No announcement yet.

french military victories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

they could cross the med, and then be supplied from Spain, to cross the mountains into france.
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Actually, the Arabs did conquer part of France - it was basically the Western part of the strip of France bordering the Mediterranean.

SUPPLY LINES!
      Supply lines?!?!? The Arab forces were small numbers (by any reasonably modern standard) of light cavalry. What do these armies need supplied? Do you think horses run on petroleum?
      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
      -Bokonon

Comment

And the French won the battle of Poitiers, stopping the Arabs from taking Western Europe
        Most over-rated battle EVER, the Arabs were a relatively small raiding force not anything resembling a large conquering army.
        Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

I think it strengthened Charles Martel's rule domestically and therefore insured that the Arabs would never be able to successfully invade France.
          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
          -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Boshko

Most over-rated battle EVER, the Arabs were a relatively small raiding force not anything resembling a large conquering army.
            I dunno, the amount written about US civil war seems to be out of all proportion to their significance
            Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
            Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Do you think horses run on petroleum?

Now there is an interesting thought .

Sten:

And yes, Romans are not Italians. Italians are the mix of mainly Roman and Gothic blood, but more Goth than Roman.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I dunno, the amount written about US civil war seems to be out of all proportion to their significance
                Yeah, but at least there were real armies there

Italians are the mix of mainly Roman and Gothic blood, but more Goth than Roman.
                Not really, the Goth invading armies were too small to have that much effect on Italian genetics, I'd say that there's more Greek, Semitic and Lombard blood in modern Italians than Goth.
                Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Actually the Goths did have a large effect on Italian genetics, especially the higher ups (which for all intents and purposes really matter ).

The Lombards also have a substantial role, but they are influenced heavily by Goths as well.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

And yes, Romans are not Italians. Italians are the mix of mainly Roman and Gothic blood, but more Goth than Roman.

Thanks for taking care of business for me, Imran.
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Supply lines?!?!? The Arab forces were small numbers (by any reasonably modern standard) of light cavalry. What do these armies need supplied? Do you think horses run on petroleum?
                      they were small numbers? then what's all the fuss about?
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

*blatantly obvious straight line*

IT'S A FRENCH MILITARY VICTORY!
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

they were small numbers? then what's all the fuss about?
                          In general, medieval armies had been rather small. Part of it is due to the development of the heavy cavalry as the main element in a battle after the Latifunda system institutionalized serfdom and insured a strong aristocracy, the barbarian invasions necessitated an effective tool against light cavalry (heavy cavalry of course), and technological innovations made heavy cavalry much more powerful (stirrup, etc.). And of course heavy cavalry requires a lot of resources on the part of the nobility, so the the central government by nature can't field effective infantry forces.

Also, the Roman world was just hit by a bubonic plague epidemic. This guaranteed the Arab conquests in Persia, the East Roman Empire, North Africa, and of course Spain, despite the relatively small number of invaders.
                          -Bokonon

Comment

wait a sec, what year are we talking about, again?
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Poitiers was ~early 8th century IIRC. But I'm describing the Arab conquests in general.
                              -Bokonon

Comment

Also, the Roman world was just hit by a bubonic plague epidemic. This guaranteed the Arab conquests in Persia, the East Roman Empire, North Africa, and of course Spain, despite the relatively small number of invaders.
                                Also the minor and short-lived disagreements that Byzantium had with the Sassanids contributed to this somewhat...
                                Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Working...
                                X