MEPs Kick Gene Research Into Touch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MEPs Kick Gene Research Into Touch

A huge kick in the teeth for those with relatives suffering from Alzheimers or Parkinsons disease amongst others... I've got plenty of gripes with the European Parliament but I didn't think having a stone-age attitude to vital genetic research that could help thousands if not more terminally ill people was one of them. Disgraceful.

European MPs have voted against allowing scientists to carry out research on embryonic stem cells.
    The vote by members of the European Parliament (MEPs) could now see this type of research outlawed across the EU.

At present, it is legal in the UK but is banned in other member states, while others have no regulations at all.

MEPs will have to vote on the proposed new law again before it can come into effect. It also needs the support of individual member states.

However, if a majority of EU ministers back the proposal this type of research could come to an end in the UK.

Supporters of stem cell research say it could hold the key to cures for a wide range of serious diseases, including Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. But opponents say it is unethical and should be banned.

Under the proposals, cloning for human reproduction will be outlawed and research using embryonic stem cells will be restricted.

There would also be new rules on obtaining tissue samples. Critics say these would make research impractical or too expensive.
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
    Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

First US, now EU?

Looks like the Aussies, Kiwis and Asians will just need to pick up the slack.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Well it still needs to be approved by the Council of Ministers. Hopefully the respective governments aren't quite as backward as some of their MEPs appear to be. I live in hope, however.
      Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

As if its not bad enough being run by the French, europe is now being contolled by the bloody catholics and other assorted religious types. I just want a free trade agreement
        Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
        Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

LOL Stinger easily verifying the rabid xenophobic brit stereotype.

BTW I bet we're the ones who have no regulations at all

Comment

And the report of BBC is (syrprise) inaccurate once more.
            Holland does allow them and AFAIK so does Greece.
            Plus the EU has absolutely no authority in dictating scientific research at indivindual member states.
            At best all it can do is reccomend a path.

I am surprised by the vote of the EP but that's what you get when you have too many conservatives in there I guess.

Comment

time to take this show on the road to asia.
              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

After some more research (it's so easy) Germany also allows this research.

Comment

I am surprised by the vote of the EP but that's what you get when you have too many conservatives in there I guess.
                  funny, i thought the largest block of MEPs (by quite a margin) was the left of centre one...
                  "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

I'm quite surprised at the BBC in this case as they are generally pro-europe.

BTW I don't have an irrational fear of the French so I'm not xenophobic my fears are entirley rational
                    Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney

funny, i thought the largest block of MEPs (by quite a margin) was the left of centre one...
                      Can you get a diagram so we can see?

I think, while I'm not sure that the conservatives are the biggest party.

Comment

Originally posted by TheStinger
                        I'm quite surprised at the BBC in this case as they are generally pro-europe.
                        LOL... maybe from where you stand...

BTW I don't have an irrational fear of the French so I'm not xenophobic my fears are entirley rational
                        They just had some brit babies for breakfast

Comment

i'll have a look, but i'm crap at finding things
                          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

considering the structure of the europa webpage it's not really your fault...

Comment

Originally posted by paiktis22

LOL... maybe from where you stand...

Well i suppose pro european in the UK is a bit different to a pro european Greek

Comment

Working...
                              X