• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horny, Lesbian, Japanese monkeys offer new challenge for Darwinists

Lesbian Japanese monkeys challenge Darwin's assumptions
    By David Derbyshire, Science Correspondent, in Denver
    (Filed: 19/02/2003)

The promiscuous sex life of lesbian Japanese monkeys is challenging one of the central tenets of Charles Darwin. He argued that females are coy, mate rarely and choose mates to ensure the best genetic inheritance for their offspring, while males are promiscuous and fight among themselves for female partners.

But after studying Japanese macaques in the wild, Dr Paul Vasey, of the University of Lethbridge, Canada, begs to differ. He found that bisexuality is common in females and that they often compete with males for sexual partners.

"In some populations, female Japanese macaques sometimes prefer same-sex partners," he told the American Association for the Advancement of Science in Denver. "That occurs even when they are presented with sexually motivated, opposite-sex alternatives."

Males are often prompted into sexual intercourse only if they are first mounted by females. Dr Vasey said: "Female-male mounting in Japanese macaques is an adaptation that sexually motivated females employ to prompt sluggish or uninterested males to copulate with them."

He observed that the females gain pleasure from mounting males, often rubbing themselves against a male's back or stimulating themselves with their tails.

Dr Vasey said that once they evolved the capacity to mount males, they could gain the same sexual gratification from mounting females. "I see females competing for males all the time," he said. "I see males ignoring females that are desperate to copulate with them."

Dr Joan Roughgarden, a biologist at Stanford University, said the macaque was just one of many species that did not fit Darwin's theory of sex selection.

Female langur monkeys promiscuously mated with many males, for instance. Homosexuality in animals - at least 300 invertebrates practise it - was also unexplained by Darwin.

Dr Roughgarden said that a more comprehensive theory of sex selection should take into account social as well as sexual selection. Mating could function to build and manage relationships as well as to reproduce. "Female choice, I am pretty sure, has much more to do with managing male power than it does with trying to obtain good genes."
    http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

monkie, if you're to afraid to link to the source, don't bother!
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Good ol' macaques.
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

What's a link between gentlemen?

Comment

Originally posted by monkspider
          What's a link between gentlemen?
          It's rather intellectually dishonest to quote a story with a rather ridiculous attempt at "discrediting" Darwin and not give us the source (which I would wager is some sort of creationist web site).
          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Honestly, I originally saw this posted on the EU OT forum without link and found it too amusing not to share with you all.

Comment

boris, wouldnt you also wager that most creationists are also anti homosexual?
              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144
                boris, wouldnt you also wager that most creationists are also anti homosexual?
                I'm sure they think these monkeys are damned sinful!
                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Just when the darwinists were looking to defeat the creationists, they get attacked from the rear by the vicious japanese lesbian monkies, creating a two front war.....
                  "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
                    Just when the darwinists were looking to defeat the creationists, they get attacked from the rear by the vicious japanese lesbian monkies, creating a two front war.....

Comment

Female cats are also extremely promiscuous -- the more semen they can gather up, the greater the genetic diversity of their offspring. Plus it's all in good fun.
                      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Oh my god! ive been living a lie! evolution is wrong! By extrapolating the observations of this obscure species of monkies to all species has shown me the light...
                        "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
                        - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
                        Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Hey, thanks Obi.

Comment

You're welcome, monkspider.

Too gay for the creationists. Too controversial for the Darwinists.

You just know that has to be real.
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                              X