No announcement yet.

EU to Recommend 10 New Members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey would be accepted if it wasn't full of Turks.
    True.

Many here think there are too many muslims here already. If Turkey joins, they may all go here. That's the way a lot of people nowadays think over here. Sadly.
    Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

I'm probably paying for Paiktis to do whatever he does
      and giancarlo. look at how Spain is freeloading. stupid third world country.

Comment

Spain only pretends to be poor to receive subsidies. It's not that bad really.
        "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Hanson
          Spain only pretends to be poor to receive subsidies. It's not that bad really.
          I know, they just get the donkeys out when then the money boys come round, kick some dust up and say oh look we're soo poor.

When they've gone they get their wads of euros out
          Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
          Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

"And this has what to do with Turkey?"

E. Germany didn't have a working judicial system. Depressed economically. Apalling human rights. No democracy.

Turkey is in much better shape on all of these issues besides economics than was E. Germany at that time.

"Many here think there are too many muslims here already. If Turkey joins, they may all go here. That's the way a lot of people nowadays think over here. Sadly."

I'm convinced that's 1/2 the heart of the matter, SM. Bring in as many atheists as possible. Leave faithful muslims at the curb. You should demand and expect better.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

"E. Germany didn't have a working judicial system. Depressed economically. Apalling human rights. No democracy."

Apart from economic depression, none of that held in October 1990. Also german reunification has gone completely wrong economically.

"Turkey is in much better shape on all of these issues besides economics than was E. Germany at that time."

Just the other way round. Economy wise it may even be better. On the rest it's much worse.

Comment

"I'm convinced that's 1/2 the heart of the matter, SM."

Well for now there are enough reasons apart from religion. That will boil up when Turkey meets the criteria.

Comment

A large part of europe isn't very religious, and nor is Turkey IIRC.

In most parts of europr protestants get on well with catholics these days.
                  Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                  Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

"Also german reunification has gone completely wrong economically."

I disagree. I see it as a matter of time rather than failed policy.

"On the rest it's much worse."

Had the Stasi been disbanded at the time?

"none of that held in October 1990"

Could you please give me some specifics on that? For instance, a link to the 1990 CIA Factbook or Amnesty report would be helpful.

"That will boil up when Turkey meets the criteria."

Hey, I've got an idea! Don't let it get to the point where there are actual negotiations going on for entry. Problem solved!
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I'm convinced that's 1/2 the heart of the matter, SM. Bring in as many atheists as possible. Leave faithful muslims at the curb. You should demand and expect better.
                      Tell that to the people who voted vor Le Pen, Haider, De Winter, (late) Fortuyn, etc.

Pim Fortuyn himself said that if it was up to him, not a single islamite would be allowed into the country. Similar, and even worse, comments have been made by many other politicians all over Europe, and many people agree with it. It's sad, I know, but it's the reality of present day Europe.

Comment

"I disagree. I see it as a matter of time rather than failed policy."

It is a matter of time. 30 years instead of 10, I guesstimate, due mostly to Kohl.

"Had the Stasi been disbanded at the time?"

Of course.

"Could you please give me some specifics on that?"

The regime fell in late 1989 and its apparatus fell apart. All you need is a brief of german reunification or the last year of the DDR.

"Hey, I've got an idea! Don't let it get to the point where there are actual negotiations going on for entry. Problem solved!"

I'm sure some would like that outcome, but the EU has been leaning out too far for that. If Turkey gets the basic things in order negotiations will start.

Btw it's far from certain Turkey will accept accession once it's negotiated.

Comment

eu is a pett progect of the political elete. wow let us watch now more jobs go away. soo n we can all be selling flowers and chocolates to fat amerika

we feel it like a uncared for colonist now. wont be long i move to sweden or italiay

Comment

Why aren't Malta and Cyprus already member they already meet the criteria for years?

I can't think of one reason to not allow Malta.

About the rest: a confederation has the right to accept or rejects who ever they want, on whatever way they want for whatever reason they want, even for no reason.

Comment

Malta was stalled when they had a leftie government that was opposed to EU membership.

Comment

"The regime fell in late 1989 and its apparatus fell apart. All you need is a brief of german reunification or the last year of the DDR."

So you're telling me that it takes but a year from the fall of the communist system, including the secret police, to be invited into the fold? From now on, I think I'm going to be more skeptical about this "it will take at least x years" argument.

"Btw it's far from certain Turkey will accept accession once it's negotiated."

True.

"It is a matter of time. 30 years instead of 10, I guesstimate, due mostly to Kohl."

10 years? It took at least 40 years from the reindustrialization of the South for it to start adding significantly to our bottom line.

Could you expand on what you see as policy failures?

Comment

Working...
                                X