinal cord.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by *End Is Forever*
          Some votes are held with hands, but most votes (ordinary ones) are held through electronics. I don't know if the voters' names are archived somewhere.
          However, all speeches held in plenum can be found on the net. I'll look into it, and I'll tell you what were the parties' positions.

Edit : the vote has been held today between 12:00 and 13:00 (among other ones), Strasbourg time. The verbatim of the session isn't out yet. I'll look into it again tomorrow, or monday.
          Last edited by Spiffor; April 10, 2003, 12:58.
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

This is one thing I don't understand. Why do opponents of stem-cell research believe in the opinions of self-proclaimed self-righteous leaders? These people have an objection on a science they know little or nothing about based upon beliefs that can't be subtantiated one bit. I don't recall reading anywhere in the Bible that stem cell research is bad.

We trust the medical community with our lives, but yet, we can't trust them to make the right, moral decision when it comes to the abuse of cloning? I tend to believe that if there was something illegal and unethical about stem-cell research, then doctors who swear an oath to protect life wouldn't commit such abuses. I know quite a few people who are involved in stem-cell research, international and domestic US (legal forms of it). The general consensus is that there is nothing unethical about the research, yet we allow self-righteous politicians with other agendas to ban such research. My dad is suffering from congestive heart failure. There is stem cell research that could help him grow new heart muscles and live. I find it terribly hypocritical that opponents of stem-cell research are protecting the sanctity of life.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

You said it Sava...
              Monkey!!!

Comment

I'm rather interested in this, too. Particularily in which Finnish MEPs voted for what.

Ari Vatanen probably voted for the ban. Does that man care about anything but car taxes and abortion?
                "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Chris Patten can wipe my arse.
                  Neil Kinnock would have been far worse
                  Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                  Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

A huge kick in the teeth for those with relatives suffering from Alzheimers or Parkinsons disease amongst others... I've got plenty of gripes with the European Parliament but I didn't think having a stone-age attitude to vital genetic research that could help thousands if not more terminally ill people was one of them. Disgraceful.
                    EiF:

May I kill you and extract your organs? After all, your organs would save many terminally ill people.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by obiwan18
                      May I kill you and extract your organs? After all, your organs would save many terminally ill people.
                      And your point is...?

Don't give me the crap that the stem cell has every bit as much right to life as a fully grown human being. Besides, if these cells weren't being tested then they'd never have been created in the first place.

So what's the problem?
                      Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

a fully grown human being
                        Okay, so why can't we extract organs from children since they are not fully grown human beings, and their organs will save many people's lives?

Besides, if these cells weren't being tested then they'd never have been created in the first place.
                        So it is right to create someone for the purposes of harvesting organs?
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

your guide of what life is and when life begins obiwan is not based on science, rather your own religious and moral conviction.

this is a scientific pursuit, not religious. never the two shall meet.
                          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

You can't clone humans anyway
                            BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
                            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                            We've got both kinds

Comment

MRT144:

your guide of what life is and when life begins obiwan is not based on science,
                              Don't say that! You'll scare the pre-meds if they realise their textbooks are not based on science.

We do not need embryonic stem cell research because adult stem cells will provide the same benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by obiwan18
                                Okay, so why can't we extract organs from children since they are not fully grown human beings, and their organs will save many people's lives?
                                This is exactly what I was talking about. There is this misconception that people will be grown, and then their organs will be harvested.

For instance... my mother is 54 years old. She has donated her remaining embryos to such research to help my father. Those embryos would have otherwise been wasted. Yet they have a chance to save a life. No scientist is going to grow a person and then kill them for their organs. The biggest problem with this issue is passionate people who really aren't informed about what stem cell research actually is.
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X