No announcement yet.

Having Killed Science, Kansas Lawmakers Now Go After Sex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

considering that some people are so repressed/inexperienced at sex that its causes them psychological problems when dealing with members of the opposite sex, then I'd say this kind of thing is good.

better a few offended people then lots of stunted lives.

Comment

I agree that any person with a properly functioning body and a partner can enjoy sex . What you do not know can be figured out pretty quickly through experimentation.

Sorry if I took your earlier comment wrong. It seemed to me you were slamming the idea of the course.

As for soc and psych, I don't buy into a lot of what goes on ( do all the people getting therapy need it really? for example) but I do accept them as legitimate fields of study.
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
        Elok, I know you feel personally insulted, but take a breath and think about what you're saying. Yes, sex is an instinct, like eating. That's a great analogy. You know why? Because Americans have probably the worst diets in the educated, industrialized world, in no small part because (1) they don't know jack about food, and (2) they mostly learn about food from the media, which seems to suggest that it's okay to exist entirely on a diet of pre-processed meat and cheese produts, followed by an obscenely sweet dessert and washed down with an absurdly caloric soft drink. No wonder we're the fattest nation on earth.
        I'm American, and I know plenty about food. I know full well that shoving down calories of any kind will make me fat if I take too much. Most of my friends(yes, I do have them ) are similarly aware. They print the food pyramid on the sides of cereal boxes and grocery bags, AND we get told all that stuff several times in various classes in school. The information is there; if people don't take advantage of it as it flies in their face, I say tough ****. I maintain the same for sex.
        I responded to your other arguments(or at least I think I did) in my previous post, but I'd like to take this opportunity to admit that I borrowed the food analogy from C.S. Lewis's "The Four Loves." He added that, if you were to see a whole crowd of men eagerly gawking at a stage where they were slowly removing the wrapping from a hamburger, you would probably assume that those men had a problem, and not one having to do with inadequate education. The same should apply for the sexual equivalent. Our problem with sex as a society is a lot more deep-rooted than plain puritanism.
        Okay, enough of the food analogy. I'm getting hungry.
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

This reminds me...
          (site contains music and some half-censored nudity)

Comment

Un****ingbelievable.

It's an elective class, for the love of all that has ever been regarded as holy by anyone who has ever lived. If you don't like the content, drop the class!

ay yi yi...
            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Elok, you're being a little dense. You may no plenty about eating food, but that doesn't qualify you to be a dietician. Someone who is qualified to dispense medical advice about eating and diet is someone who has been educated and trained in it.

Similarly, anyone who is considering going into sexual therapy or any number of psychological/medical fields relating to sexual behavior would find such a course as this article states as very educational and important for their future careers. That is the point of college.

Since you're neither a sexologist nor someone who has taken the course (and neither is this dumb State Senator), you're speaking out of complete ignorance.
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker

Umm...how can this course exist if Kansas killed science? I'm assuming this class ostensibly has some scientific basis. What's sad is not this legislator's attempt to defund this nonsense, but that she's picking and choosing which courses get funded based on her own biases instead of totally defunding the college. If the school provides such a great service, let the people wanting that service pay for it themselves.

Btw, I live in Kansas so I know the thread title is BS.
                Chill, Berz. It was meant to be a humorous link to the not-so-distant time when Kansas was in the spotlight for its educational stance in regards to evolution/creationism. Lighten up for once, would ya?

That said, my own home state has been the nub of more than one joke, and I've learned not to freak out over it. Ain't good for the blood pressure.

Gatekeeper
                "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Well...you're speaking out of ignorance too, insofar as you seem to have not read all of my posts, Mr. Boris. I have already said that I do not question the merits of the class in and of itself. I am responding to all the crap about how you need to take it to be sexually fulfilled and all that other Dr. Ruth jibber-jabber. Actually, while we're on the subject, I would say the only actual "sex professionals" out there are prostitutes, sex being a rather hands(or other body part)-on sort of study, but all that's neither here nor there. Please don't be so quick to accuse next time.
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                    Keeper, you ignore certain points in the article, and twist others.
                    Hmm ... the last time I checked, I hadn't really posted my whole, complete thoughts on the article because, frankly, I posted it as a "light-hearted" alternative to all the serious war topics we've had of late.

YOO-HOO! Do any of you boys know how to have a frickin' good laugh anymore? KNOCK-KNOCK! Anybody home?!

Good grief.

Gatekeeper
                    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

Comment

That does it! I'm going to my local public university and *demanding* that they drop that OFFENSIVE ELECTIVE religous class that I'm not even required to take because I'm not a religion major, let alone a minor!

That'll show 'em who's boss!

Gatekeeper

Comment

Azazel, you're a self-proclaimed Communist.
                        That says it all.
                        what does it say?
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
                          what does it say?
                          That you probably get more good sex than the rest of us.
                          "People sit in chairs!" - Bobby Baccalieri

Comment

I love the buzzwords:

You don't understand how understanding the development of our sexual organs could help us understand our sexuality?
                            'Understanding our sexuality?'

Sounds like a pretty cushy course for university degree credit.

I can see sex education as a seminar provided by the health clinic on campus, but as an independent course, allowing for credit? That I find hard to believe.

No wonder the class is so popular, I'd take it too if I could milk the course for credits towards my degree.

I still have not got a straight answer. Besides teaching students how to make out with each other more efficiently, what else does the course provide? I think that students can learn this on their own time.

Are these student's studying to become public health officials, where they learn how to help people with STD's and other problems?

Finally, looking at pictures of young girls developing...

Fine if you are planning to be a doctor or a pedriatrician, but otherwise?
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I wonder if now would be the time to state that I was required to take a human sexuality class as part of the undergraduate-graduate medical school program I was in...

Quick poll. Has anyone else who has posted on this thread taken a human sexuality course in college?
                              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Nope.

I'm a history major.

I'm not interested in esoteric subjects such as sociology.
                                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                                X