This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Havak
    Finbar doesn’t seem happy with my having been to La France.
    Yeah yeah, now flog it to death, why don't you.

I flew out on the same plane as the Tigers squad incidentally which was rather nice.
    You were like a kid in a lolly shop, huh?

*Havak thinks he's died and gone to heaven*

" ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar
      As I'am leaving in Southern France are you in a permanent state of anger with me ?

I guess he would rather imagine himself playing the H-Cup final with the Tigers between Tournaire and Freshwater if he were dead.
      "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Originally posted by Tamerlin
        As I'am leaving in Southern France are you in a permanent state of anger with me ?
        No, no. Not at all. I just envy you. It's those who live within a hop, skip and a jump of the place and utterly waste their location by only spending the odd weekend there - and mostly in bars! - who make me angry!

I guess he would rather imagine himself playing the H-Cup final with the Tigers between Tournaire and Freshwater if he were dead.
        Mmmmmm. Possibly. But I can just imagine him on the plane - serving J**** drinks, pouncing on and pocketing J****'s crumpled serviette, taking it home to add to the J**** shrine.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Just saw a TV interview with Eddie Jones. He was asked how he ranked the world rugby nations - at present - and where he thought the Wallabies fitted into the scheme of things.

He said he thought England and France were currently the strongest teams, with the All Blacks big improvers, and the Springboks - well, he was diplomatic about the 'Boks, commenting only that they had a few problems on their tour. (So did you, Eddie) He added that he thought England had to prove themselves away from Twickers.

As for the Wallabies, he said he thought they were "in the mix somewhere".

Comment

• Well, Eddie didn't mention Ireland.
            I thought the Wallabies had lost a match in Ireland recently...

On the H cup front, I hope Biarritz will manage to qualify. They lost their last match (so did Montferrand), so it will be harder than for Toulouse, but I'd hate to see only one French team qualified for the final phases.
            Clash of Civilization team member
            (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
            web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• Originally posted by LDiCesare
              Well, Eddie didn't mention Ireland.
              They did too. You're quite right. I imagine he hopes it was a one-off. In fact, it was pretty symptomatic of a very ordinary tour.

Comment

• Yeah yeah, now flog it to death, why don't you.
                Lives in a beautiful place like NSW and begrudges me a brief weekend in La France?

You were like a kid in a lolly shop, huh?

I had a few decent conversations with some of the lads. I’m long past the age of being ‘star struck’.

My friend Martin has made projecting surliness an art form. Naturally that did not stop me saying “all right boys?” to him and ‘Nobby’ West (former England hooker) and getting an “all right” and a nod in return. How I didn’t float up to the ceiling with elation I will never know.

Strangely enough I had that very dream whilst staying in Perpignan.

utterly waste their location by only spending the odd weekend there - and mostly in bars! - who make me angry!

Only when on tour – and not just bars. Most of our drinking time was in Cafes and restaurants in both Spain and France – we just finished the nights in a local bar.

Even so I did pay some nice visits to some exquisite scenery – and took in a fish market and local street market – visited a few wine showrooms and bought a few horribly expensive litres of slugging red (almost two Euros a litre some of the good stuff).

So I did a little cultural stuff.

taking it home to add to the J**** shrine.
                Please tell me how you knew that???

He added that he thought England had to prove themselves away from Twickers.
                Eddie Jones – PhD in redundancy?

I do agree he should have mentioned Ireland – they are playing as well as I think they ever have and must be a threat to anyone on their day?
                It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Well, Eddie didn't mention Ireland.
                  You are right, Ireland should be considered as one of the top teams in the world though I find them less impressive at this time. The Six Nations Tournament will see them playing against England and France, I can't wait...

I'd hate to see only one French team qualified for the final phases.
                  Bourgoin is in the same position as the Stade Toulousain, the two clubs are almost qualified.

Though the Biarritz Olympique has lost this week-end the club is not in immediate danger. The "Union Sportive des Arlequins de Perpignan" is also playing at home but needs more points than the BO as its situation is not as good.

At least two clubs will be qualified and possibly three.
                  "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Lives in a beautiful place like NSW and begrudges me a brief weekend in La France?
                    In a word - ABSO-BLOODY-LUTELY!

I had a few decent conversations with some of the lads. I’m long past the age of being ‘star struck’.
                    *s******s*

My friend Martin has made projecting surliness an art form. Naturally that did not stop me saying “all right boys?” to him and ‘Nobby’ West (former England hooker) and getting an “all right” and a nod in return. How I didn’t float up to the ceiling with elation I will never know.
                    And you needed a train - albeit late - to get home?

SCENE: An RAF base near the coast.

A RADAR OPERATOR turns from his radar screen:

RADAR OPERATOR: "Chaps? I've got a most peculiar object on my screen. It's floating across the Channel - receding hairline, blissful smile, ample build, could be a retired tight-head prop!".

Yeah yeah, I've stayed there too! And Carcasonne!

Only when on tour – and not just bars. Most of our drinking time was in Cafes and restaurants in both Spain and France – we just finished the nights in a local bar.
                    Havak - you could give Mrs finbar lessons in aggravation!

I do agree he should have mentioned Ireland – they are playing as well as I think they ever have and must be a threat to anyone on their day?
                    If "their day" amounts to playing the way they did against us, they would threaten most teams. The thing is, how much were they psyched up for that game. Heaps, obviously. Can they do it again?

Comment

Don't tell me you only have dreamt about this only once.

A Narbonnais (the town of Narbonne is just 30 km away from Béziers and the two are cordially hating each other which produces excellent Derbies) would tell you there is nothing to do in Béziers other than sitting in a Bar and drink something. If the same Narbonnais was sitting with you drinking a beer he would have probably added after having finished its beer that Narbonne's beer is better and found a reason why ("those ignorant Biterrois are cutting it with water"... etcetera).

So I did a little cultural stuff.
                      Isn't culture incompatible with a bunch of supporters ?

Please tell me how you knew that???
                      As a Great Shaman Finbar has earned some divination powers through his own shrine dedicated to David Campese.

Once again the Six Nations Tournament will answer many questions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tamerlin
                        Don't tell me you only have dreamt about this only once.
                        He only has 7 nights a week to sleep to dream, y'see. Allocate 6 1/2 nights to J**** and there's not much room for anything else.

A Narbonnais (the town of Narbonne is just 30 km away from Béziers and the two are cordially hating each other which produces excellent Derbies) would tell you there is nothing to do in Béziers other than sitting in a Bar and drink something. If the same Narbonnais was sitting with you drinking a beer he would have probably added after having finished its beer that Narbonne's beer is better and found a reason why ("those ignorant Biterrois are cutting it with water"... etcetera).

Isn't culture incompatible with a bunch of supporters ?
                        Only s***** supporters!

As a Great Shaman Finbar has earned some divination powers through his own shrine dedicated to David Campese.
                        Perhaps as a player, definitely not as a person. As a person, sadly, he's a d*ckhead.

Once again the Six Nations Tournament will answer many questions.
                        Having recently seen a lot more of the NH teams - France aside - than I'd seen for a long time, I'm looking forward to the 6 Nations with very great interest. I'm pretty sure we'll get them shown live here on FoxSports.

Comment

I’m long past the age of being ‘star struck’.

How I didn’t float up to the ceiling with elation I will never know.

I've never met any famous players myself. I used to be friends with a bloke who later got to play for the All Blacks. Andrew Blowers - He was on the '96 tour of SA as a reserve (lock I think). They brought him on a few times though. Great guy.
                          ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                          ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

• Currently plying his trade with Northampton Saints as it happens.

Some great exchanges today gentlemen - a shame work is keeping me too busy to join in!
                            It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• The thing is, how much were they psyched up for that game. Heaps, obviously. Can they do it again?
                              Never understimate fighting spirit. Here are reasons why Ireland could get psyched up against various nations:
                              Argentina: They bet them in last WC. Enough said.
                              Australia: They are the world champs.
                              England: They are English
                              France: If we beat them in the Tournament, they will want to avenge that defeat - otherwise, they don't need any psyching up.
                              New Zealand: They are the ABs.
                              South Africa: That is the only team I think the Irish might have problems with, particularly if the Boks play like they are used to playing.

And don't believe what Tamerlin says. Beziers and Narbonne are not cordially hating each other.

The cordial part, I mean.

And I had forgotten Bourgoin. Shame on me. Must have something to do with some TV channels saying "we will show a rugby match" and showing lengths of s***** instead...
                              Clash of Civilization team member
                              (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                              web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Never understimate fighting spirit.
                                The fighting spirit of the Irish players is legendary, "never give an inch" could be their motto.

A few years ago Ireland had the habit to loose their games in the last twenty minutes because they were only playing with their forwards who could not play at the same level for 80 minutes. This is no more the case and they now have backs, the team would be far more dangerous if they had a larger pool of players to choose from like England or France.

And don't believe what Tamerlin says. Beziers and Narbonne are not cordially hating each other.

The cordial part, I mean.

Narbonne and Béziers have a strange relationship, enemies they are and yet brothers they remain.

Must have something to do with some TV channels saying "we will show a rugby match" and showing lengths of s***** instead...

Comment

Working...
                                X