Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unspoken black/white segregation: Choice or societal structure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someday, you will reach the enlightened path, Cal -- along with GP.

Black pride is legitimate, because for too long, they were blamblasted by white society that their culture and identity is meaningless, with no significant heritage.

Black pride is, and to a good extent, has undone this myth.

Just as gay pride is legitimate, while straight pride is not.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Refusing to consider someone as a potential friend becuase of their race is racist. That said, people are not going to associate with groups where they don't feel comfortable. Blacks tend to congregate together for various reasons: common interests, common experiences, common challenges. But no one should exclusively surround themselves with members of their own race, cross cultural interaction and understanding is critical for a healthy and vibrant society. However, to expect a black student to accept that he is a minority and as such, will perpetually be surrounded by whites in every situation, is unreasonable. What does it feel like for the one black guy in a dorm room full of whites when one of them makes a racist remark? If you're the one black dude are you really going to enjoy this and look for more of it?

In synopsis, I think its nice to have as many friends as possible, of as many races as possible. But humans need comfort zones. Give the blacks some leeway on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
        Someday, you will reach the enlightened path, Cal -- along with GP.

Black pride is legitimate, because for too long, they were blamblasted by white society that their culture and identity is meaningless, with no significant heritage.

Black pride is, and to a good extent, has undone this myth.

**** like this makes me angry, and makes me laugh, all at the same time.

So the yankees can't be proud to be the yankees but the cubs can be proud to be the cubs?

It's a bull**** argument, and I don't buy it for a second.
        "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
        You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer
          Well it's detrimental that people of only one group would only be with that group (ie- black universities... the graduates won't be ready for the diverse world as well as someone who went to a standard state school).

But I wouldnt say that blacks like blacks cause they have the same skin tone. That is plain not true, except in a very small racist minority maybe. Rather, people tend to be with people whom they encountered at an early age. Someone's family, for example, is of the same race as that person so they end up later in life being around their own race because of their early experiences. Add in the neighbourhood situation (where many neighbourhoods are predominantly one race) and similiar economic background (both of which result in similiar tastes and concerns) and there you go as to why people of one group congregate with people of that same group. A neighbourhood with 50/50 black and white would prevent these people from being around only their race, but they would still be around people with the same tastes and concerns common to that neighbourhood.

And where do mixed people belong in all this?

thanks
          one of the most intelligent things I've ever seen you post, Speer. And I agree for the most part.

Btw: I know about Malcom X, but his views were still very extremist, even after 'seeing the light'.
          "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
          You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Views like that are partly the problem with the US, in my opinion
            Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
            Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

it has to do with culture

'nuff said

Comment

I do have to add that Mr. Fun's comments are strangely hypocriticial and just weird.

Comment

Look, Black groups don't exist solely on the basis of their skin color. There is a strong, legitimate mission to reclaim everything that was lost from the slavery era. This includes religion, history, and arts like music and literature. All of these were obliterated from the legacy of slavery. These groups exist to re-form an identity that was stripped from them completely.
                  I think it's funny some of you bozos are taken aback by these groups when you have never been in such a position. When people say things like "where's white history"?- well, EVERY month is white history month. Why make set-asides to acknowledge the prevailing cultural and societal constructs? Get a clue

Dave
                  "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

edit: that post doesn't make any sense. maybe if I clear my head, I can rewrite it later

Comment

I'm a little older than most of you. I was in high school at the time that integrations via busing became a national fact. For a few years our school district cleverly bused in a double sized classroom of black teens in the morning, then promptly transferred all except the sports stars to Vocational school as soon as morning roll call was finished. Usually one of the coaches was posted at the door of the room they were held in. The thing that amazed me was that most seemed resigned or even relieved by this state of affairs. Those few times that I had a chance to talk to one I found that I could not elicit from them a clear opinion. What I sensed was an annoyance over the whole matter. They didn't want special treatment because of what it implied about them, but they seemed to want the benefits. For some it seemed they were never sure of their status.
                      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Yup, these evil all-blacks societies are creating a new form of racism. If it wasn't for Black pride, blacks and whites would intermingle and there would be no unspoken segregation. The Black Student Unions are brainwashing people to avoid other races. And the brainwashing is funded by the NAACP.

Blacks are to blame for this segregation because they insist opn hanging out with blacks, but white folks are innocent even if though they only hang out with whites.

What I find funny is how white folks often complain to their white friends about how blacks/chinese/whatever stick together.

At Canadian universities, it is quite common to have clubs for different ethnic and religious groups (Italian-Canadian, Chinese-Canadian, Catholic, Protestant, etc). The existence of these clubs did not divide the university. People could be a member of the club, but still hang out with people of different backgrounds.

Is this not the case in the United States?
                        Golfing since 67

Comment

Originally posted by DetroitDave
                          Look, Black groups don't exist solely on the basis of their skin color. There is a strong, legitimate mission to reclaim everything that was lost from the slavery era. This includes religion, history, and arts like music and literature. All of these were obliterated from the legacy of slavery. These groups exist to re-form an identity that was stripped from them completely.
                          I think it's funny some of you bozos are taken aback by these groups when you have never been in such a position. When people say things like "where's white history"?- well, EVERY month is white history month. Why make set-asides to acknowledge the prevailing cultural and societal constructs? Get a clue

Dave
                          Exactly. A race's history, culture, religion and language was almost completely wiped out by the trans-Atlantic slave trade. That any form of social cohesion survived is miraclulous. There are many things which we could label "societal content and consistency" which whites in the US take for granted (becuase they are granted in a hand out to them) which has to be re-establiched in black America. Things like black student unions serve this purpose.

Comment

answering tingkai...

It's most definitely the case in the united states- college campuses have many groups like the ones you mentioned. However, any club or organization that accepts university funding or office space must accept anybody regardless.
                            "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai

At Canadian universities, it is quite common to have clubs for different ethnic and religious groups (Italian-Canadian, Chinese-Canadian, Catholic, Protestant, etc). The existence of these clubs did not divide the university. People could be a member of the club, but still hang out with people of different backgrounds.

The nail has been hit on the head.

Italian-American societies are fine, Irish-American societies are fine, German-American societies are fine...but African-American? No, when it comes to African-American hyphenated terms are bad, that's when we're all supposed to just be American.

Right.

Comment

What DetroitDave, Carver, and Tingkai said.

Orange, I used to think just like you when I was 18 or 19. You're young, and still learning.
                                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                                X