No announcement yet.

french military victories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I laughed at LaRusso's caption, I failed to see the humor in the Sten Sure's post. Xenophobic slur it is, undoubtedly.
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

My apologies, I thought it was obviously satirical.
      Be the bid!

Comment

Apologies accepted Sten. Actually, I was rather referring to Drake's statement on GePap's humor (sure, Drake admitted he is bent towards bad taste )
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

such a fine civilization, lost.

Civilizations rise and fall. It happens.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

However the plauges had a lot more to do with the collapse of the Empire of Justinian and the slav invasions of the Balkans than the Arab invasion, which probably would have been beaten back or at least contained it wasn't for the decades of wars with the Sassanids. And then there's the Monophylitism of the Syrian and Egyptians which didn't make them all that loyal to the Empire...
            But the theory that plague didn't play that significant part in the conquests doesn't explain Arab conquests in Western North Africa and Spain very well. I agree that they wouldn't have made it if were not for the Monophysitism of Egypt and Syria, though.
            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
            -Bokonon

Comment

But the theory that plague didn't play that significant part in the conquests doesn't explain Arab conquests in Western North Africa and Spain very well.
              Well it does sort of, the collapse of the Justinian Empire allowed a decentralized Goth kingdom to take over Spain that never had that firm root since the regime was Arian (IIRC) while the population was Catholic. Similarly, the war with Persia lead to the stripping of forces from Western North Africa (Heraclius took the North African army to coup the Empire when he took over).
              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

I love discussing with history students!

If I weren't an engineer, I would have been a historian, for sure.
                "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
                George Orwell

Comment

hvb
                  “...This means GCA won 7 battles against our units, had Horsemen retreat from 2 battles against NMs, and lost 0 battles.” --Jon Shafer 1st ISDG

Comment

Working...
                  X