This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tamerlin

I knew the sentence sounded strange, I now know why.

Thank you Finbar !

By the way, I like the title !
    That's two votes!

" ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• I couldn't let you talk that way about England and France...

My thanks for defending the honour of those wonderful nations. I refuse to accept the allegation you were a liar there

With the coming Six Nations Tournament and the French Team assaulting "Fortress Twickenham"...
      Now it does make sense. Well you are bringing a more formidable set of forwards than any we saw in the November games (and before the SH boys start yes that was because of the men left at home in part!). But we are still favourites I think.

Though a sad result for a Welsh Rugby Team and somehow the worst one for the Welsh Rugby Union which is already experiencing big problems.
      But they have brought it largely on themselves sadly. They are trying to re-organise. The WRU is a larger (in terms of committee numbers) organisation than the RFU (and look at comparative population in England and Wales!) because every Welsh club (Pro or lowest amateur) used to send a delegate – they are trying to rationalise this before they can do anything else.

Imanol Harinordoquy...
      That’s the chap – if Martin rates him he must be good.

I have the regret to write I won't agree with such a title until the Six Nations Tournament...
      But you will afterwards perhaps?

To be honest if we do beat you we have beaten the other four of the top five teams in the world in just over three months – that does give the lads some cause to be happy in claiming number one?

I mean lets face it NZ recently lost a game, drew a game and won a meaningless fixture with Wales and went homing claiming to be the worlds best so I don’t think it is England who have the biggest problem with getting things in perspective eh?

In all seriousness Caligastia I’m sure you realise that another ref on another day (and basically not a weak SH type like both games had) and you would have badly lost both the English and French games - superb individual efforts from Howlett and a Wilkinson slip poach from Blair aside. I do wish your coaches would teach you players about staying behind the offside line on occasion. Then again if they did you wouldn't be quite so much the mighty All Blacks probably.

Rugby – No Oscars today Gentlemen?
      It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Imanol Harinordoquy...
        As French names go, it doesn't quite have the Maurice Chevallier ring to it, does it.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak
          In all seriousness Caligastia I’m sure you realise that another ref on another day (and basically not a weak SH type like both games had) and you would have badly lost both the English and French games -

Why does the name Neville Chamberlain spring to mind?

Comment

My thanks for defending the honour of those wonderful nations. I refuse to accept the allegation you were a liar there
            Is "hypocritical" better ?

Now it does make sense. Well you are bringing a more formidable set of forwards than any we saw in the November games (and before the SH boys start yes that was because of the men left at home in part!). But we are still favourites I think.
            I think playing at home is indeed an advantage but the french players will want to prove they are able to win away from from home. Wait and see...

But they have brought it largely on themselves sadly. They are trying to re-organise. The WRU is a larger (in terms of committee numbers) organisation than the RFU (and look at comparative population in England and Wales!) because every Welsh club (Pro or lowest amateur) used to send a delegate – they are trying to rationalise this before they can do anything else.
            I agree, but the problems are indeed very serious as the deficit of the WRU is important (mainly because of the Millenium Stadium), some clubs should merge and most don't agree with the plan of the Welsh Union.

That’s the chap – if Martin rates him he must be good.
            He is, sir !

But you will afterwards perhaps?
            (Tamerlin suddenly remembers he is a French asked to acknowledge the superiority of England and decides to use the "Finbar strategy"...)

After what ?

To be honest if we do beat you we have beaten the other four of the top five teams in the world in just over three months – that does give the lads some cause to be happy in claiming number one?
            Could you write with larger types, I have some problems to read your posts this morning...

In all seriousness Caligastia I’m sure you realise that another ref on another day (and basically not a weak SH type like both games had) and you would have badly lost both the English and French games.
            I agree, when will the International Board seriously think about this problem ?

I do wish your coaches would teach you players about staying behind the offside line on occasion.
            Offside is a word which has disappeared from the vocabulary of the SH referees though they seem to remember it from times to times when a NH team plays in the wrong part of the field.

Rugby – No Oscars today Gentlemen?
            Last edited by Tamerlin; December 13, 2002, 07:18.
            "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar
              As French names go, it doesn't quite have the Maurice Chevallier ring to it, does it.
              I think Imanol Harinordoquy is a Basque name and I must admit Basque names sounds strange even to our french ears.

The origins of the Basque people are shrouded in mystery, nobody knows exactly where they and their language are coming from.
              "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• [QUOTE] Originally posted by Tamerlin
                (Tamerlin suddenly remembers he is a French asked to acknowledge the superiority of England and decides to use the "Finbar strategy"...)

:Hmmm:

After what ?
                You're an apt pupil, Tamerlin!

Could you write with larger types, I have some problems to read your posts this morning...
                Ditto!

I agree, when will the International Board seriously think about this problem ?

Offside is a word which has disappeared from the vocabulary of the SH referees though they seem to remember it from times to times when a NH team plays in the wrong part of the field.
                You two remind me of a couple of old maiden aunts of mine who used to put their heads together and grizzle about everything that offended them - which was most things.

Comment

I think Imanol Harinordoquy is a Basque name and I must admit Basque names sounds strange even to our french ears.

The origins of the Basque people are shrouded in mystery, nobody knows exactly where they and their language are coming from.
                  I didn't realise the Basques extended into France.

Edit. I just looked up the Basque history. It's very interesting. They just appeared out of the hills to trade with the Romans. It's really not dissimilar to the Etruscans, who appeared from nowhere - in historical terms - and, sadly, inexplicably, disappeared again.

Comment

Why does the name Neville Chamberlain spring to mind?
                    Do you really think Havak is currently enforcing an appeasement policy ?

Whatever the case I prefer to think Havak has a better judgement than the 1937-1940 English Prime Minister.

Comment

Do you really think Havak is currently enforcing an appeasement policy ?

Whatever the case I prefer to think Havak has a better judgement than the 1937-1940 English Prime Minister.
                      Actually, Tamerlin, I invoked the Neville Chamberlain name as one of the great self-deluders of modern times.

Comment

You're an apt pupil, Tamerlin!
                        I'am not worthy, Sensei sama!

You two remind me of a couple of old maiden aunts of mine who used to put their heads together and grizzle about everything that offended them - which was most things.
                        You are not fair, we only grizzle about the SH heresies.

Comment

Actually, Tamerlin, I invoked the Neville Chamberlain name as one of the great self-deluders of modern times.
                          To be fair I must admit (ouch! it hurts...) the french authorities of this era were not much more skilled than the poor Neville Chamberlain.

Comment

• Possibly even worse? Chamberlain at least had the sense to resign in the end (a broken man - he died shortly afterwards).

Plenty of rugby related self delusion around this morning maybe - but none from me. I'm very clear on the fact that SH teams will struggle with NH refs more than we just witnessed NH teams baffled by SH ones. It's easier to adjust from an accurate imposition of the laws to a loose one than vice versa.

Myself and Tamerlin are totally right on this one - but the trenches are long established too.
                            It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

I didn't realise the Basques extended into France.
                              Yes, and the "Pays Basque" is a strong land of rugby, at least on the french side. Somehow it parallels the Catalan case (they both have the reputation to be very stubborn) as there is also a french side and a Spanish one.

Edit. I just looked up the Basque history. It's very interesting. They just appeared out of the hills to trade with the Romans. It's really not dissimilar to the Etruscans, who appeared from nowhere - in historical terms - and, sadly, inexplicably, disappeared again.
                              Their history is intriguing, I will have a look at the link later as I have an urgent work to start right now.

About the Etruscans, the young Roman nation has greatly helped the Etruscans to disappear into oblivion. The Romans have actually commited one of the first methodical genocide of human history. I used to say the Roman empire built itself on the ruins of the Etruscans.

Comment

Myself and Tamerlin are totally right on this one - but the trenches are long established too.
                                United we stand!

Comment

Working...
                                X