Originally posted by JohnT
    People in real life that I know are gay:

Starchild
    Mr. Fun
    Asher (bi, I think)
    red_jon (bi, I think)
    My wife's cousin
    3 co-workers, two in the office, one out in the field
    My brother (?) Actually, I think he's asexual, but...
    What were your first clues, John?

But seriously, people argue over percentages of population that is gay. It usually ranges from 3% to 10%. I tend to believe that 5% of the world population is gay. Who knows the percentage that are bisexual.

And just because you do not know a friend who is openly gay, that does not mean you have a friend or family member who might be a closeted bisexual or gay/lesbian. Remember that -- you might have a friend or family member who is closeted and not even realize it.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I've known gays and bis in high school (albeit, not in mine). Of course, this is Austin we're talking about.
      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
      -Bokonon

Comment

I think homosexuals are more common in University than in the real world. The number of open gays is between the number at Uni and the number at High School. In Uni lot of people experiment, and they might be gay for a while, but as they grow older realize it was just experimentation. Because there are a HELL of a lot of homosexuals are university that just don't match the population at large.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Re: Are Gay People Common?

Originally posted by Albert Speer
          nah i mean for real i heard that 10% of males are gay but I have never known anyone who was gay or bisexual or nothing like that. Maybe its just cause i live in philly or something but no one is gay. I aint ever know anyone gay. is this strange? do yall know people in real life who is gay?

thanks
          I always got the impression that homosexuals were fairly prominent in Philadelphia, but perhaps I am wrong. It just depends on what kind of circles you hang around in I suppose, at uni you will be exposed to lots of different people. I know a good number of gay/bi people, and 10% of the population wouldn't surprise me particularly.

Good move MtG, little **** deserved it!
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun

What were your first clues, John?
            There's something about your avatar...

BTW, glad to have you back!

Comment

That "No great leader was gay" line is a classic. Three English kings were definitely gay, one of which was Richard Lionheart. Another 3 were probably gay, including our one-time patron saint Edward the Confessor.

Of the Civ3 avatars, Alexander the Great dabbled on both sides of the fence, so it looks like games imitate life.

As for Albert Speer's lack of exposure to gays? I believe he's still at school, and schools are about as homophobic an environment as you can get.
              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Imran, get it into your thick skull, homosexuality is not a choice. Perhaps a few people do "experiment", but they're certainly not going to be the ones who you notice are gay.

Personally, I'd like to think that you notice that people are gay at University because it's open and liberal, rather than close-minded and bigoted.
                Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny
                  That "No great leader was gay" line is a classic. Three English kings were definitely gay, one of which was Richard Lionheart. Another 3 were probably gay, including our one-time patron saint Edward the Confessor.

Of the Civ3 avatars, Alexander the Great dabbled on both sides of the fence, so it looks like games imitate life.

As for Albert Speer's lack of exposure to gays? I believe he's still at school, and schools are about as homophobic an environment as you can get.
                  Not to mention Julius Caesar's more than dabbling on either side of the fence.
                  When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Heck, good chance that all the great Greek leaders dabbled on both sides. That and hetaira (highly educated courtesants) were sexed. for them. You wouldn't want to be a 30 something greek with a good income and all, and then go gaga in front of your young innocent bride?

And Blisterz. Whatever works for you. You love her. What other people think of that is rather moot. As long as you're sure it's what YOU want, and it is what SHE wants, you're right, and the others are wrong.
                    Fire and ice and death awaiting. But he was steel, he was steel.

Comment

There are some historians today, who argue whether President James Buchanan of the 1850's, was gay. We're just not sure if he was heterosexual, or homosexual. Or maybe bisexual??

A modern community leader who was gay and introduced important propositions for both, heterosexual and homosexual residents, was Harvey Milk of the 1970's.

Today, Rosie O'Donell, who is a popular and widely known celebrity, and until recently, had her own talk show, is a lesbian.

There are also prominent men in Wall Street whom I cannot remember their names who are gay in today's business world.

The first director of the FBI when it was established in the early 20th century was gay and had a relationship with another man, who was the assistant director of the FBI.

These are only some of which I remember right now.
                      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Today, Rosie O'Donell, who is a popular and widely known celebrity, and until recently, had her own talk show, is a lesbian.
                        That's showbiz. Who knows if she's telling the truth, perhaps she's just promoting herself and her extremely popular show (just look at Ellen D. and Anne H., portia de rossi). A lot of "from straight to gay" stars recently, don't you think?

Comment

Is that a surprise? You can't throw anything at a group of actors without it bouncing off several homosexuals. Many of our greatest actors are gay, though most aren't "out".
                          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Here in Racine...there are very few homo's. Its a small city...you say hello to everyone who walks by. I see faces I recognize everyday...usaully. I do not know 1 gay person. Im not doubting there here. But I havent seen 2 guys holding hands down the street, yet! In this city of 30,000. Probably a few hundred...I venture to guess.

Also that 10% is a bit high and rounded off. I think the real figures were about 7-8% of the General population.

And it all depends on where you are. Really...Urban area's tend to have higher concentrations,so goes the trend.

I think
                            San Fransico and Boston , are for a lack of a better, America's Gayest cities!

Comment

Noone in my age I know of has yet came out. Actually, it's pretty weird, Greater Gothenburg has a pop of ~750.000. It will be very interesting, however. Actually, I and some friends have placed bets on who will step out of the closet...
                              Last edited by Juggernaut; February 23, 2002, 16:25.

Comment

Hi everybody... after a big disaster with my computer where I had tons of screw-ups I finally got it working.

I just want to say I think homosexuality/bisexuality all has to do with choice/environment. Nothing purely on the genetic level. I really don't care because it doesn't affect me as I don't know any gays/bis... I haven't seen any in Buenos Aires either ever. A city of 13 million and not one. I got a feeling the percentage that are out is less than 1% here.

(BTW, I also want to apologize for that comment I made about firing squads or whatever it was)
                                For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Working...
                                X