Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you support your country in a war of conquest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DinoDoc
    Why?
    Just because it's incompatible with the principles of the Party. Any evil capitalist conservative should be a hawk.
    Freedom is just unawareness of being manipulated.

Comment

Vagabond, well, I guess there wouldn't be any good judges.. But I'm willing to admit, that the rest of the areas we lost is yours for that matter. They were won fair and square, so let it be.
      Karelia really is in bad condition. There is no real infrastructure, nothing. Not even electricity avaliable to every building, nor phone lines to every place needed, it looks like deserted. But don't get me wrong, I wouldn't organize attacks to claim it back I think we should get it back in mroe civilized ways since we are friends now with no strings attached... But, even we are not too excited about the idea (because of money), so I can only blame ourselves really.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Pekka, it's difficult when you believe something, and have always believed in your parents and are stepping out the first time. Your parents want what's best for you, that cannot be denied. Yet you have your own conception of what's best, and not only just for YOU.

A break makes sense, because there seems NO WAY that they will understand, perhaps because you don't feel you can speak your mind to them, for reasons as old as childhood.

Listen guy, I understand. Focus on your objective, see if it can be done before you burn the bridges you feel you might have to burn...
        Long time member @ Apolyton
        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

lancer, yeah.. but it's not like I decided this with few days of thinking. I'll patch things a little, though I'm not saying I'm sorry. And when I get to go, I'll go and send a letter to them, so there's nothing they can do about it and they have to decide either to back me up in my life, or forget about me. But.. if that's the way it will be, then so it will be.

But I understand them. My mom didn't even let me have toys that resembled guns when I was a kid. I'd be shocker if my son would came me one day and say 'I'm going to the other side of the world to fight for this country'. The disowning part is not about me being in danger, it's about me fighting for the US, since they don't like US wars in general, they think it's about greed only, and killing as much civilians as possible. Also my mom thinks I'll go to hell for volunteering to kill when it's not necessary.
          Last edited by Pekka; April 6, 2003, 01:16.
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

You'll come out the other side and might regret how you handled it. Remember it's THEIR problem, and deal kindly. If they've got a clue they'll get it together. If not, eh. Like my mother always told me, life is long, you'll get over it.
            Long time member @ Apolyton
            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
              Karelia really is in bad condition. There is no real infrastructure, nothing. Not even electricity avaliable to every building, nor phone lines to every place needed, it looks like deserted.
              I doubt about electricity. Russia is fully and totally electrified. You may be right about phone lines though. But there is an easy way out: Nokia could provide a couple thousand cell phones as a humanitarian help.

OK, if you behave well, and in particular don't join NATO, then we may lease Karelia to you.

Comment

Yes, well I'm not planning to forget about my dreams and what is important to me . Not going to happen. Besides, I think they will support me once I'm there. If not.. well my mom taught me that you can't get everything sometimes. I have no regrets. My only regret would be not pursuing this.
                In da butt.

Comment

Oh, we know how Russian land leases end up.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Vagabond, so we'd get to rent the area we'd be helping to grow? Sounds like a great deal to me.. not!
                    Besides, we won't be joining NATO. 80% of fools are against it. Ok.. how about 10 cows per month?
                    In da butt.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                      Oh, we know how Russian land leases end up.
                      You are right. Lend-leases end up better than land leases. You fooled us with Alaska.

Comment

Besides, we won't be joining NATO. 80% of fools are against it.
                        Fools? On the contrary, very wise and reasonable people.

Ok.. how about 10 cows per month?
                        I thought we were having a serious negotiation.

Comment

Ok.. We don't join NATO and you give us Karelia. Good enough?
                          In da butt.

Comment

Well, I don't know. This is a good starting point though:

Ok.. We don't join NATO

Comment

I like this one better: Either you give us Karelia back or else.. we join NATO. You can forget all about those cows now!
                              In da butt.

Comment

jarvin:
                                Why should we give food to countries when their army is just going to seize it for themselves. Look at N. Korea, we gave them a pile of food, and the army enjoyed it while all the civilians continued to starve.
                                actually, china and skorea gave most of the food, not the us.
                                the us provided mostly fuel oil.

Here's where i have to get a bit nastier. Why the hell should i care what these countries think of me when they can't even feed themselves? I dont care that myself and my nation are either hated or laughed at. I never plan to leave, and they're too poor to come over here (in dangerous numbers anyway). I dont see why i'm expected to run crying at the thought of people not liking me anyway, it just seems juvenile.
                                it doesn't matter what they think of you, flat out. america is strong enough to repel any sort of hostile action on its soil, and no-one and nothing is ever going to strike us in an act of completely blind hatred.
                                i mean, backwards nations that can't feed themselves can't really afford to have a military that could ever harm any of our interests, after all. nor are they in areas of the world where they can really screw anything up. who gives a **** about africa, anyway? or asia? they're too poor to come here, and they need all the help they can get.
                                it's america's burden to bring peace, order, and stability into the world.
                                right?

of course.
                                B♭3

Comment

Working...
                                X