Bands that everyone likes but you don't

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bands that everyone likes but you don't

Obviously, we're not talking about any mass marketed crap like Backstreet Boys or anything like that. Rather, we are talking about bands that are very popular amongst people of, well, a crowd like us, that you just don't get.

For me, there are two biggies for this.

Nirvana. I mean, I've listened to some Nirvana, and they're... well, OK. The band plays well, but there's something in Kurt's singing style that just doesn't click, and overall it just doesn't quite register why the band's so popular. Maybe it's because in upper elementary school I knew this one guy who was a total Nirvana fan, and he also was quite an arsehole.

Ramones. Yes, I know, they defined punk, yaddayaddayadda. Whatever. There are, AFAIK, two good Ramones songs, one of which is "I Wanna Be Sedated" and other is "Bonzo Goes To Bitburg". Others... blech.

So, what are your bands-that-everyone-loves-but-you?
    "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
    "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

REM. What a load of mimsy, pretentious rubbish.

U2. Utter drivel.
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

REM
      "Let us kill the English! Their concept of individual rights could undermine the power of our beloved tyrants!"

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc

Comment

Rolling Stones

The "Seattle scene" in general

Comment

Great thread Stefu!

REM gets my vote.
          ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
          ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Yeah, I didn't really get Nirvana either. I much prefer Foo Fighters.

U2 and REM I always saw as a little bland.

I never dug the Stones either.

Along the punk lines, I always found Bad Religion fairly ordinary, which is rather surprising...
            Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

No Doubt and Rolling Stones

Comment

Linkin Park, Korn, basically anything "alternative". Expressive my a** . . . All the tracks are is three to five minutes of screaming, swearing, and crying. Even less value than Tataristani blank verse.
                Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

U2!
                  In da butt.
                  "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                  THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                  "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. President
                    Linkin Park, Korn, basically anything "alternative". Expressive my a** . . . All the tracks are is three to five minutes of screaming, swearing, and crying. Even less value than Tataristani blank verse.
                    Actually, there is no cursing on Linkin Park's album.
                    "Let us kill the English! Their concept of individual rights could undermine the power of our beloved tyrants!"

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc

Comment

Slipknot, Linkin Park, Korn... I prefer musical instruments played, not tortured.
                      Metallica, Aerosmith and Nirvana could also be mentioned.
                      Last edited by Kassiopeia; March 11, 2002, 19:45.
                      Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Personally, I've never liked the Beatles much. One or two tracks yeah, but the rest
                        Too young to die, too rich to care.
                        Too f***ed to swear that I was there.

Computer games make your children smell like hammers

Comment

Rolling Stones and Elvis Presley music.

Comment

I don't like this nu-metal music, P.O.D, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, they all sound and they even dress the same...
                            Its quite funny, white people trying to rap and play 2 riffs per album and they even call it metal....
                            Some people never get crazy...but truly boring lives they must lived...

Comment

The Specials. Lah-di-dah politically appropriate white-boy pale copies of real reggae. It's so... flat when compared to the real thing.
                              Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                              Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Working...
                              X