Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you support your country in a war of conquest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jarvin

Its the only way they're gonna get food.
    Who?

(a) The US doesn't produce near enough to "feed the world" unless you consider Somali famine level of caloric intake to be the global average requirement.

(b) The amount of unilateral US humanitarian aid is rather small compared to the overall US budget, or even US "military aid" to client countries.

(c) Most other countries manage to do a fair job of feeding ourselves, thank you. The poorest have significant problems, but the Haitians, for example, can't really help their soil being permanently depleted from a couple of centuries of overplanting and one-cropping by their former colonial masters. And sub-Saharan Africa is just a ****ty location to have a country in, but it's not like they can just abandon the whole area and move someplace else. The US doesn't do a hell of a lot to help those places, anyway. Look up the amounts, they can be found in public records.

Oh, and (d) The notion that the only way the rest of the world is going to get fed is to have the Great White Yankee Massa invade them is one of those things that makes Amurkins such a butt of jokes (in the nicer parts of the world) or objects of hatred (try saying that line in Cairo and see if you can run fast enough) in the not-so-nice neighborhoods.
    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

MtG

You should ask a few of the crosses we bea...I mean of the Finns around here about that.

Jarvin, thanks guy. If it wasn't for extremeists on one side or the other those of us who enjoy the soap box wouldn't have anything to pontificate about.
      Long time member @ Apolyton
      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by August Borms
        I would support another country invading my country (they can keep Wallonia)
        Wallonia invested so much in you after WWII. And now that you are richer you want them off. Unthankful bastards.
        Freedom is just unawareness of being manipulated.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
          Never.
          Not even a war to retake Karelia?
          Freedom is just unawareness of being manipulated.

Comment

GePap, yeah sure, but they're being racist against us who don't have some stupid piece of paper that says 'good sir, you are permanent citizen'. They don't even give a second to other guys, our feelings are hurt since we're not wanted anywhere or belong to any place. We are left alone by these paper movers and damn byrocrats.
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Vagabond, That is not conquering. That is claiming back what belongs to us .
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by The Vagabond

Wallonia invested so much in you after WWII. And now that you are richer you want them off. Unthankful bastards.
                Sounds like a familiar situation.
                We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Though the idea in case of America is ironic. You're not old enough to drink beer, but you're old enough to get killed in combat zone. I'll drink to that one!
                  In da butt.

Comment

Derek!

(Ted for those of you born yesterday)

Comment

Pekka, you got a point there. I joined up the day I turned 17 and went to Germany and drank RIVERS of great beer.

Saved my youth.

Comment

MtG:

Nah sub-saharan Africa isn't that bad physically. There's oil deposits in the west and south (?), significant metal and mineral deposits throughout the continent, and the land is hardly un-farmable. The problem is the political situation in almost every African country (really the entire sub-continent except Nigeria and South Africa) is so bad that no business can flourish in the continent.

A little stability would do much to improve the life of the average African
                        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Under no circumstances would I support such a war. I do, however, reserve the right to judge for myself the aims of any conflict in which my country is involved.

(disclaimer at the end just in case this thread is really the troll that I decided it was not)
                          "Beauty is not in the face...Beauty is a light in the heart." - Kahlil Gibran
                          "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves" - Victor Hugo
                          "It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good -- and less trouble." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                            And I am the only "it depends"

yeah, I'm unique
                            Nope... I agree. It does depend on a number of factors. Its not absolutely objectional.

Comment

(a) The US doesn't produce near enough to "feed the world" unless you consider Somali famine level of caloric intake to be the global average requirement.
                              I dont recall where i heard this fact, so i'm not gonna go out of my way to defend it. But i think we can agree that America has quite a bit of food to spare.

(b) The amount of unilateral US humanitarian aid is rather small compared to the overall US budget, or even US "military aid" to client countries.
                              Why should we give food to countries when their army is just going to seize it for themselves. Look at N. Korea, we gave them a pile of food, and the army enjoyed it while all the civilians continued to starve.

(c) Most other countries manage to do a fair job of feeding ourselves, thank you. The poorest have significant problems, but the Haitians, for example, can't really help their soil being permanently depleted from a couple of centuries of overplanting and one-cropping by their former colonial masters. And sub-Saharan Africa is just a ****ty location to have a country in, but it's not like they can just abandon the whole area and move someplace else. The US doesn't do a hell of a lot to help those places, anyway. Look up the amounts, they can be found in public records.
                              I never said it was their fault, i just said that we can help, and i think that it would be wrong for us to just drop some food on them and not only get nothing in return but to never even make sure the people who actually need it get it.

Oh, and (d) The notion that the only way the rest of the world is going to get fed is to have the Great White Yankee Massa invade them is one of those things that makes Amurkins such a butt of jokes (in the nicer parts of the world) or objects of hatred (try saying that line in Cairo and see if you can run fast enough) in the not-so-nice neighborhoods.
                              Here's where i have to get a bit nastier. Why the hell should i care what these countries think of me when they can't even feed themselves? I dont care that myself and my nation are either hated or laughed at. I never plan to leave, and they're too poor to come over here (in dangerous numbers anyway). I dont see why i'm expected to run crying at the thought of people not liking me anyway, it just seems juvenile.
                              Shouldn't you be dead or something?

Comment

Lancer, good for you I'm sorry, I've been drinking a little (just little though). My parents said they would disown me because I said I wasn't going to take any crap and join the US military no matter what. So I'm little bitter now, since all the sacrifices I'm making they still want me to have some piece of paper that means nothing. But.. if you feel something is important, no sacrifice is too big, no obstacle is too high.
                                In da butt.

Comment

Working...
                                X