Who's next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i can't imagine it being Syria...NK makes so much more sense
    "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
    You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Canada's a distant 3rd.

Don't you guys care enough to threaten to invade any more?
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

what's the point? You're just America Jr.
        "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
        You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

ASSIMILATE EEEEEEEEEK

Comment

Originally posted by orange
            i can't imagine it being Syria...NK makes so much more sense
            Yes, it does. Except that Syria is going to force themselves into the fray.
            I guess they feel neglected.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Definately an Arab or oil country probably Syria. Rummy says Syria now has Iraqi chemical weapons, soon he'll say we couldn't find any in Iraq because they're all in Syria.

Comment

This is going to be very funny.

I suppose half of Syria's secret police is moving to Iraq by now.

Comment

US won't even have Britain in Syria.

Highly unlikely that it will happen, although with the present US admin and unless someone starts stirring trouble in Iraq who knows

Comment

ACK!! Just after I voted North Korea I saw Cananda, but it was too late.

We should invade Canada. Moose taste good.

Comment

We're coming after you, Canada, for all the bannanas you stole from us.
                      Mr. Fun:

You had your chance and failed...

Vietnam was just another Canada.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Syria or Iran most likely. North Korea won't be invaded. Not unless Bush wants a Nuclear exchange.

MONKSPIDER... IT'S IRAN FOR PETE'S SAKE!
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Iraq was a dictatorship, with a genocidal leader... Syria is not.
                          What rhetorics could Bush use to get any domestic support in USA?
                          My words are backed with hard coconuts.

Comment

Syria is just as oppressive. So is Saudi Arabia BTW.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Syria is far less oppressive than Iraq. I have just spent an hour reading on Syria (old articles, which date back before the hype), and the conclusion is clear : there is no comparison between Bachar's Syria and Saddam's Iraq.

The accession of Bachar at power in 2000 raised high hopes of a democratization. Free speech was high, and some old opponents (like Riyad Turk, the historical leader of the communist party) were freed from jail after 15 years. Some opponents even got elected in the Syrian Parliament.

However, this hope has been destroyed by the end of 2001, when two elected opponents were jailed (including Mr Turk). Today, the Baath party remains the only party allowed, and structurates the whole society with youth organizations, and labour organizations.
                              Despite an initial struggle against corruption (which can be confused with a struggle against high-ranked opponents to Bachar), corruption is now as high as ever. The power structure is paralyzed, because only personal friends of Bachar, or officials' children can hope to access a responsibility position. Almost all of Bachar's clan is made of Alaoui Muslims, who are only 10% of the population, in comparison with 2/3rd of Sunnis.

However, a few goods have come from 2 years of Bachar's reign : there are no more massive political arrests, these have become targeted and rare. Lebanon is a place of relative freedom of speech for opponents. An important modernization has taken place, with a new importance given to new technologies. The strategy of allying with the Sunni elites continues. Syria has withdrawn an old demand towards Israel, making peace deals more plausible. Some protests may now emerge without being monitored / initated by the Baath. Besides, like Iraq, the government doesn't enforce a strict religious policy, and many of the Syrian rich youth can go clubbing, for example.

The whole point is : Sure, Syria is an hereditary "Republic". Sure, there are political prisoners. But it is an ordinary authoritarian regime, where opponents are sent to jail, where there is no random torture, where the people can live rather freely. It is not Saddam's cruel and bloody dictatorship. Bachar's power lies on the population's apathy, unlike Saddam's which was based on sole fear.
                              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by ThePlagueRat
                                Iraq was a dictatorship, with a genocidal leader... Syria is not.
                                What rhetorics could Bush use to get any domestic support in USA?
                                Bush could say how Syria is a terrible and dangerous expansionist power which threatens the region. To do this, they'll use ad nauseam the annexion of Lebanon by Syria (conveniently forgetting the many reasons besides expansionism why this annexation took place).
                                Bush could also use ad nauseam the political prisoners to explain the great American Democracy cannot tolerate such a thing. His team could find one or two political murders, and they'll exaggerate enough for the public to believe Bachar is a genocidial maniac.
                                Lastly, Bush could pretend Saddam has given all his Wommdies to Bachar so that he can avenge his death on the American people.
                                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Working...
                                X