Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaders disagree on serious doctrine,
    Frogman:

Depends on how you define 'serious' doctrine. The matters you have cited to me seem more concerns of tradition than those of doctrine.

Doctrinally, there are some differences between each Christian denomination, but they all agree on the fundamentals.

So God doesn't speak to you if you can't perform miracles?
    No. God speaks to many people. The only way we have of knowing that someone has spoken to God is through the miracles. That's why I said it is up to you to judge the validity of the message, and whether or not you trust what this man is saying.

I don't because I have heard this song and dance before.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

from Obiwan

Depends on how you define 'serious' doctrine. The matters you have cited to me seem more concerns of tradition than those of doctrine.
      I'm not going to quibble about whats serious or not serious doctrine. The variances among the traditional churches is insignificant compared to the variations among the laity. Religion ends up being a personal thing as much as it is a communal thing.

People end up making their own personal image of God, if they choose to believe in one. The worth of Neale's book can only be judged by the person reading it. It doesn't matter whether or not God was talking to Neale if the reader feels God is talking to them.

For people who are looking for a different way to picture God or even to picture God at all, its a good read. I wouldn't start a church over it, but if it draws people to a closer relationship with God, if it gets people looking for God's presence in the world and in their lives, if it gets people to love rather than hate, then Neale has done a good service with the books.

Comment

Frogman:

If he'd just said, "this is my interpretation," by all means go ahead. If it helps some people then he has accomplished something.

It just causes problems when he says, "God spoke to me." It's not necessary for him to say this for the points that he is making.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Very wise Obi.
          http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Clear Skies
            "God is dead." - Nietzsche
            "Nietzsche is dead." - God
            Did god say this to you, or are you having hallucinations again?
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Frogman

I like to read books on philosophy and religion so for me it was good. If you're somewhat dimwitted or an ardent atheist you won't find much there.
              So if you are not a glassy-eyed literal christian and blind follower, you are dim-witted?

What ever way you want it, rockstar.

I know who the fool is...
              http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
              http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

I don't know exactly who or what God is, but I don't think it's possible to talk to him in the same way as it's possible to talk to my friend Leigh.

No, scratch that. No-one can talk to my friend Leigh.
                Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

You aren't the MrPresident from CFC are you, sir?

Comment

No, sir. My name over there is Crimson Sunrise.
                    Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Thought so!
                      The avatar didn't seem to suit...

Comment

Maybe not, but at least we can prove the statement. Dig up Nietzsche! I warn you though, if he isn't dead, a century in the grave has probably got him pretty mad. Not that he wasn't always angry anyway...
                        Even if the bible is just milennia-old mythology, you have to admit it's better reading than anything Nietzsche wrote. Makes more sense too. If the archetype of Zarathustra really came alive today, or at any time, considering the way he puffs himself up I suspect he would quickly fall prey to the archetype of the PO'd Untermensch Mob With Rocks And Pointy Sticks. That stupid book wasted precious time of my life and I want them back, dammit.
                        1011 1100
                        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                          Surprisingly enough, I actually read it on a toilet wall somewhere...
                          Very intellectual vandals we get around here.
                          "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

Surprisingly enough, I actually read it on a toilet wall somewhere...
                            Very intellectual vandals we get around here.
                            Actually, that statement's been around for ages; I don't think the vandal invented it. I think you can get T-shirts with that slogan on them.
                            1011 1100
                            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

So if you are not a glassy-eyed literal christian and blind follower, you are dim-witted?
                              curtsibling:

Read the sentence. He is making a distinction between ardent atheists and dimwits.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                                Maybe not, but at least we can prove the statement. Dig up Nietzsche! I warn you though, if he isn't dead, a century in the grave has probably got him pretty mad.
                                Just because he's dead doesn't mean the Christian god has any say in it.

Originally posted by Elok
                                Even if the bible is just milennia-old mythology, you have to admit it's better reading than anything Nietzsche wrote. Makes more sense too.
                                All those OT genocides, rites, and mean burning - man, awesome stuff. Makes you want to go pillaging, burning, and raping.
                                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                                X