Elizibeth Smart found...ALIVE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Astonishing and good news.

I'll admit there's racism, classism, sexism, and prolly some other -isms present in the media, but that doesn't make good news anything to be cynical about. We should be happy for her safety, and more careful to see that it doesn't happen again.
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Man this is a shocker. We had all given her up for dead and were convinced by the police focus on Ricci that he did it.

In the Lace P. case, all the focus is on Scott, her husband. It looks like the police get it wrong at times.

The story said Liz's sister thought Emmanual looked like the person who entered her room. This was in the last month or so. The Smart's then held a news conference to call for the public to look for Emmanual. Well they found him.

Little sister is the person who cracked this case.
      http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

According to the AP:

The overwhelming majority of children abducted by strangers eventually return home safely, experts say, though very few are held as long as the nine-month ordeal of Elizabeth Smart.

About 4,600 children are abducted each year by strangers, according to Ann Scofield of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. But she said most are held only briefly before being freed.

Only 100 or so abductions by strangers each year fit into more serious categories -- cases in which the child is held for an extended period of time or is killed, she said.

Whenever anything like this happens, I often assume the worst (I tend to review a lot of crime sites), but evidently the worst occurs (thankfully) rarely.

In any case, thank goodness (and God, if You're up there) that she was found safe. This is really great news. Maybe we'll get lucky with some of the other people who are still missing...

Comment

Originally posted by Felch X
          Astonishing and good news.

I'll admit there's racism, classism, sexism, and prolly some other -isms present in the media, but that doesn't make good news anything to be cynical about. We should be happy for her safety, and more careful to see that it doesn't happen again.
          my thoughts exactly
          "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
          - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
          Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

Awesome.
            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Unbelievable.

I feel kind of guilty because I had hoped she was dead . I guess I'm too much of a pessimist. I had no hope she would be found. And if she was found I thought she would be dead. I figured death was better than a lifetime of getting raped. But I guess 8 months of getting raped is better than dying- I think.

Anyways this is good news. Not often you get good news form the news.

Comment

Heh... same last name as me

I remember hearing this when it was discovered a while back. Good job

Comment

In any case did you guys see the police taking credit for it? All gloating for the tv cameras.

I think they did a terrible job.

It was the media spreading her image everywhere and some observant citizens that helped get her back home. Good work.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                    Rich white girl found alive.

Why is this news?
                    Chalk up a new entry on the "Big list of arseholes".
                    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

actually I was the person who suggested last year she got so much news attention because she was white. I still think that may be true.

But others at Apolyton suggested she got so much attention because she is rich or at least upper middle class. And many in the news business are upper middle class, hence all the coverage.

The latter is probably more true.

In my city a Mexican girl got a lot of coverage when she was kidnapped. Aside from America's most Wanted, she has had no national coverage.

Comment

Rich white girl found alive.

Why is this news?
                        Agathon:

We feared her dead, now we know she is alive.

This will be news regardless of race.

Aren't you glad to hear that she's alive?
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Dissident. Jealous over title of arsehole.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Long time member @ Apolyton
                            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Another thing I thought was great.
                              Mr. Smart endorsing the Amber Alert, citing that while he had his daughter back, many parents do not.

"The AMBER Plan was created in 1996 as a powerful legacy to 9-year-old Amber Hagerman, a bright little girl who was kidnapped and brutally murdered while riding her bicycle in Arlington, Texas.
                              The tragedy shocked and outraged the entire community. Residents contacted radio stations in the Dallas area and suggested they broadcast special “alerts” over the airwaves so that they could help prevent such incidents in the future.

In response to the community’s concern for the safety of local children, the Dallas/Fort Worth Association of Radio Managers teamed up with local law-enforcement agencies in northern Texas and developed this innovative early warning system to help find abducted children. Statistics show that, when abducted, a child’s greatest enemy is time."
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

yes I demand the title of a$$hole

Just to prove it I'm goint to say something non-Politically Correct.

Something about this story bothers me. I guess part of the problem is she is religious and naive. That is the only explanation how she could be brain washed so easily and did not run and did not give the police her name.

But I admit I'm cynical. I've heard stories of mormon fathers giving their daughters away to polygimists. I'm not saying this has happened here. But there is that possiblity. But that is highly unlikely. Polygamy is not that popular in the big cities as they are in the small towns.

There is the other possiblilty that the girl just ran away with the guy. But that is also highly unlikely. Because she only met the guy once 6 months prior. It's not like he had time to convince her to go with him.

But I have been called an ******* and uncaring for suggesting such things.

In any case I doubt that happend. I truelly believe she was kidnapped. But what happened after that is a mystery so far.

I guess it shows how easy it is to brainwash religious people.

Comment

Working...
                                X