No announcement yet.

Back to the old ME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From were would an attack against Syria be based? Cause if you think all those non-democratic arab states that based our troops for this war will do so for another war, this one against Syria, well, then you have issues.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
      From were would an attack against Syria be based? Cause if you think all those non-democratic arab states that based our troops for this war will do so for another war, this one against Syria, well, then you have issues.
      Well, let's see. There's one country on the Mediterranean that's our ally and wants to go to war with Syria anyway and has done so successfully several times. Then there's that other country we've got a bunch of troops in to the east and south of Syria. I think between the two of them the US could get in, and none of that annoying "asking for access" nonsense.

Comment

Oh yeah, go to war with Syria with the help of Israel. That would cure the whole terrorism thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew1999

Well, let's see. There's one country on the Mediterranean that's our ally and wants to go to war with Syria anyway and has done so successfully several times. Then there's that other country we've got a bunch of troops in to the east and south of Syria. I think between the two of them the US could get in, and none of that annoying "asking for access" nonsense.

Asking Israel's permission to go over them to attack Syria..yeah, why not just paint a "we are doing it for the Zionists" sign over the WH just so that the Arabs don;t have to make up too much.

Comment

Well I would guess Bush is going to try awfully hard to reach some kind of a compromise solution with Sharon. It'd be difficult for him to get in a confrontaion with Israel though due to his power base coming from the Christian Right. On the other hand, Bush is rather indebtted to Blair, and if his popularity is high enough he may well gamble and try to get ME peace back on track.
            "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

Asking Israel's permission to go over them to attack Syria..yeah, why not just paint a "we are doing it for the Zionists" sign over the WH just so that the Arabs don;t have to make up too much.
              I think that would probably happen anyway. Turn it around: If the US attacked Syria (and Lebanon) I don't think there's much chance that Israel would sit quietly in the corner as they have during the fighting in Iraq.

BTW, I think attacking Syria would be a terrible idea; I'm just trying to show that it is possible.

Comment

weird thread. It's not an ME thread. It's something ....different.
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Attack Syria, and what happens in Pakistan?

Musharraf's hanging by the thread.

ALL the muslim countries are going to feel as if this is a crusade.

Hold the war to Iraq.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
                    weird thread. It's not an ME thread. It's something ....different.
                    It will become an ME htread once the road-map fireworks begin.

Comment

Did anyone hear about Sharon's announcement of a partial removal of settlements from the Gaza Strip? if so, this would be a great thing to do, and an excellent timing, as well.
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Did anyone hear about Sharon's announcement of a partial removal of settlements from the Gaza Strip? if so, this would be a great thing to do, and an excellent timing, as well.

Sharon evacuating his babies? Would he also leave Tel Aviv?

Comment

Guess you don't know Sharon very well, then.
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
                            I don't recall that the Bush plan has been published. Is what Sharon is doing required by the plan?
                            http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Its sort of more like a What if thread I guess.

If by some chance Sharon agreed to pull back settlements the question is what the Likud and other allied parties would do.

Comment

As to Syria, I think we will continue to conduct polite diplomacy so long as they remain cooperative on Bush's ME plan. If they become hostile and escallate terrorism, them we will escallate as well.

If there is a settlement between Syria and Israel, I believe that Syria's support for terrorism will end. They may even be willing to hand over any accused Iraqi war criminals to Iraq for trial.

In the long term, the people of Syria will demand more rights or else they will overthrow the government themselves. But that, I believe, is several years, and maybe even decades in the future.
                                http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Working...
                                X