Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unspoken black/white segregation: Choice or societal structure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bullsh!t. I don't only want to hang out with whites. I would love to hang out with blacks. But they have no desire to hang out with me. Although most whites don't want to hang out with me as well .

I hate it when people turn things around to make me look like a racist because I'm white. I can't help it if no black person wants to be friends with me.

Comment

MrFun: You walk a dangerous road. Most people agree that denigrating one arbitrarily formed group is somethingism and bad. But isn't raising one arbitrarily formed group up the same thing, and imply that the other groups are worse (the "pride" movements?)? I myself have no problem with gay equality, although gay pride implies that there's something special, different, and great about being gay- when I thought half the point of some of the early crusaders was "we're just the same as everybody else."

Re Black culture being mangled by slavery: I have no doubt that this is true. However... this is an open ended question, but what is culture? And why should I or any other person adopt a certain culture just because our great great grandparents had it, but in the intervening time didn't? I'd rather choose my own culture based off of my own decisions. Now I don't deny people's rights to use whatever "culture" they want, but I sure hope that the pitch they hear has nothing to do with being obligated to do so on the basis of their skin color.
      All syllogisms have three parts.
      Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

I have to side with Mr. Fun on that one. That isn't the definition of pride. I could copy and paste it, but I'd sound like an a$$hole doing that (well more of an as$hole anyways)

but I must add that my ancestors culture was mangled when coming to this country. For one they were forced to adopt an american name. I have no idea what my name is supposed to be. And I won't even go into my ancestors religion that was not accepted in the U.S.

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer
          What DetroitDave, Carver, and Tingkai said.

Orange, I used to think just like you when I was 18 or 19. You're young, and still learning.
          Guynemer...with all due respect...don't ever say anything like this to me again.

My opinions and thoughts are just as valid as anyone elses, age has nothing to do with it.

and Tingkai's comments shouldn't be directed at me, becuase I have said no such things to which his rebuttal is directed.
          "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
          You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Well, most black people don't have the luxury of knowing who their great great grandparents were, let alone what their original family name was. I consider the yearning for blacks to re-affirm their lost culture comparable to the Jewish people seeking to document the Holocaust through the Shoah project and the like. Histories get lost in a homogenized culture, and cultures marginalized. It isnt just about attaching a set of cultural values based on skin color.
            "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
              bullsh!t. I don't only want to hang out with whites. I would love to hang out with blacks. But they have no desire to hang out with me. Although most whites don't want to hang out with me as well .

I hate it when people turn things around to make me look like a racist because I'm white. I can't help it if no black person wants to be friends with me.
              Why would you "love" to hang out with blacks?
              Golfing since 67

Comment

hey I like black women O.K. The more I'm around the better chance I have to score . I've only been with one . But of course it would be racist to say I prefer black women over white women. Let's just say I like them each for seperate reasons .

Comment

Originally posted by Carver
                  Italian-American societies are fine, Irish-American societies are fine, German-American societies are fine...but African-American? No, when it comes to African-American hyphenated terms are bad, that's when we're all supposed to just be American.

Right.
                  Absolutely not.

You're trying to turn this into a racist's rant, and it is no such thing.

And besides, it's just the opposite...Black student unions are a norm, white student unions are racist and unheard of.

I don't feel there should be either, why not just a student union, or student unions based on common interests...

You can have a student union of people who enjoy rap music, and that wouldn't be racist, or a student union of people who like to debate, and that wouldn't be racist, or a student union of people who like playing computer games, and that wouldn't be racist...

...but WHY base a student union on race? It implies all black people share the same interests and all like each other, but how can that be since all people are PEOPLE.

On a somewhat related note, why is everything "African American" yet there are "Black" fraternities and "Black" Student Unions?

Also - why would any non-black join a 'black student union'? Doesn't the name REPRESENT all that is racial segregation??
                  You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

Comment

sounds like a good place to meet women. I think I'll join a black student union.

Comment

Originally posted by DetroitDave
                      Well, most black people don't have the luxury of knowing who their great great grandparents were, let alone what their original family name was. I consider the yearning for blacks to re-affirm their lost culture comparable to the Jewish people seeking to document the Holocaust through the Shoah project and the like. Histories get lost in a homogenized culture, and cultures marginalized. It isnt just about attaching a set of cultural values based on skin color.
                      So have a society for Holocaust historians, not a "Jewish American society"

Comment

hey I like black women O.K. The more I'm around the better chance I have to score .
                        Now that I can understand.
                        Golfing since 67

Comment

sounds like a good place to meet women. I think I'll join a black student union.
                          You know...

Next year, I think I'm going to do just that. Becuase I'll be honest - I don't KNOW what they discuss. I don't know what the purpose of the student union is. So I'm going to do just that, I'm going to find out...even though I think it contributes to segregation.

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai
                            Why would you "love" to hang out with blacks?
                            JERRY
                            [is re-dialing] Should 'ave talked to her; I love Chinese women.

ELAINE
                            Isn't that a little racist?

JERRY
                            If I like their race, how can that be racist?..
                            ~Seinfeld

Comment

I knew some white guys who joined the Chinese-Canadian club at my old uni, partially to pick up women, but mainly because they were learning Cantonese.

The other great thing about the cultural clubs is that they would celebrate their holidays with good parties, free food, and you were really lucky, free booze.
                              Golfing since 67

Comment

Originally posted by orange

You know...

Next year, I think I'm going to do just that. Becuase I'll be honest - I don't KNOW what they discuss. I don't know what the purpose of the student union is. So I'm going to do just that, I'm going to find out...even though I think it contributes to segregation.
                                Most likely they discuss the same things you do. Although I sure feel out of place around my sister-in-laws male relatives. They like football and I don't.

Comment

Working...
                                X