Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New source for STD's in the US

The abstract:

The risk of an unwanted pregnancy represents one of the major costs of sexual activity. When abortion was legalized in a number of states during the late 1960s and early 1970s (and nationally with the 1973 Supreme Court case of Roe v. Wade), this cost was reduced as women gained the option of terminating an unwanted pregnancy. We predict that abortion legalization generated incentives leading to an increase in sexual activity, accompanied by an increase in sexually transmitted diseases. Using CDC data on the incidence of gonorrhea and syphilis by state, we test the hypothesis that judicial and legislative decisions to legalize abortion lead to an increase in sexually transmitted diseases. We find that gonorrhea and syphilis incidences are significantly and positively correlated with abortion legalization. Further, we find a divergence in STD rates among early legalizing states and late legalizing states starting in 1970 and a subsequent convergence after the Roe v. Wade decision, indicating that the estimated correlation between STD rates and abortion legalization is a causal relationship. According to our estimates, abortion legalization might account for as much as one fourth of the average disease incidence, suggesting that sexual behavior is very responsive to changes in incentives.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Whereas excessive bible reading makes you weird. Your choice.
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

AH:

If you can't say something nice...
      This is news to me, so I thought I would share.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

People get more STD's if they have more sex is news to you?
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

Tell that to Planned Parenthood...
          They don't seem to understand that connection.

Comment

Sex isn't a new source of STD's.

ACK!
            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Nor is toilet seats - watch out obiwan. Crabs can polevault.

Comment

This is news?

Next you'll be telling me that the pill led to an increase in STDs...
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Maybe we should just force clitorectomies on all women and be done with it...
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Obviously, what obiwan means is that we need to have more abortions to reduce the amount of people who can get STDs. It makes perfect sense.
                    Lime roots and treachery!
                    "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

43,000,000 dead and counting in the U.S. alone....

Comment

Well, somebody has an axe to grind.
                        Lime roots and treachery!
                        "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Originally posted by cyclotron7
                          Obviously, what obiwan means is that we need to have more abortions to reduce the amount of people who can get STDs. It makes perfect sense.

You could be onto something there

Comment

43,000,000 dead and counting in the U.S. alone....
                            43M less sharing the Lebensraum with you. How many people die to famine, daily? Shouldn't we start worrying about the already born, before getting more children?

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski
                              Sex isn't a new source of STD's.

ACK!
                              It may be for some.

Comment

Working...
                              X