X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The betting wash-up

The final betting was as follows:

Wallabies -v- Ireland (7 1/2 points start for the Irish)
    Andydog 20 - Ireland

Havak 10 - Ireland

LDiCesares 10 - Ireland

finbar 20 - Wallabies

Tamerlin 10 - Wallabies

England -v- All Blacks (6 1/2 points start for the ABs)
    Andydog 50 - ABs

Caligastia 20 - ABs

finbar 10 - England

Havak 10 - England

Tamerlin 10 - England

LDiCesares 10 - England

France -v- Springboks (No margin, a straight win/lose bet)
    Havak 10 - France

LDiCesares 10 - France

Tamerlin 10 - France

Andydog 20 - Springboks

finbar 20 - Springboks (Just to make sure of a pot of Civ Gold! )

With the wins (including your original bet) as follows:

Wallabies -v- Ireland
    Andydog 35

Havak 17.5

LDiCesares 17.5

England -v- All Blacks
    Andydog 78.5

Caligastia 31.5

France -v- Springboks
    Havak 23.3

LDiCesares 23.3

Tamerlin 23.3

So our updated Bank A/c (after last night) reads as follows:

Andydog 186 + 111.5 - 20 = 277.5
    Caligastia 37 + 31.5 = 68.5
    finbar 123.5 - 50 = 73.5
    Havak 60 + 40.8 - 10 = 90.8
    LDiCesares 111 + 40.8 - 10 = 141.8
    Mickeyj 143.5
    NeoStar 114
    ravagon 94
    redbull 80
    Tamerlin 59 + 23.3 - 20 = 62.3

Any miscalculations are entirely due to my lack of sleep.
    Last edited by finbar; November 9, 2002, 22:49.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar
      1. Ireland 18 -d- Wallabies 9
      Where are the Aussies.

2. England 31 -d- All Blacks 28
      The margin, the margin !

I told you a simple Win/Lose was appropriate for this game...

A friend of mine told me the match was great.

3. France 30 -d- Springboks 10

The match was not very interesting, the two teams made many handling errors (especially the Springboks) and the South-African players proved, as usual, tough (sometimes too tough, some yellow cards would have been needed more than once). The SA half-scrum and the fly-half obviously don't know what the word imagination means nor what directing the game means. A very disappointing performance from the SA players especially after what you all have said on this forum after their last games in the Tri-Nations.

The game turned to a masquerade at the 13th minute of the second half when the referee asked the french players not to push the scrums anymore because the SA front row was no more comprised of two professional props, an injured prop and some clever coaching from SA made for the trick. Of course, the Springboks were not what we could call the dominant side in the scrums played so far. Ridiculous !

At least one thing doesn't change : "Butcher" James deserves its nickname.
      "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Originally posted by Tamerlin

Where are the Aussies.
        Fast running out of fit players and making far too many errors.

The margin, the margin !

I told you a simple Win/Lose was appropriate for this game...
        I shall never disagree with you again.

A friend of mine told me the match was great.
        Your friend has impeccable judgement.

At least one thing doesn't change : "Butcher" James deserves its nickname.
        Still at it with his shoulder charges?
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Fast running out of fit players and making far too many errors.
          Tired players in a bad day, OK ! My quote is a reference to a common song that can be heard on the french fields when a team is dominated, the supporters sing "And where are they, and where are they, and where are they the (name of the inhabitants of the town or area the team is coming from)" which gives something like :

Et ils sont où,
          Et ils sont où,
          Et ils sont où les (nom)

This song can sometimes be funny but I don't like it as it is rather cruel for the losing team which more often than not does not deserve it.

I shall never disagree with you again.
          Tamerlin read this sentence distrustfully.

Your friend has impeccable judgement.
          He has just seen the match.

Still at it with his shoulder charges?
          A few seconds after he came as a replacement, he charged Fabien Galthié with his shoulders, obviously the ball was not what he was aiming at.
          Last edited by Tamerlin; November 10, 2002, 08:30.
          "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Tired players in a bad day, OK !
            That's being very very kind. Apart from a lot of injuries - one player has already come home, and another will probably come home this week - their cohesion and coordination is letting them down. Maybe it's because last week's Test against the Pumas was their first match in nearly 3 months but they've certainly trained long and hard enough to be doing better than they're doing. In saying that, I don't want to take any credit away from Ireland - they played the game of their lives. They jumped the Wallabies at the start of the match and never let up.

This song can sometimes be funny but I don't like it as it is rather cruel for the losing team which more often than not does not deserve it.
            You're a kind-hearted person, Tamerlin. A bit like me.

Tamerlin read this sentence distrustfully.
            As the saying goes - "Oh ye of little faith".

A few seconds after he came as a replacement, he charges Fabien Galthié with his shoulders, obviously the ball was not what he was aiming at.
            He does that all the time! I've seen refs warn him and warn him but nothing gets done about it! Surely one red card would tell him to learn how to tackle.

Comment

• A friend of mine told me the match was great.
              It was truly superb - one of the best games of rugby I think England have ever played to be honest.

Though both teams had problems - I will go into that more tomorrow.

I also have to say the doomsayers were wrong - that was a team of players who are bang in form - and Taine was clearly devasted - he says he took the field fully expecting to win.

Oh yeah and I was right too - no margin was needed!!

I caght a fair bit of the Ireland game and I have to say conditions played the major part in the Wallabies losing - have you ever seen so much water on a pitch? That had to favour Ireland, though of course the boys did well to convert the advantage into the win.

The BBC summariser said one of the french tries was a candidate for try of the year - a shame I missed it on Sky.
              It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak
                It was truly superb - one of the best games of rugby I think England have ever played to be honest.
                And this is the one I have missed.

The BBC summariser said one of the french tries was a candidate for try of the year - a shame I missed it on Sky.
                I'am rather proud to say the two french tries were scored by two players of the Stade Toulousain :

- Cédric Heymans (45')
                - Vincent Clerc (76')

Comment

• This Weekend = ONE OFF

What a surprise ... stupid Telegraph making a big deal of it. Ireland finally beat us when key players were out/injured But in all honesty I'm at a loss to explain the kicking...

As for the France/South Africa game - I'm looking forward to seeing your team now Tamerlin, maybe they'll be more WC surprises from them. That certainly wasn't the France that'd come to Australia a while ago.
                  Last edited by NeoStar; November 10, 2002, 17:59.
                  "Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)

Comment

• Originally posted by NeoStar
                    This Weekend = ONE OFF
                    I don't think it's that simple.

What a surprise ... stupid Telegraph making a big deal of it. Ireland finally beat us when key players were out/injured But in all honesty I'm at a loss to explain the kicking...
                    Injuries aside, it was the way we played that is of concern. It was a very similar performance to the Tri-Nations game in arctic conditions in Christchurch. We couldn't then - and couldn't on Saturday night - do anything more than bring the ball inside and hit it up. We can't just be a fair weather, firm ground team. It's almost as if unpleasant conditions addle the Wallabies' brains and destroy their initiative - we had several overlaps set up on Saturday night that were ignored as the ball was brought back inside and we were crunched by the Irish defence. Add to that the overall sloppiness of the ball-handling and it was a sh*thouse performance.

That certainly wasn't the France that'd come to Australia a while ago.
                    It's not. They're now at full strength and playing at home.

BTW, Eddie Jones came up with an interesting statistic yesterday. Apparently close to 80% of Tests are won by the home team. I wonder what that means.

Comment

Injuries aside, it was the way we played that is of concern. It was a very similar performance to the Tri-Nations game in arctic conditions in Christchurch. We couldn't then - and couldn't on Saturday night - do anything more than bring the ball inside and hit it up. We can't just be a fair weather, firm ground team. It's almost as if unpleasant conditions addle the Wallabies' brains and destroy their initiative - we had several overlaps set up on Saturday night that were ignored as the ball was brought back inside and we were crunched by the Irish defence. Add to that the overall sloppiness of the ball-handling and it was a sh*thouse performance.
                      Hmm I can actually see that comparison. What do you say the Wallabies should do? I suppose they should be playing abroad more often. When you say we're a fair weather/firm ground team that can't be helped seeing that's how Australia usually is.

Originally posted by finbar
                      It's not. They're now at full strength and playing at home.

BTW, Eddie Jones came up with an interesting statistic yesterday. Apparently close to 80% of Tests are won by the home team. I wonder what that means.
                      That we have an 80% chance at the WC I like those odds.

Come on finbar - you knew that before. Besides the technical things, rugby crowds are right up there with the most vocal crowds in the world. Having been in a full Olympic mode Stadium AUSTRALIA (not the telecom company) during a game - they must have some influence.
                      "Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)

Comment

That you need to feel reassured.

Comment

That you need to feel reassured.

You're getting too good at your second language!

But it's still an odd statistic. Surely home ground advantage can't count for that much.

Comment

• Originally posted by NeoStar
                            What do you say the Wallabies should do? I suppose they should be playing abroad more often. When you say we're a fair weather/firm ground team that can't be helped seeing that's how Australia usually is.
                            I'm not sure where the problem lies. I doubt that it's player skills, per se, because there is plenty of skill in the team. I suspect that it has to be a combination of pre-match planning and on-field decision making.

On Saturday night, they knew the conditions they faced. Presumably the decision was made to use the tactics they did. But when their adopted tactics were constantly running into an Irish brick wall, there seemed to be no attempt to adapt. The Irish knew what was coming and played accordingly. Just as happened in the Christchurch match. On Saturday, it was the Irish #10's terrific kicking that killed us; in Christchurch it was Mehrtens doing exactly the same thing. Our dreadful discipline giving away so many penalties also, obviously, didn't help.

In fact, other options - running with the ball, exploiting overlaps - were ignored. I watched Stirling Mortlock ignore an unmarked Wendell Sailor outside him and carry the ball back infield, straight into the Irish defence. My thoughts on Wendell are well known, but he's in the team, for Christ sake, so use him. He touched the ball once or twice for the whole match.

I can only think our lack of adaptability comes down to leadership.

But I reiterate - the Irish played the game of their lives. It might be that nothing the Wallabies tried was going to beat them.

Comment

But it's still an odd statistic. Surely home ground advantage can't count for that much.
                              I don't think so, I'am one of the few considering that playing at home is a real advantage and that some teams (of which the Irish are) can transcend themselves when they are playing in front of their supporters in their stadium.

I don't know how it goes in the Southern Hemisphere and in Australia but in France and England (have you ever heard the crowd singing "swing low, sweet chariot") the supporters can heat the atmosphere to the point a kind of ecstasy can get hold of you (I have felt like this at least twice).

Imagine what the players can feel when they have to defend what they still consider as a sacred ground (the home field) in front of the said supporters.

Comment

• I know what you mean. I've heard the singing but never experienced it first hand. It doesn't happen here. I remember discussing this with Havak once before. We have no tradition of that sort of singing here, possibly because the game has never been as big here as it is over there. It's a pity it doesn't happen here because it creates a wonderful atmosphere.

Comment

Working...
                                X