The "Pictures of the World's Coolest Aircraft" Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Carver

Actually, it looks like $30 million would be for a lightly equiped F-16. The March 2002 issue of Air Forces Monthly describes the following deals:

A UAE puchase of 80 F-16C/D Block 60 planes at $6.4 billion ($80 million each) for aircraft and spares, but not weapons.

An Islraeli purchase of 50 F-16D Block 50/60 planes at $2.5 billion ($50 million) each.

An Egyptian order for 24 slightly older F-16C/D Block 40 jets at $1 billion ($41 million each).

And Bahrain has opted to purchase 10 new F-16C/D for $300 million.

IIRC some European countries were permitted to buy US warplanes at highly subsidized prices a few years ago. Otherwise 30 beans seems to be the minimum for a new build plane.
    IIRC F-16s were built under license in Europe, which could account for the price discrepency.
    He's got the Midas touch.
    But he touched it too much!
    Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

• No F101 pics? As a kid I watched one crash on take off in Bangor Maine where I was going to camp. We got to take a trip to the airforce hanger and get close to one until one of the kids did a pullup on the pitot tube. We got thrown out.

Anyway, I'd love to see one again after so many years.
      Long time member @ Apolyton
      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

• Wow, there was a Battlestar Galactica Lego set?

Now I can't seem to find that Sylon smilie...
        (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
        (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
        (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

• Su-47.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Azazel
            Serb: you sure you mean 4 on the Caspian Sea, and not 4 UNDER the Caspian Sea?
            I am sure. There was big maneuver last summer where these beasts participated.

More info about ekranoplan if you are interested:

Comment

• Originally posted by Sikander

IIRC F-16s were built under license in Europe, which could account for the price discrepency.
              Well that would probably do it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Serb
                More info about ekranoplan if you are interested:
                http://www.airforce.ru/aircraft/misc...kranoplans.htm
                Well that's incredibly useful for those of us who speak English only....
                "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

• Sorry, it was for Azazel only.

Comment

Working...
                  X