Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EU to Recommend 10 New Members

EU to Recommend 10 New Members

BRUSSELS, Belgium (AP) - The European Union (news - web sites) headquarters will recommend Wednesday that 10 eastern neighbors be invited to join the continental body in 2004 in its most ambitious expansion ever.

However, the European Commission (news - web sites) will recommend that Turkey's application be kept on hold — a move that will displease Ankara and Washington.

The European Commission will not recommend a date for beginning entry talks with Turkey until Ankara further improves its economy, finances and human rights, according to the draft report on the EU's post-Cold War eastward expansion.

The United States, however, wants the EU to be more welcoming to Turkey because Washington considers it a loyal and strategically important Muslim ally in the war on terrorism.

The EU headquarters opened membership talks with Cyprus, Estonia, Hungary, Poland, the Czech Republic and Slovenia in March 1998 and with Malta, Romania, Bulgaria, Latvia, Lithuania and Slovakia in October 1999.

In a report to be issued later Wednesday, the European Commission will recommend that EU leaders invite all those candidates — except Romania and Bulgaria — into the body, increasing its membership to 25.

The invitations are expected to be offered at an EU summit in Denmark in mid-December. After that, national parliaments of the current members and the applicant countries must approve the deal.

The draft of the report said the 10 candidates have made "considerable" progress in recent years to get their economies and legislation in shape for EU membership.

"These countries will be ready for membership from the beginning of 2004," the draft report said, adding that much work remains to be done "in a limited number of specific areas."

While Romania and Bulgaria are democracies, they unlikely will be ready for membership until at least 2007 given their weak economies, the draft said.

Turkey is declared the weakest link because it "does not fully meet the political (or) economic" membership criteria, the report said.

It cites restrictions on freedom of expression, the torture of prisoners and not enough civilian control over Turkey's powerful armed forces that long have been a power behind the throne.

To meet EU norms, Turkey in August granted language rights to minorities and abolished the death penalty. Last February, after a severe financial crisis, Turkey embarked on economic reforms backed by a massive International Monetary Fund (news - web sites) aid package.

The EU now gives Turkey $172 million a year in "pre-accession" aid to help judicial reforms, small businesses and modernize the country's civil service.

The EU head office recommends doubling that amount.

The planned EU enlargement in 2004 parallels the eastward expansion of the NATO (news - web sites) alliance. NATO leaders are to invite Slovenia, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Slovakia, Romania and Bulgaria to join that alliance in November.

The enlargement of the EU faces some major hurdles, however.

On Oct. 19, Ireland holds another referendum on the Treaty of Nice, which was signed in 2000 and makes it possible for the EU to bring in 10 or more newcomers. The Irish rejected the treaty in June 2001 and a similar vote next week will throw the expansion plan into disarray.

Also, the EU hopes ongoing reconciliation talks between the Greek and Turkish Cypriot communities to end a 28-year division of the Mediterranean island will lead to all of Cyprus joining the union.

If the U.N.-sponsored reconciliation fails, EU member Greece wants the Greek half of Cyprus to join or it will veto EU enlargement as a whole.

Also, Ankara has warned it may annex the Turkish side of Cyprus if the north is excluded — a scenario with dangerous implications for Greece-Turkey relations.

EU-Turkish relations long have known ups and downs.

Although 96 percent of Turkey lies in Asia, the EU considers it a European nation. Turkey became an "associate member" in 1963.

It formally applied for membership in 1987 but was turned down along with Morocco.

In 1999, the EU leaders declared Turkey a candidate but held off on negotiations while opening talks with the 10 other neighbors.
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

I think they should all join as long as my taxes stop subsidizing the club med countries, Ireland and any of the new entrants
    Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
    Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

the whole world should join the EU.
      Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

However, the European Commission (news - web sites) will recommend that Turkey's application be kept on hold — a move that will displease Ankara and Washington.

The European Commission will not recommend a date for beginning entry talks with Turkey until Ankara further improves its economy, finances and human rights, according to the draft report on the EU's post-Cold War eastward expansion.

The United States, however, wants the EU to be more welcoming to Turkey because Washington considers it a loyal and strategically important Muslim ally in the war on terrorism.

Who care what the US and Turkey think. Not me.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

The Maltese have had the EU-symbol on their licence plates for years.
          CSPA

Comment

Do they have owls deliver the invitations?
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
              Do they have owls deliver the invitations?
              One of the more bizzare posts i've seen
              Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.

Comment

Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin

Who care what the US and Turkey think. Not me.

Now you know how I feel about Europe.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Damn muggles don't understand politics.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I don't understand why Turkey is being given the cold shoulder. It is hugely in the EU's interest to claim Turkey irrevocably for the West.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
                      Damn muggles don't understand politics.
                      The fact that you are talking about Harry Potter makes even more bizzare

Comment

It saves the embarresment of a greek veto

Comment

Interesting. Can one nation do a veto like that?

It just seems not in the EU spirit of being able to work out differences through active diplomacy.
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

When was the last time Europe did anything that made sense, Dan?
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Slow: True. True. It just baffles me that Europe doesn't want that real estate and 70 million pop. It has to be the most valuable real estate on the planet.

Edit: fixed pop. figure.
                              Last edited by DanS; October 9, 2002, 10:21.

Comment

Working...
                              X