Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unspoken black/white segregation: Choice or societal structure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unless the purpose it to find a mate - of course not, I agree...

but the underlying message of a white person saying "Yeah, I mostly hang out with whites because they're like me" is "RACIST" while the underlying message of a black person saying "yeah, I mostly hang out with blacks because they're like me" is "Cultural support"
    "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
    You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by orange
      but the underlying message of a white person saying "Yeah, I mostly hang out with whites because they're like me" is "RACIST" while the underlying message of a black person saying "yeah, I mostly hang out with blacks because they're like me" is "Cultural support"
      exactly.

MrFun, do you think this organisation is racist?

If you dont, then there are plenty of others who do, simply because the organisation is white.
      ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
      ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

I understand the argument, Orange.

But I still say that most people would not see any prevelant racism in either case.
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

yes they would

Comment

Cal -- I checked the website.

To me, it sounds like it's a redneck, hill-billie club based on paranoia and wasteful white pride.

White pride has been celebrated for the last 500 years, already.
            It's a wasteful club, but not necessarily racist.

Comment

Your own predjudice shows MrFun, your scorn for white pride proves you are a self-hating white. You would never talk this way about a black pride group

Comment

My basic point in bringing the issue up is this...

African Americans are segregating themselves from whites through things like Black Student Unions, and all black groups of friends, which only hurts them as far as their relations with society go. I'd feel the same way about a white guy saying "hey, you want to hang out" as I would if an African American said the same thing to me, but you don't have that. And why? It seems that the reason why is because they want to support each other...well that's only going to make the society seem racist when in fact it would not be otherwise.

I know there's lots of people who don't care about race, people are people, you may like 'em you may not, but they never really get a chance to hang out with African Americans because they seem to want to segregate themselves in their own way.

It's not their fault, but I ask why? Why does this happen?
                You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

Comment

Originally posted by Caligastia
                  Your own predjudice shows MrFun, your scorn for white pride proves you are a self-hating white. You would never talk this way about a black pride group
                  I see no need for NAAWP -- therefore, to me, it seems to be wasteful.

Again, white pride has been celebrated for the past 500 years, and now whites like you seem to be whining that this ego-stroking party is about to end.

I am not a self-hating white person, BTW.

Comment

the NAAWP borders racism, definitely, because of a few beliefs taken straight from their website, including "High birth rates of minorities will soon make them control the government. We can't let this happen" etc.

...but I don't have a problem saying that Malcom X was an idiot, becuase his views are even worse than that....and I shouldn't be labeled a racist because of it.

Comment

I have noticed this kind of segregation, but I am not entirely sure what the reason is behind it, it doesn't seem to be a thing of 'hate those whites' but simply identification and common experience. I used to have a lot of friends at university who were Indian and they seemed to associate with each other a lot. But then again, I never had any problems associating with them as well, they were always very friendly and outgoing.

I don't actually think it is a thing of discrimination but identification; common problems in their life which they want to overcome.
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                        Again, white pride has been celebrated for the past 500 years, and now whites like you seem to be whining that this ego-stroking party is about to end.
                        for me it's the opposite. I don't think there's a need for either. And who cares how long it's gone on. There was no 'white pride' groups, it was simply white Europeans who had the most control.

White pride and Black pride are both the same thing, and shouldn't be differentiated simply because one is of a group that is historically on top, while the other is a group that is historically mistreated.

Comment

Orange, you can certainly disagree with an ideology of a black activist and not be called racist.

Comment

Well it's detrimental that people of only one group would only be with that group (ie- black universities... the graduates won't be ready for the diverse world as well as someone who went to a standard state school).

But I wouldnt say that blacks like blacks cause they have the same skin tone. That is plain not true, except in a very small racist minority maybe. Rather, people tend to be with people whom they encountered at an early age. Someone's family, for example, is of the same race as that person so they end up later in life being around their own race because of their early experiences. Add in the neighbourhood situation (where many neighbourhoods are predominantly one race) and similiar economic background (both of which result in similiar tastes and concerns) and there you go as to why people of one group congregate with people of that same group. A neighbourhood with 50/50 black and white would prevent these people from being around only their race, but they would still be around people with the same tastes and concerns common to that neighbourhood.

And where do mixed people belong in all this?

thanks
                            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

oh yeah and Orange... Malcolm X moderated his views before his death which was why he was shot by his own follower... The basic ideas of Malcolm X in my mind were legitimate and not particularily hateful. Take Farrakhan for example... He has a bad habit of painting the black man as a God and whites as devils but you can't argue with his basic premise of having black men take responsibility for their actions and live moral lives as good muslims. It's Farrakhan's moral concern that is legitimate and should be listened to, not by blacks, but by all people.

(but then again... A good bit of the KKK's idealogy is legitimate Christian values. Damn... people sure love to ruin a good idealogy with racism or extremism. dont they?)

thanks
                              "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

It just shows that you should look beyond religion for your morals and ethics.
                                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                                X