Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unspoken black/white segregation: Choice or societal structure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You ever see a Game of Life style thing involving that? Even slight preference can rapidly cause segregation. Take a grid where you start out randomly distributing white and black dots. Each square can look at the 4 squares on each side of it. If you suppose that somebody would be reasonably happy living somewhere if at least half of its neighbors are the same color- which on the whole is pretty tolerant, you'd think it'd mean that totally mixed neighborhoods could easily form. So call a square unhappy only if 3 or more of its neighbors aren't its own color, and allow unhappy squares to swap places with other unhappy squares of a different color.

After only a few iterations of swapping things around, you rapidly find these massive neighborhoods of the same color appearing once the system becomes stable. You can think of it as if only one person is unhappy in an area- say because he happens to be a bit more isolated than everybody else- then he leaves, but then the new frontiersman may have just lost his support and is now alone, so he leaves, and you get a vicious cycle as everybody segregates and very firm borders form.

If you crank up the tolerance to requiring only 25% of the people in an area to be the same as you- you don't want to be COMPLETElY alone- then the neighborhoods still form, they just tend to be a bit thinner and the borders more erratic.

You can try it yourself with pennies and nickels on a chessboard. It's not really that computationally heavy and can easily be done yourself. Depressing, but it seems that's how we work. (and if you have a computer, you can of course make it far more complex with huge grids, farther look around, different types of people instead of everybody having the same tolerance threshold, and so on, but the same basic result is there. I remember an intersting computer variant: the Rwanda/LA riots simulation, where you have empty spots too, and populations grow, but packed in people can get antsy and occasionally attack neighbors of the different type. What normally happens is growth, war wherein mixed neighborhoods kill off the minorities, and then a slow war as whichever side ended up with bigger neighborhoods the first time slowly overwhelms the second side. Then you add in police/peacekeepers, whose purpose is to discourage conflict in the area they're at. They don't help mch th first time, but eventually they end up securing the borders around the minority neighborhood, leading to a stable peace solution, since people on the border won't fight. Of course, withdraw the peacekeepers, and watch as they return to their old ways, though.)
    All syllogisms have three parts.
    Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

While it is certainly not universally true, I have noticed at my high school blacks tend to act a good bit differently then whites.
      "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun

I see no need for NAAWP -- therefore, to me, it seems to be wasteful.

Again, white pride has been celebrated for the past 500 years, and now whites like you seem to be whining that this ego-stroking party is about to end.

I am not a self-hating white person, BTW.
        Being proud of your skin color is silly in all cases because you are born with it, so whats to be proud of? Where is the achievement? My point is that black pride groups are revered while white pride groups are accused of hateful racism. Total hypocrisy.
        ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
        ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
          A lot of things that are appropirate in "white culture" are completely inappropriate in Black culture.
          Use of capitals and lower case noted. Use of quotes noted. And I bet you didn't even notice.

Oh, America! And to think that you once strived to be land of the Free!
          "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
          "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

Chegitz is the most racist guy on here, and he doesnt even know it!

Comment

I agree with Caligastia
              "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by moominparatrooper

Use of capitals and lower case noted. Use of quotes noted. And I bet you didn't even notice.

Oh, America! And to think that you once strived to be land of the Free!
                  You are a shmart, little Shwede. You Amie impersonater, you!

Comment

Been drinking again GP?

Comment

Originally posted by GP
                      You are a shmart, little Shwede. You Amie impersonater, you!
                      That's supposed to be a Georgia attempt at an Euro pronunciation? You're waaay of, Southern Boy. Or is it the Southern Comfort speaking?
                      "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
                      "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

still room for working on the cuteness...

That's supposed to be a Georgia attempt at an Euro pronunciation? You're waaay of, Southern Boy. Or is it the Southern Comfort speaking?
                        gotta put a dipthong in that bo-ah.

And what gives you the idea that I drink? You're too new to have seen me embarrass myself...

Comment

Re: still room for working on the cuteness...

Originally posted by GP
                          gotta put a dipthong in that bo-ah.
                          Hey, I'm not the one affecting silly accents...

And what gives you the idea that I drink? You're too new to have seen me embarrass myself...
                          Well, you know - rumors flying all over the place.

Comment

Re: Re: still room for working on the cuteness...

Hey, I'm not the one affecting silly accents...
                            Hey Amie is correct. Ask Roland. And other stuff is just GP cutey, cute talk. Not ethnic.

Well, you know - rumors flying all over the place.
                            I need to "plug" those leaks.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: still room for working on the cuteness...

Originally posted by GP
                              I need to "plug" those leaks.
                              Whatever tickles your fancy, GP. Perhaps we can set you up for a date with some of the more out members of this community?

Comment

you matchmaker, you...

Comment

Working...
                                X