EU to Recommend 10 New Members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanS
    Interesting. Can one nation do a veto like that?

It just seems not in the EU spirit of being able to work out differences through active diplomacy.
    They can but its embarrasing, they try not to raise any issue that would attract a veto.

Britain would veto some stuff so they are given opt outs instead.

Of course the french just ignore stuff they don't agree with
    Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
    Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

"Of course the french just ignore stuff they don't agree with"

Personally, I wouldn't give Greece so much deference (sorry Mark). It only has 10 million pop. There has to be some credit given to the greater good.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

on some issues you have majority voting and on some you need a unanimous vote, it is all very complicated but apparently is designed to stop the lareg countries dominating the little ones.

although if ireland don't vote yes to the Nice treaty there aint gonna be any enlargement
        Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.

Comment

"on some issues you have majority voting and on some you need a unanimous vote, it is all very complicated but apparently is designed to stop the lareg countries dominating the little ones."

Yes, this is very important. The U.S. spent a lot of time and creativity working out a compromise on this issue, so I can understand the tug-and-pull.

But 2% (Greece) or .5% (Ireland) of your pop stopping major actions? Don't know how that can continue.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Its one of the reasons the EU is not popular with some people especialy in the larger countries, all the little ones just stop any reform which lessens their handouts

Comment

There's enough teets for the suckling.

Does Ireland get a lot of handouts, even though they have probably now surpassed the U.S. in per capita GDP?

Comment

The International Olympics committee recognizes only five continents: North America, South America, Africa, Australia / Oceana, and Eurasia. I thinkt it's time that the EU stop being so provincial and consider opening itself up to membership to nations on the other side of its continent.
                "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

"I don't understand why Turkey is being given the cold shoulder. It is hugely in the EU's interest to claim Turkey irrevocably for the West."

It's not in our interest to have a half-democracy with no working legal system as a member. If it's so fantastic, the US can always admit Turkey as state 51.

"But 2% (Greece) or .5% (Ireland) of your pop stopping major actions? Don't know how that can continue."

It is a problem related to the structure of primary law; there are various solutions debated, we'll see what we come up with.

Btw, that percentage is about 6 % in the US IIRC, so it's not really a monumental difference.

Comment

There's enough teets for the suckling.

Does Ireland get a lot of handouts, even though they have probably now surpassed the U.S. in per capita GDP?
                    IIRC EU grants account for 2-3% of their GDP.

Comment

Slow: True. True. It just baffles me that Europe doesn't want that real estate and 70 million pop. It has to be the most valuable real estate on the planet.

Edit: fixed pop. figure.
                      Turkey would be accepted if it wasn't full of Turks.

I have reservations about Poland's (~40m) entry occuring with the others. Having Turkey enter at the same time would be way too big a step. Plus that porous eastern border doesn't fill me with confidence.
                      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Not that you'd know it by the state the country is in.

I don't know where all that grant money goes, but your average Irish citizen doesn't see any of it. Although members of the Dail gave themselves a nice little raise recently I believe...
                        STDs are like pokemon... you gotta catch them ALL!!!

Comment

At least Ireland appear to have done something with theirs money, tiger economy and all,

I'm not sure what Greece has done with theirs.

(Waits for hostile replies)

Comment

"It's not in our interest to have a half-democracy with no working legal system as a member. If it's so fantastic, the US can always admit Turkey as state 51."

I wouldn't mind doing so. We had the South during slavery and Jim Crow. DC was a segregated town 40 years ago, even though majority black.

Point is, things can change quickly when encouraged.

The U.S. has been very consistent on this. We encouraged the reunification of Germany immediately after the fall of communism, remember!

Comment

"Point is, things can change quickly when encouraged."

And some things take more time. One thing Turkey can't complain about is lack of encouragement. It's just that only very recently something happened.

"We encouraged the reunification of Germany immediately after the fall of communism, remember!"

And this has what to do with Turkey?

Comment

I have found a link showing how much each country gets and receives from the EU.

I'm probably paying for Paiktis to do whatever he does

Edit i'll attach it this time

Comment

Working...
                                X