Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chirac Says Eastern Europeans Are "Infantile" and should shut up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chirac, like any french politician, is worried about the costs of EU enlargement. If the Common Agricultural Policy is changed to make more money available to the new EU members then french farmers will be amongst the losers. They have a powerful lobby that few french politicians would willingly upset. So this is more Chirac trying to put the new EU members in their place than about Iraq or foreign policy.

The US administration is suffering a similar problem, the message that goes down well domestically upsets the rest of the world.
    Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Down with the CAP
      Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
      Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Basically the whole Western alliance is squabbling and falling into a shambolic heap - Osama must be pleased.
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
          You're certainly free to your opinion, but there's really no need to direct baseless insults at Blair and Powell. They're the only intelligent leaders left in this whole ordeal...
          Why do they need to resort to lies then? I once respected them both, but since that poor performance in the UNSC, trying to prove the presence of WMDs in Iraq, their reputation is forever tainted (Blairs even more than Powells)

Comment

in the end, let's not be naive, that's a classical example of diplomatic power play :

- rumsfeld tries to divide Europe, by talking of a 'old' and 'new' (east) europe, and gathering support there to undermine a position itself undermining the US policies. He has a lever to convince poland, czech, bulgarians because these countries feel the US liberated them and still protects them from a possible Russian resurgence. Fair enough, he plays for his side, nothing surprising here.

- Chirac plays the very same game, using the lever of the EU : if you play too much on the US side, you won't be able to have the cake and eat it. Again, that's perfectly logical.

Both play the same game. So let's grow up a bit here and stop the 'you're bad, no you're bad' mindless arguing.

Comment

Except Eastern Europe needs Western Europe more than they need the US - they all are desperate to join the EU. Chirac was reminding them of that - and also showing "old Europe" could also play hardball.
              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

This is what I don't undersand. Some of them are forgetting which side their bread is buttered on...
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I've had some dealings with the Eastern Euro governments and some of them really have their head in the clouds.

Comment

Originally posted by Maroule
                    He has a lever to convince poland, czech, bulgarians because these countries feel the US liberated them and still protects them from a possible Russian resurgence.
                    So the United States liberated the Poles, Czechs and Bulgarians? Thanks for the history lesson. I always thought it was the Soviet Union, who liberated them from occupation. Since they have overthrown their communist governments also without American help, they don't have any debts towards America, at least not as much as France.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph

So the United States liberated the Poles, Czechs and Bulgarians? Thanks for the history lesson. I always thought it was the Soviet Union, who liberated them from occupation. Since they have overthrown their communist governments also without American help, they don't have any debts towards America, at least not as much as France.
                      There is this myth that the US "won" the Cold War. It sounds better than saying the Russians gave up and went home - "draw due to lack of interest/something else to do" just isn't impressive.
                      Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Originally posted by CerberusIV
                        There is this myth that the US "won" the Cold War. It sounds better than saying the Russians gave up and went home - "draw due to lack of interest/something else to do" just isn't impressive.
                        I happen to be from Eastern Germany and can assure you, that people there love this "we won the cold war and liberated you from communism" attitude. If it wasn't for the Soviet Union, the revolts of 1989 would have certainly failed. Tian'anmen, anyone? And as far as I remember these days, it was the name "Gorbachev" the people called in the streets. It was not Bush senior and certainly not Thatcher, even if it hurts.

Comment

So why did the soviets not continue to maintain control of the Warsaw Pact countries? Some kind of altruistic mindset just overcame the soviet politburo?

The soviets couldnt afford to keep up with the economic pressure from Reagans military expansion. This caused discord amongst the populace and allowed for new leaders like Gorby to take power (once the old stalinists died off). Its unlikely that the soviet hegemony would have collapsed without the economic competition with the US and in that respect, yes the US did 'win' the cold war.
                          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

"Its unlikely that the soviet hegemony would have collapsed without the economic competition with the US and in that respect, yes the US did 'win' the cold war."

The USSR could have continued to compete and delay its collapse. The USSR could have simply reduced military spending - its collapse ows more to the paranoid nature of its policies than the pressure. Gorbachev essentially took a gamble on reform and lost.

The Reagan arms buildup maybe accelerated the process, but its not so much that the US (or the West) won, more that the Commies lost. And key to that was that even the party elites either resignated or opted for reform, given a rotten economy going nowhere. If economic pressure from the US collapsed the USSR, why does North Korea not collapse?
                            “Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)

Comment

I think it's funny that AH is trying to justify Chirac blowing his stack and being quite indelicate. What's it to Chirac, anyway? It's not like the EU has common foreign or defense policies. And who now provides the security guarantees? Not the EU...
                              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

My Master's Degree was in Political science
                                Where the world has come to?

"Americanism: an infantile disorder of Europaism."
                                by Vladimir Illych Chiracin

If I were France and Germany, I would pump up my weapons industry and I would blackmail the eastern european countries to buy my weapons instead of american ones, if they want any EU money at all. Because after all, that's what the Americans are after: that's the only meaningful transaction they can have with those countries.
                                "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
                                George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                                X