No announcement yet.

Horny, Lesbian, Japanese monkeys offer new challenge for Darwinists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No biggie. A number of primates also have certain hemosexual tendencies.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

So does my dog but then again he also tries to hump the sofa.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Dogs don't count

Bonobos
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

"He argued that females are coy, mate rarely and choose mates to ensure the best genetic inheritance for their offspring"

Was this really a central tenet of Darwins? Or simply a generalisation?

"...the new findings suggest the theory (sexual selection) can be applied only to a portion of the animal kingdom."

...and I thought this had been known for a while.

Comment

That's not a central tenet. For parts of the animal kingdom, the females are bigger than the males.

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
              Just when the darwinists were looking to defeat the creationists, they get attacked from the rear by the vicious japanese lesbian monkies, creating a two front war.....

One can only imagine how the creationist view their new ally.
              Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

How can the author claim that this is challenging "one of the central tenets of Charles Darwin"?

I've read Origin of Species, and I don't recall female coyness as a "central tenet".

The article also provides evolutionary explanations:
                Males are often prompted into sexual intercourse only if they are first mounted by females. Dr Vasey said: "Female-male mounting in Japanese macaques is an adaptation that sexually motivated females employ to prompt sluggish or uninterested males to copulate with them."

He observed that the females gain pleasure from mounting males, often rubbing themselves against a male's back or stimulating themselves with their tails.

Dr Vasey said that once they evolved the capacity to mount males, they could gain the same sexual gratification from mounting females. "I see females competing for males all the time," he said. "I see males ignoring females that are desperate to copulate with them."
                So the females evolved this male-stimulating behavior, then found that it was fun. This is no more mysterious than recreational non-reproductive sex in humans.

Comment

I mentioned it before, but there's a great book that carefully catalogs all contemporary evidence of homosexuality among animals. It's a very large book.

Biological Exuberance, Bruce Bagemihl, PhD, St. Martin's press.

My favorite is the special form of "necking" which male giraffes only do with other male giraffes. Gets them so hot they usually end up "doing it" together.

Turns out a very wide array of mammals - it seems like most - engage in some sort of homosexual behavior, including child-rearing by same-sex couples (e.g. she-grizzlies, male black swans).

Seems like there is a correlation between intelligence and homosexual behavior - the more intelligent the species, the more it gets into homosexual behavior. Examples of mammals who really seem to enjoy it: porpoises, many kinds of whales, elephants, lions, cheetahs, wolves ... and of course, most primates.

Other notorious species include sea lions, american buffalo (many of whom never once mate with a female), and bighorn sheep (female bighorns stometimes must try to pass themselves off as young males in order to get some action).

All data is carefully documented (the author is a straight, married guy with kids). Great drawings and photos! The shot of two male gray whales going at it, only their members visible above the water, is memorable indeed.
                  Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

This is proof for evolution! According to some creationists evolution leads to deviancy and immorality. Now we have the evidence!
                    "A witty saying proves nothing."
                    - Voltaire (1694-1778)

Comment

Not so much a lesbian monkey, as a red herring.

All it shows is that Darwin was a man of his time- from a society that hypocritically expected grown women to lie back and think of England when engaging in sex, and yet also tolerated child prostitution, sado-masochistic bawdy houses and situational homosexuality- in the Royal Navy, in the Guards regiment (they supplemented meagre army pay by renting) and in public schools.
                      There was in fact a gay brothel next door to the Albany Street Barracks, maintained by a certain Mrs. Truman.

Many 19th century naturalists and biologists 'saw' what their upbringing educated them to see with regard to the sexual behaviour of wild animals. As Christianity decreed homosexuality was unnatural, it could not per force, exist in nature. Also, male-female animal pairings were given an anthropomorphic spin, with the ludicrously romantic notion of animals pairing for life (regardless of whether they did or not).

Observation is all.
                      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

In fact, the idea that all animals are heterosexual family-loving creatures is strong even today. Watch any nature program and wou'll see how their behaviour is put into a christian monogamic family-context.

Comment

umm

monogamic families exist (And are common) outside of christianity

Jon miller
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane
                            In fact, the idea that all animals are heterosexual family-loving creatures is strong even today. Watch any nature program and wou'll see how their behaviour is put into a christian monogamic family-context.
                            British ones aren't like that. the're always showing how animals are ****ging evrything that moves
                            Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                            Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

"Watch any nature program..."

...apart from the ones about spiders, or insects...

Comment

...or by David Attenborough...

Comment

Working...
                                X