This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Journeyman
    You're running this thing? Well I better had take back what I said of you. A boofhead can't run a tipping comp, especially one with margins
    Have you ever come across an Australian you can offend?

PS. Ask some of these guys how long it can take for their winnings to be credited to their account while I invest them on the short-term money market.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Betting update

Originally posted by finbar

Appropriate! Looks a bit like the atmosphere on Wall Street 10 seconds before the Great Depression hit.
      Better check your subtraction there matey.
      ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
      ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar
        Yeah yeah, but if they hadn't invented it, my mother would've with her home brew kit (in fact, she did), you know that. So, apart from rugby, cricket, Twinings' English Breakfast Tea, the English language, fish and chips, and flat, warm beer?
        This fellow's too much. A valiant effort Caligastia.

Originally posted by finbar
        Hot tip: The only English invention I might not be able to pass off onto someone else is - you guessed it! - a tired, old, marinated, ex-tighthead prop from Leicester.
        I've heard him be called all sorts of things, but never 'marinated'. I think he's more a natural than an 'invention', but you gave too much away for a tip.

Have you ever come across an Australian you can offend?
        Not usually, but I once came across two at Stadium Australia during what they called "the greatest game ever" (Wallabies vs All Blacks). Was with a few mates so it turned into quite a bit of biffo
        "Where the internet be free, high technology there be" - Journeyman journeys to Hong Kong Airport

Comment

• Originally posted by Journeyman

This fellow's too much. A valiant effort Caligastia.
          ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
          ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Re: Betting update

Originally posted by Caligastia

Better check your subtraction there matey.
            Done. An honest American. You'll have your Green Card withdrawn!

BTW, I've just been watching a Heineken Cup match between Northampton Saints and Ulster on FoxSports. It was played sometime earlier in the season. (Edit. About 6 weeks ago) Northampton are using decoy runners all over the place and passing the ball behind them. So someone on that island knows how to do it!
            Last edited by finbar; November 22, 2002, 01:10.
            " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
            "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• I'll take South Africa over England, Australia over Italy, and Wales over New Zealand, because I'm feeling daring

Comment

• Betting Update #2

Andydog 277.5
                Bearcat 100-50 = 50
                Caligastia 68.5-60 = 8.5
                finbar 73.5-40 = 33.5
                Havak 90.8
                Journeyman 100-40 = 60
                LDiCesares 141.8
                Mickeyj 143.5
                NeoStar 114
                ravagon 94-30 = 64
                redbull 80
                Tamerlin 62.3

Bets placed to date are as follows:

1. England -v- Springboks (Boks 17 1/2 points start)

Journeyman 20 - England

Bearcat 20 - Springboks
                Caligastia 20 - Springboks
                finbar 10 - Springboks
                ravagon 10 - Springboks

2. Wallabies -v- Italy (Italy 20 1/2 points start)

Bearcats 20 - Wallabies
                Caligastia 20 - Wallabies
                finbar 15 - Wallabies
                Journeyman 20 - Wallabies

ravagon 10 - Italy

3. Wales -v- All Blacks (Wales 22 1/2 points start)

Caligastia 20 - All Blacks
                ravagon 10 - All Blacks

Bearcat 10 - Wales
                finbar 15 - Wales
                Last edited by finbar; November 22, 2002, 03:51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearcat
                  I'll take South Africa over England, Australia over Italy, and Wales over New Zealand, because I'm feeling daring
                  Okay, how much Civ Gold do you want to bet in each case? And you know we're betting margins instead of straight-out win/lose? I think it's called points spread (or similar) in your part of the world.

Comment

• How exactly do the margins here work?

Comment

• Well, we're working on the following basis:

1. England -v- South Africa. We're giving SA 17 1/2 points start, which means, basically, that if you bet on England, they have to win by 18 points or more for you win your bet. If you bet on SA, you will win your bet if they lose by 17 points or less. If SA draws or wins the game, a bet on SA also wins.

2. Italy -v- Wallabies. We're giving Italy 20 1/2 points start, so if you bet on the Wallabies, they have to win by 21 points or more. If you bet on Italy, they can lose by 20 points or less, draw, or win the game for you to win your bet.

3. Wales -v- All Blacks. We're giving Wales 22 1/2 points start, so if you bet on the All Blacks, they have to win by 23 points or more. If you bet on Wales, they can lose by 22 points or less, draw, or win the game for you to win your bet.

It's a betting system designed for contests where one team is clearly favoured to win. In a normal win/lose betting situation, no one is likely to bet on the outsider. This system makes it possible to bet on the outsider and still win. Essentially, we're handicapping the favoured team by requiring them to win by a certain margin.

Comment

• Okay, thanks. In that case.

20 on South Africa
                        20 on Australia
                        10 on Wales

Comment

• Gotcha.

Comment

• Betting Update #3

We now have Journeyman and Bearcat on board, lads.

Andydog 277.5
                            Bearcat 100-50 = 50
                            Caligastia 68.5-60 = 8.5
                            finbar 73.5-40 = 33.5
                            Havak 90.8
                            Journeyman 100-40 = 60
                            LDiCesares 141.8
                            Mickeyj 143.5
                            NeoStar 114
                            ravagon 94-30 = 64
                            redbull 80
                            Tamerlin 62.3-25 = 37.3

Bets placed to date are as follows:

1. England -v- Springboks (Boks 17 1/2 points start)

Journeyman 20 - England
                            Tamerlin 20 - England

Bearcat 20 - Springboks
                            Caligastia 20 - Springboks
                            finbar 10 - Springboks
                            ravagon 10 - Springboks

2. Wallabies -v- Italy (Italy 20 1/2 points start)

Bearcats 20 - Wallabies
                            Caligastia 20 - Wallabies
                            finbar 15 - Wallabies
                            Journeyman 20 - Wallabies

ravagon 10 - Italy

3. Wales -v- All Blacks (Wales 22 1/2 points start)

Caligastia 20 - All Blacks
                            ravagon 10 - All Blacks

Bearcat 10 - Wales
                            finbar 15 - Wales
                            Tamerlin 5 - Wales
                            Last edited by finbar; November 22, 2002, 10:26.

Comment

• I take SA, Italy (I might attend the game , actually. my first time ever to a rugby game) and Nz.

On other news.....
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Nahh...don't think so.
                                Damn. Given the way Finbar has slipped some dodgy margins through here I thought I had a chance there!

What, after all, has England given the world? Apart from Twinings' English Breakfast Tea?
                                Well Tamerlin’s answer was subtle and stylish but Caligastia hit the nail on the head.

Bitter. As in Real Ale. We should be hailed for that alone.

Then again Finbar’s suggestion had merit too.

South Africa must show they are able to play Rugby before I back them again.
                                You should honestly expect a better showing from them. After all everyone hates England don’t they?

I am not too keen on the guesswork margins. Lets gloss rapidly over you giving the 4th ranked team in the world such a start over the 3rd. I do so only because if the 3rd win they become 1st and if the 4th lose they become 5th with France taking 4th. Brain melting permutations!

The Zurich computer gives Italy over a forty points head start guys. And it tends to be conservative. Finbar has hood winked you all again.

And Wales need a five converted score margin. They really are that bad. Unless it rains NZ will utterly murder them.

In response to last week's headline in the paper saying "Can anyone in England play cricket?" A group of people were holding up a sign saying "Can anyone in Australia play rugby?"
                                Nice one. With all due respect to the Aussies who post here I have found in my experience that the best way to deal with the merciless Aussie baiting on sport is to hand it back twofold. It sorts the Finbars (those who can handle it) from those who can’t.

A large proportion of the loudest Pommie detractors suffer extreme sense of humour failures if you bite back – and I talk from personal experience.

I've heard him be called all sorts of things, but never 'marinated'.
                                They think I drink too much.

Northampton are using decoy runners all over the place and passing the ball behind them. So someone on that island knows how to do it!
                                Coached by Wayne Smith. Do you see the connection?

It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Working...
                                X